From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battle tactics

5 posters

Go down

Battle tactics Empty Battle tactics

Post  Barak Daas Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:54 pm

Since everyone is together, Barak takes the opportunity to talk to Kugald about our combat tactics.

[OoC: I know this could be seen as a continuation of Barak's "critisims" of Kugald but I mean it in a contructive way.]

"Kugald, we did well to win that battle despite being out numbered, but it was a near run thing, out centre was breached and we were nearly out flanked on both sides. Borygg and I were able to down some of the enemy with our bows and we were able to stave up the weakened flank. I am sure we're in that role because we're both great bowmen. However, we are also excellent spearmen. I think I am the best in this warband, and Borygg is better than many of out first-rankers."

"Would it be better for us to be in the front line making sure that our centre dosn't give way; and moving some of our less martial warriors to the second line? Unfortunately, I don't know who can replace us as archers."

"Looking at the wounds on Algarad and Jurri I am still worried that we risk them too much by putting them in to the front line. Algarad, from what I have heard, is our best healer and should be protected. And if Jurri dies who is going to sing of our heroic achievements - we'll just be forgotten which is as good as death itself."

"By the way, from the back, I could see what happened in our centre. Kugald, you did such a good job of punching through the enemy line with your strength, but left the rest of our warband behind. We need to stand shoulder to shoulder, like a line of Wisent, to be at our strongest in a shield wall."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Battle tactics Empty Re: Battle tactics

Post  Kugald Daas Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:31 pm

"I agree, it is a good time to talk," as he sits back against his backpack.

"You make several good points. Both you and Borygg are excellent spearmen. However, you are both our best archers too. When I set up our fighting order, I tried to pair a good bowman with a non-archer who could provide a shield to cover him while he was shooting."

"This works well when we are on our own and only confronting a small number of opponents. However, in a massed battle like we fought in today, that organization puts our most skilled warriors on our flanks and leaves the others in the shield wall on their own. While we will usually have the support of other Clan Daas warriors, we don't fight with them everyday and they don't owe us any loyalty. Look at today, as soon as the battle shifted, they left us and went off on their own."

"So, let's readdress the fighting order…"

"Algared…loyal and true," Kugald claps his hand on his shoulder, "a fine cook, with some 'special' skills, but still learning when it comes to combat. Am I right?"

"Barak, you are an all around skilled fighter with spear, club, shield and bow, but you have only quilt for armor, and could use some mail or other armor for close combat."

"Borygg, you are also as skilled as Barak, but have the same issue, you need better armor."

"Jurri, a solid warrior, but that isn't your true calling. Your lack of armor makes it even more dangerous in the front rank. It is wrong of me to force you to the fore so often. Like Barak says, who will recount our exploits should you fall?"

"Vidar, our brave and fearless priest, perhaps you have more courage than training and more heart than armor. While Sarajin will appreciate your fervor, I would hate for you to be collected to him too soon.

"Thorin used to be the other 'heavily armored guy' in our shield wall, but since he was called back to the huscarls, we can't depend on him being part of our team any more."

"Finally, there is me. I am the equal of Barak and Borygg in skills, but have the advantage of mail armor."

"That is a long winded way of saying that perhaps a reshuffle is in order, at least when we fight in a shield wall, as opposed to when we are on our own. I suggest Barak, myself and Borygg in the first row, Jurri, Algared and Vidar in the second row. I also think either Barak or Borygg should take the new mail byrnie they found. We should try and find another as soon as possible. With three of us in mail in the front rank, I think future fights will be less desperate and we will be better able to exploit any advantages that come our way."

Kugald sticks his dagger into the goose cooking on the spit, and asks Algared, "Is it ready yet?"

"So, anyone have any better ideas?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:13 pm

'I agree Kugald, in a fight like today we need Barak and Borygg in the thick of it, although I'd wager their charge into the flank is also wait aided us today. I'd be a liar if I said I saw their charge unfortunately I was preoccupied.

If we move them both into the front line we need to ensure they have armour to match. Barak has vambraces and mail and both have 3/4 helms, they do a nice job of helping keep our good looks with the face protection." Algared laughs, "That's important especially when you as good looking as we all are."
"We need to aquire find a gambeson for each and a byrnie as well if we intend to place them in the front line. May I suggest then that until both can be so equipped we only place on in our front, having them wear the new mail. That will leave the other to support the attack with archery and be a reserve. Once we acquire the armour needed we can move them into the front line also. Similarly we should seek to make sure our battle priest has suitable equipment as well. As much as I feel my skills declare I shouldn't be in the front line, I will go where needed, whether it is the front or with te baggage train, if it will bring glroy to the Daas.

We should also get you a 3/4 helm make sure we keep you pretty boy looks in good order... I dont fancy explaining to the girls or your mother why you're no longer as handsome a Daas as Barak or I." Algared smiles.

"I also think next time we we all hurl those throwing spears, we only launched half a volley before the charge. One advantage is that we wont be encumbered by them any longer and will hopeully be able to either remove more of the enemy shields or warriors."

"I wouldn't say I am the best healer, my skills promote healing, in the case of the wounds our band recieved today I think they have been taken care of, and with fortune by tomorrow will be gone completely."

Alged looks over Vidar's armour taking note of how heavily armoured or not he appears.

[ooc what armour/clothes does Vidar have. I couldn't find his armour set so i have no idea whether he is in leathers, mail, quilt or cloth.]
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:16 am

[OoC: Barak dosn't wear quilt armour, and he currently hasn't got chainmail or vambraces (but both are still up for grabs in the "sharing the loot" thread) - apart from his helm, the nearest he comes to armour is homemade fur leggings, and a better (i.e not poor) quality leather vest]

Algared wrote:'I'd wager their charge into the flank is also aided us today"
"We stopped their flanking warriors and even turned their flank and threated to get behind them. I hope you are listening Jurri do our heroic deeds" Barak laughs at that.
Algared wrote:"We need to aquire find a gambeson for each ... we only place on in our front
"Okay," says Barak "I'll volunteer to be the in front, I know that Borygg wants to practice his skills as an archer. If we need extra bow support, I can can always drop back and help. I am sure Vidar will be happy to accompany us."
Algared wrote:I will go where needed
"No one is doubting your courage Algarad, or yours Jurri. Your skills lie elsewhere, and are the more valuable for it. We're in an army of warriors, Kugald and I can be easily replaced."

"As for the spears, I agree with you. The first volley gets rid of their shields, the second rid of the shield holders. But in this case the enemy may have closed with you whilst you were still throwing the spears and before you were ready to recieve a charge."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:44 am

"I truely did not imagine Kugald or anyone of our band were insulting my courage, Barak," Algared laughs, "making comment regarding my skill at arms maybe, but never my courage."
Algared prods the roasting goose, causing juices to ooze from the pricked skin, "I wont deny, my skill at arms is not my among the best skills I have, but if needed I'll be there. As for the spears we threw only half the line threw, and only one volley. Had the whole line thrown or both volleys been thrown from the rear we may have had more removed from the fight. Though Kugald and you are warriors and probably understand the nature of combat better than I. Certainly had they charged before we were ready to recieve a charge things would have been dire.

Now cousin, what is this you say about you merely being warriors and easily replaced? What good are archers without warriors to cover for them, or cooks and healers if the warriors are missing. Our strength is in our unity. We work as one, whether it's cooking, singing, healing, shooting or even looting. If we function as one then we succeed.

If you are going to take the front line, then you should take the new mail byrnie and as soon as we can we should equip you with a gambeson. Personally I'd rather see Kugald, Vidar, you and Borygg with gambessons and mail if you are in the front line, for that matter if I am being placed as one of our front line I'd want to ensure I was also equipped in like manner. At present though we do not have the required armour so we must seek to ensure those who are are suitably protected."

Last edited by Algared on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:22 am

"That plan seems worthy. My own dilemma is twofold," Jurri begins slowly.

"While I can fight in my defense or the defense of others when there is no better way, a skald should not take up arms under any lord, even the one he serves. To attack betrays my role as an observer and chronicler of others' glory. I am not supposed to be seeking it for myself."

"While I was busy in our shield wall today, I was not where I should have been, and I am ashamed to say I failed to witness not one but two acts of great glory, worthy of song: one from our army, the other from an honorable foe."

Jurri speaks in earnest about both men, clearly upset that he failed them:

"Uthaal Hermarson, the enemy valhakar fought valiantly against the warriors of clans Batheson and Nildrom. When he finally fell, his men fought and died merely for the honor of defending his body, though there was no hope of victory."

"Denwaal Batheson also brought honor to himself and his family today. Wherever the fighting was thickest, he was there, despite many wounds. He swore not to retire so long as the Grey Slayer gave him breath and the strength to wield his sword. It was his attack that finally seized the gates from the enemy; his valhakar was waiting for reinforcements to arrive."

He pauses briefly before continuing.

"While I would not see any of you harmed by my absence, there are many here who can fight ably in the shield wall. If I am to do what the Daas expects, I must be able to move to where I can observe such deeds. I fear my efforts were of little consequence in our line, besides."

"If the Daas sends us on another mission, or if we are attacked like we were by the Leim, I will gladly fight alongside any of you. Even the Daas cannot order me into battle against the enemy, however, I have done that myself. Twice now I have let my friendship outweigh my judgement. By taking part in these military charges, I am forfeiting my tradition."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:25 pm

Kugald listens to the other's comments.

"Good ideas. Borygg, are you willing to be our designated archer?"

"If so, I would suggest the following," he leans over and sketches a crude diagram in the dirt with his dagger.

Enemy

Barak - Vidar - Kugald

Jurri - Borygg - Algared

"If this is the case, I think Vidar should take the mail byrnie. Barak, you should be the next in priority to get armor as soon as we can get ahold of some."

"Jurri, this puts you in a position where you can watch the battle. You may be called upon to defend yourself and our left flank, but Barak should keep most of the bad guys away."

"Algared, this puts you with me. This way, you can carry your shield in your right hand...to protect our right flank."

"Borygg, by placing you in the center, this allows you protection so you can concentrate on your bow work. In the skirmish on the beach, Neirin stood behind me and fired continuously. The protected position allowed him to fire at quite close range and broke up the enemy line. I would suggest that we find a couple of extra quivers for Vidar to carry on his back. That way, you can draw extras from him when you run out."

"I also agree with Algared, we should all try and throw both of our javelins before the shieldwalls hit. That way it will wound some and break up their formation."

"One thing I also want to talk about is our packs. They weigh us down and slow us up in combat. I think we should try and drop them if we can and then recover them after the battle. Thoughts?"

Kugald sits back and grabs a greasy goose leg and digs in while he listens to the other's comments.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:02 am

Kugald wrote:"I think Vidar should take the mail byrnie"
"Agreed. Just remember that it is shared loot." When Kugald is finished, Barak says "If I am to be in the front line I am taking the kubul vambrace then." He put the right one on, and discards the left one. "Its not a bad fit" he says.

"As for packs. I agree I don't want to carry my pack in to battle, but nor am I willing to abandon it to the mercy of the looters on either side. I doubt we can spare someone to guard it - we should have brought a young lad to look after are things. So I carry it. Do you have any better ideas? Also, another reason to chuck these spears is they get in the way if you are holding them in your shield hand; but if you drop them at your feet you are likely to trip over them in the melee."

"What says you Borygg? Are you happy in the second line, and for Vidar to have the mail we found?"
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:59 am

With regards to the mail, I would say if it fits both designated for the front line, then we allocate ot to whoever has the greatest need, If the is need is dire then maybe maybe we can use some of the coin we have and trade with someone who has some spare in their loot. I'm sure they would rather coin to lugging an extra mail Byrnie. If we cannot aqcuire one then if my gambeson fits, my reward from the Leim river, then I will surrender it. But if so I will seek to avoid combat, that spear thrust to my shoulder would have been a lot worse had I not have a leather tunic and the gambeson in place and i have to admit it has made a fine blanket on cold nights.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:53 pm

Barak Daas wrote:"What says you Borygg? Are you happy in the second line, and for Vidar to have the mail we found?"
Borygg replies that he is happy to be used as archer and second-line warrior. As Barak hands the chain byrnie to Vidar, Borygg hands Vidar the plate 3/4-helm he scanvenged from the battlefield. "Here, Vidar, you'll need this more than I will."
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:20 pm

[OoC: in the light of new information...]

"What I don't get" says Barak "is why Vidar has a greater need of armour than me. He has quilted armour, gaunlets etc., all I have is my normal working clothes. He now has twice the armour of me. I guess I should take it as a compliment that you think I am so skillful with a shield that I will never be hit; but if I am hit you're loosing your best spearman and archer..."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:10 pm

While donning the helm, Vidar stirs the proverbial pot a bit: "That is precisely what I was thinking, Barak. ... Say Kugald, can I have dibs on Barak's gear when he goes down in the next combat?" He gives a sly wink to Barak, his face tightening behind his bushy beard in an affectionate grin.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:02 am

"It seems to me that this loot is only of value once the fighting is over, and it is also limited by what you can carry. If you are too injured to collect or carry loot, it does you no good. Now, we all know the main battle has yet to occur, and when it does, there will be far fewer men standing on either side when it is done. Further, the items of greatest value are probably yet to be seen."

"I suggest that you take whatever valuables have been found so far and use them to acquire the best armor you can from whoever has it to spare. I would be very surprised if there was not some fool willing to part with a heavy suit of mail for some coin. You will have less to carry going into the big battle, but you will be more likely to be standing when it is over, and can probably recover the coin you spent several times over. There will be fewer men doing the looting then, anyways."

"Get as much armor now while you can. Worry about coins and such later, there won't be a shortage."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:07 am

With that idea in mind, we could possibly approach Valhaker Batheson his clan may have aquired some byrnies, and be willing to sell one, or even our own in order to remedy glaring deficencies in any area. Which I advise we do regarding any specific armour needs or for example our need for a physicians kit.
While I would suggest when we are in a situation where we can loot or gather food all who are not required elsewhere assist in the task.
I believe I have said it once already as a warband we will stand or fall by how we function together.
If one is poorly armoured and our front line then we are all in danger. If someone who is inept at combat stands in the front line you are all in dancger, baring the spear refusing to leave my flesh.
If we have food, it is best to ensure we all share, and distribute the weight, so we as a whole do not suffer.

With this mail byrnie, if we cannot find another the simpliest solution whoever found it out of Borygg or Barak keep the blasted thing, and since both are archers and equally skilled at spear and shield welcome them to the front line.

I will tell you I'd rather see both Barak and Boryyg in the front line They certainly seem better trained at arms than either Vidar or myself, and Vidar has his Lord's gifts and certainly his touch during the comabt re-invigorated me. I wonder if it would have had a greater impact upon skilled warriors. And yet to send his prayers for my aid he also was required to leave the combat. And if you notice folk in the army or even the warband wearing kurbul helms and we come across plate gather it up.. Kugald can sell it for for coin, any coin and thus aid the army and our ability to pay upkeep for ouselves.

I realise seeking to ensure loot is shared equally, is alien but it also helps at least I hoped build unity within our band. i'm sure we will all appreciate being sewn up by Kugald or blessed by Vidar or even having meals cooked by myself and Barak. We will be held accountable for armour we take and use in this campaign. including the sealskin leggings and mail byrne, and at the reckoning both the honour achieved by being considered rich enough for mail and paying the jarl 1/3 its value will be the onus of the wearer i'm sure unless as a group we account for the combined total and make a combined contribution to the Daas.

Last edited by Algared on Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:57 am

"Let Vidar wear the byrnie" says Barak "my best defense probably lies in my mobility. If Borygg is to go in to the front line then he needs the next good armour we find. I think Borygg will be good in a second line role as an archer and to shore up weak spots. I will fight in the front line unarmoured as I am - it was my suggestion after all - but I lay claim for consideration for the next mail we find."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:06 pm

OOC: I may have missed something, but I thought both Barak and Vidar both had quilt gambesons. The reason I suggested that Vidar take it was because...in general...Barak's combat skills (spear, shield, etc) are on the order of 30% higher that Vidar's. Therefore, I (Kerry) felt that Vidar was more likely to get hit and need the mail as protection.

If I was incorrect and Barak has only normal cloth clothes then, by all means, I think we should consider a different distribution.

I am currently at a four day conference and have very limited time to respond to posts, so I don't have time to write more, but I thought I should at least explain my rationale.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:14 pm

[OoC: leave it as it is]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas