From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

8 Nuzyael 720

+2
Kugald Daas
GM
6 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

8 Nuzyael 720 - Page 3 Empty Re: 8 Nuzyael 720

Post  Guest Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:16 am

Barak Daas wrote:
"Did Cunate free you?" he'll eventually ask.

"It's not that simple. He can't force Clan Surenaal to quit their claim on me. But it amounts to much the same, for the moment."

Withyout waiting for an answer Barak says, "I too am here because I choose to. I may be Daas, but Dass dosn't have a claim on me. Not any more. If I want to leave Daasland I will."

"That's an interesting attitude. I'm curious why a Daas would say such a thing."

"You two should make your peace, or ignore each other. It isn't good to have such disagreement in the warband."

"I'm afraid it will ever be thus. Algared considers me arrogant and incautious. And I consider those my best virtues."

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:32 am

Hovik says. "I'm afraid it will ever be thus." to which Barak replies "And, you too should moderate your language. A warband is only strong through unity: like a wolf pack. Fragment us and we're no better than than a flock of Ptarmigan put to flight by the Ivae eagle. If you don't want to be that bloodstained heap of white feathers in the eagles talons, then beware of alienating Algarad."

Before we approach the thran, and definately before we get within evesdropping distance of the men, Barak will turn to Kugald "Well Kugald, what is your plan? Do we go in to the thran fully armed and demand they turn over Reike to us?" He smiles broadly, and hopefully disarmingly, "Or like the fox amongst the geese, do you have a more cunning stragem in mind? Should some of us wait here, whilst a couple of us go in to the thran to meet Thorin and find out what are next steps should be? Or should we all head to river to pretend we're seeking a ferry to Trond and have nothing to do with Thorin? Perhaps we should circle Milnheim and pick up the road to the south - if Reike is not here, in Trond or Upsala he must have gone that way. Personally, I would not be too quick to discount Reike still being in, or around, Milnheim; and if he is he has likely seen us coming."

And then to Hovik: "Where is Thorin? The meadhall you said? Is it that big building down by the river front? And did you find out if any clan Daas live here? I am sure we stopped here when I was a child - my father's boat, I mean."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Algared shakes his head as Hovik sings his own praises once more. As the band slows Algared sips some waterfrom his water skin, then kneels to rest, ready to rise if required, he turns to his Cousin and listens to his proposed plan for grabbibng Gerbhert.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:41 pm

OOC - GM: We still need a list of who would recognize Gerherbt (besides Hovik and Jurri). Also, I wonder whether any of us know the territory above Milnheim. It seems unlikely that we would know any of the thrans above Milnheim, so I'll just refer to "heading up the valley".

--

"Thorin will be in the meadhall, harassing the poor serving girl. The area seems oblivious to the war going on across the mountains, so we don't seem to need much subterfuge. But as Kugald pointed out, we have very little authority here."

Hovik provides his opinion. "The most likely possibility is that he continued up the valley, and is a half-day ahead of us on this same road. If he was heading to Trond he probably would have crossed the river yesterday rather than staying here. But we can't discount the possibility that he had some reason to prefer staying in Milnheim."

"We have two advantages over Gerherbt. We have two horses, which give us speed. And we have lots of bodies, which lets us cover more possibilities. I suggest we send three of us over to Trond to cover that possibility. I suggest we send the two horsemen up the valley as fast as they can go. And the rest of us follow up the valley on foot."

--

Responding to Barak, Hovik shrugs. "What am I supposed to do? You heard him - he takes offense at what I say even when I'm not talking to him or about him. Am I supposed to not talk to anyone just because he's a Daas and he doesn't like it? All I can do is try to ignore him, but I think that just makes him stew all the more."

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:16 pm

Hovik wrote:Hovik provides his opinion. "The most likely possibility is that he continued up the valley, and is a half-day ahead of us on this same road. If he was heading to Trond he probably would have crossed the river yesterday rather than staying here. But we can't discount the possibility that he had some reason to prefer staying in Milnheim."

"We have two advantages over Gerherbt. We have two horses, which give us speed. And we have lots of bodies, which lets us cover more possibilities. I suggest we send three of us over to Trond to cover that possibility. I suggest we send the two horsemen up the valley as fast as they can go. And the rest of us follow up the valley on foot."

"No sooner do we gather as a whole, and you would scatter us to the four winds again? while we are still in Menglana we may not be in friendly territory. We know spies have been working for Ibanvaal, and we know our king hates the Storzars with a passion and decrees that none support the defence of Froyahiem. If we split how are we to inform others what transspires? My fear is we split and like the kingdom that should be united to face a foe will end up facing a foe piecmeal what together we would best but singularly will be crushed by. While splitting into smaller parts enables us to cover more ground it is useless if we encounter agents or Ibanvaal or others intent on foiling us."

Algared thinks to himself that while Hovik would certainly not fight he'd probably just switch his thralldom for thralldom to stay alive then talk his captures to death. He continues,

"And before any go across to Trond, since it appearsfor what Hovik reported that Gerberht hasn't crossed here, I would feel more comfortable knowing where Tejaal stands politically within the kingdom, are they pro-Stalher or Storzar or looking out for themselves. My question is is two fold and unfortunately I can think of no answer that eases my mind. Given what we believe we know of Gerbhert not being skillful enough at politics to work things successfully to his advantage. Who was he working with or for if not Ibanvaal? Why head this way and stop here, who was he meeting if anyone. I cannot imagine he would abandon his clan and merely run, he may be unskilled at the game of politics and rather rash and boastful but cowardice is has never been among the traits I've heard listed." Algared looks around to each and every member of the group seeking their input, and knowing Kugald will choice what ever action he believes will best serve their needs.

Last edited by Algared on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:19 pm

Barak Daas wrote:
"Should we then", says Barak, "be tramping across their lands, dressed in armour and carrying weapons, like the warband that we are?"

"Good point, cousin." Kugald takes off his helmet and hangs it from Gauk's saddle horn. His shield is already hung over his back. "Everyone just take the opportunity to relax your fighting state. Take off your helmets, sling your shields and generally just try to look less like a troop ready for war and more like regular Vikings who are just wearing their armour because it is easier than carrying it."

"As for Hovik," he looks him up and down and shakes his head, "I don't think he could get any less ready for war!"

Jurri Grebel wrote:
I think we should consider hiding our heavier arms and armor, or leaving them in Upsala. It would do no good to attract the suspicion of the locals. We shouldn't need war gear to deal with Reike in any event.

"I don't think people will be too surprised by our arms and armour, we are Vikings! If anyone asks, we have just come from the muster at Ygesdram. Everyone knows it is far easier to wear armour than to carry it."

Barak Daas wrote:
Before we approach the thran, and definitely before we get within eavesdropping distance of the men, Barak will turn to Kugald "Well Kugald, what is your plan? Do we go in to the thran fully armed and demand they turn over Reike to us?" He smiles broadly, and hopefully disarmingly, "Or like the fox amongst the geese, do you have a more cunning stratagem in mind? Should some of us wait here, whilst a couple of us go in to the thran to meet Thorin and find out what are next steps should be? Or should we all head to river to pretend we're seeking a ferry to Trond and have nothing to do with Thorin? Perhaps we should circle Milnheim and pick up the road to the south - if Reike is not here, in Trond or Upsala he must have gone that way. Personally, I would not be too quick to discount Reike still being in, or around, Milnheim; and if he is he has likely seen us coming."

"I agree, we will need a plan."

"Since this is Tejaallund not Daaslund, I don't think it is wise to send men out around Milnheim, as they may be seen as spies."

"I think we need to appear as unthreatening as possible. We should walk openly into the village to the town square. Once we arrive, Hovik, since you have already been there, you can go find Thorin? When you find him, bring him back to the group. Everyone else, once we reach the square, take a break, sit down and relax, but keep your eyes peeled for Reike.

"Once we speak to Thorin, he should know if there is any other news."

"If Reike is still in the village, we can make a plan to seize him."

"If Reike has crossed the river or gone further upriver, we can follow him."

"If Reike is no where to be found, then we can make a plan to split up and fan out to pick up his trail again."

"If anyone asks, we are travelling to Trond to arrange a contract to purchase iron for my master's forge at Ygesdram. Our friend Reike was supposed to meet us at Upsala to help with the negotiations. We missed him there and we are looking to catch up with him before we carry on to Trond."

GM wrote:
The thran seems alive with the activity of a thran going about it's daily business.

Between the fortification and the wharf sits a market, it bustles with activity, it is a little larger than the market of Ygesdram but not by much. Much of the activity around the thran is centred here.

You draw looks from some of the local clanhouses as you approach.

Kugald smiles broadly and waves hello to the locals as he walks casually into the village. He gives polite greetings to those he meets on the road. He glances back at the other members of the band. His body language indicates that they should be friendly too.

They make their way into the village and head down towards the water, docks and meadhall.

TTYL

- Kerry

Last edited by GM on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Post edited by GM)
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:31 pm

Removing his helm, and then slinging his shield by it's strap over his shoulder Algared walks besides Kugald as they enter the market square. He greets the locals who pass and catch his eye. "You know Kugald, we should find a nice tavern of place to sit and eat a light meal."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:02 am

"Do we know anything about the Gerherbts? Do they live beyond Daaslund? Could he have kin here?"

Last edited by GM on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Post edited by GM)
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:03 am

Everyone would be able to recognise the Valhakar of clan Gerherbt. He is a prominent member of the thrangaard and thus would have attended thengs (meetings) etc.

Given that Erdrick, Borygg and Barak went into Rojanstad alone to have a look around, you would have at least thought they knew who they were looking for..... Very Happy
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:05 am

Right. That guy.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:16 am

As for any holdings that the Gerherbt's might have outside of Daaslund - you have no knowledge of this but it would seem highly unlikely.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:22 am

Walking down the hill you enter the thran, you make your way towards the market square where Hovik points out the meadhall.

You secure your horses outside and provide them with water.

The warband makes their way over to the meadhall and on entering find that the meadhall is quite busy, around 20 people occupy tables and benches as they eat and drink. Thorin is sitting by himself with several empty tankards sitting in front of him.

Thorin invites you all to join him with a wave of his hand.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:50 am

Barak has no armour to take off, he already has his shield slung on his back, and is carrying his spear in a easy grip. Looking at his mud-splattered and dusty clothes he dosn't think he could look less warlike if he tried.

After entering the meadhall, Barak will count through his meagre pennies [OoC: nine] and decide he can probably afford some food. Shame the Jarl didn't say anything about paying for his services.

Barak sits down at a free spot. He'd like a roast hare - but since he hasn't been able to do any hunting, any food would be good. A pint of small ale would quench his thirst too. He tries to catch Hovik's eye, if successful he asks "Shall I order food for you too?". He will then attract a server and order a modest meal, or two. "How much is that?" he'll ask.

If Thorin is close, he'll ask him "Is the beer good here?" in an attempt to find out if he is as drunk as it looks like he should be. However, he'll leave the questioning of Thorin to others. He'll hopefully have a good meal to consume, and he is right about needing to quench his thirst.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:03 am

"Thorin, my friend, how are you doing?"

Kugald gestures to the barmaid to bring drinks. He silently curses the Valhakar's chamberlain for being so stingy with the money. He has just a half a dozen of his own coins and eight remaining from the dozen the chamberlain gave him. He decides that at the next opportunity, he will sell off one of his pieces of jewelery. He is uncle's son to the Daas and leader of a warband. He should not have to worry about money!

Once drinks and food are provided, Kugald leans in so they can talk without being overheard.

"So, any word of Reike?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:04 am

Hovik grins at Kugald's playful insult.

He also peers curiously at Barak counting his pennies. "Aren't you a Daas? Don't you get to fill your purse from the Daas' magic kettle of silver before you go out every morning? Like Kugald does?! Don't worry about me. I've taught my stomach to growl on demand, and that usually gets Kugald to buy me a meal." Wink "Besides, I don't think we'll be here long. Our quarry is on the move!"

To Kugald, "The iron story is pretty good, and will get us by the casual onlooker, but aren't we a few too many for that? If we're pressed by say, the Tejaal, perhaps we should admit that we're also looking for any man who might be avoiding the muster. The Tejaal would probably respect that answer, since he'd likely do the same if he was mustering."

Finally, Hovik counts the empty mugs in front of Thorin and deduces that he hasn't learned anything new. "Kugald, let's not waste any more time here than we must."

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:43 am

Jurri will remain toward the rear of the group and try not to draw any attention. He'll keep an eye on the others in the room to see if anyone appears to be checking us out.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:14 am

Hovik says: "Aren't you a Daas? [...]"

"I am a Daas by name, but that does not make me a much loved son; and no I don't get to dip in to Cunate's wealth. Or anyone else's for that matter. The Jarl may send me off on to do his dirty work, though am not sure why he thought there was need of a hunter, but he does not think to feed me or compensate me for my time, just as the game is rising up in spring."

[OoC: "Don't worry about me." So Barak will order something simple for one, some bread and yesterday's leftovers no doubt. He'll happily drink Kugald's small ale."]

Hovik then says "The iron story is pretty good [...]"

"You should not jest in such a crowded hall. People might think you make some sense, rather than taking you for the simple fool that you are."

And then hovik says: "Kugald, let's not waste any more time here than we must."

Barak rejoins: "We must rest and eat, and there is no point charging off until we know which way are friend went. We need to find out if he left a message for us saying where we can meet him. Sit and enjoy the ale, while you are still be offered some."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:28 pm

Barak Daas wrote:... The Jarl may send me off on to do his dirty work, though am not sure why he thought there was need of a hunter, but he does not think to feed me or compensate me for my time, just as the game is rising up in spring...

"Ahh Cousin, Blame not the Jarl for your being bundled with our little band. I believe you may find we asked for you by name. And just because you are not the favoured son do not assume you are unwanted or treated as an outcast by all." Algared says quietly to Barak. As he fishes what few coins he has from his pouch. "Guess I should have sold my spare helm for some hard coin afterall." He says with a lame smile.. "At least we aren't carrying any wounded and aren't lost in the hills, though if we ever do become lost in the wilds I can't think of a better group of companions to be lost with. For together we have all the skills we would want or need to thrive."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:53 pm

Borygg takes a seat at the table with the others, orders some simple (cheap) fare, and thanks Kugald for the ale. He will try to position himself such that he can observe the room as well as possible and keep eyes/ears open (Awareness 85).
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:39 pm

Algared (compressed) wrote: Ahh Cousin, just because you are not the favoured son do not assume you are unwanted. I can't think of a better group of companions to be with."

"Sorry, I spoke out of turn" Barak grins "It just irks me to have so little money. Winter is a hard time for hunting, and what little excess I made went to Gelda and my sisters. I am here with no money, and I can't even hunt for my food. I do not like going begging to Dass clan houses anymore than I have to. If you are part of the muster at least the Jarl feeds you." he shrugs "At least here you are less likely to end up dead." Barak then gestures around the group "And you are right, we are a great group. The finest of Ygesdrams youth. And you have all made me welcome for the day I have been with you." he pauses "What I want to know is why we need this high quality iron so much; that it worth us all coming for it."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Barak Daas wrote:
"What I want to know is why we need this high quality iron so much; that it worth us all coming for it."

Kugald smiles broadly and raises his tankard in a toast, "Why, to make the fine new weapons our Jarl has demanded, of course! That is what a weaponcrafter does!"

"We don't need so many people. Thorin and I would normally suffice, but then I invited my cousins Algared and Barak along to keep them out of trouble. Of course, there is my thrall," he gives Hovik a wink. "I don't go anywhere without my thrall..." Kugald puts on mock dramatics that sharply conflict with his huge size and rockhard muscles, "I could be injured at anytime!"

"Then, there is my good friend Jurri...I couldn't be without his fine singing voice to lull me to sleep at night!"

He clinks glasses with Borygg and Edrick, "And finally, there are my two new friends...who will be carrying the iron samples to Ygesdram on their backs! Frankly, I am a little concerned...Borygg and Edrick are wasting away...how will they possibly carry 40 lbs of iron each???? Eat my friends, you will need your strength."

Kugald waves over the innkeeper. "Good sir. My friend here," indicated Thorin, "was supposed to locate our missing companion, Valhakar Reike Gerherbt, however Thorin seems to be so deep in his cups he can't talk!"

"Have you seen him, Reike is yay high," showing his height with his hand," in his forties, with a beard, reddish brown hair, of 'generous' size...as befits a valhakar. He was supposed to meet us here. He would have arrived last night in the rain. You wouldn't happen to know where the old bear is staying, would you?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:27 am

Thorin says that he was unable to find out anything more about Gerherbt. He rebuffs your ideas at him being drunk on so few ales "They were small ales at that!" he exclaims.

The girl turns are moves away from the group and disappears into another room. She returns a few moments later bearing plates of food. She places bowls in front of everyone and ladels a pottage of beans, cabbage and duck into each bowl.

Once everyone has been served their food the girl moves away again, this time there are several others calling their orders to her but she waves for them to hold and tells them she will be back in a minute. The girl returns in a few momnets brandishing tankards for everyone.

The innkeeper makes his way towards the warband "Is anything wrong!" he says. He listens to Kugald and a look a relief comes across his face when he discovers that you are only looking for someone. "Aye, I remember him he arrived yesterday, but left this morning."

Placing the tankards down on the table she listens to Kugald description. "I told them this earlier" the girl says as she points to Hovik and Thorin.

The girl turns to attend to other patrons "Some friend" she says as she leaves...
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:37 am

Serving girl wrote: "Some friend"
"Why do you say that?" Barak enquires politely.

GM wrote: "[Girl] ladels a pottage of beans, cabbage and duck into each bowl."
Barak tucks in to his pottage with gusto. By the sounds of it they havn't a clue, and a long walk with no certainity of shelter or food lies ahead.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:23 am

The girls is off attending to other customers and either does not hear your question or chooses to ignore it...
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:30 am

Hovik looks more than a little impatient. He steps outside to gauge how much sun is left.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next