From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 Saraju 720

+6
Bjorn Vetr
Borygg Raal
Barak Daas
Algared
Meldun Jarlaka
GM
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2 Saraju 720 - Page 2 Empty Re: 2 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:06 pm

Algared wrote:[When the group is together he will ask them] about a raid on the Dagan's supply lines at the ford fort [...] raiding does pose great risks but the rewards coild be equally benefical if successful.
Barak is quite enthusiastic about the idea - it will be more exciting than fighting in the shieldwall. But the risks seem impossibly high. "How well defended will the fort be?" he asks "For all we know the Dagen may have left half his army there after winning the battle at the ford. How will we get back again if the boats just drop us of and leave? Though we may be able to destroy the supplies, which will aid our campaign, what are these rewards you speak of?"
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:51 pm

Barak Daas wrote:
Algared wrote:[When the group is together he will ask them] about a raid on the Dagan's supply lines at the ford fort [...] raiding does pose great risks but the rewards coild be equally benefical if successful.
Barak is quite enthusiastic about the idea - it will be more exciting than fighting in the shieldwall. But the risks seem impossibly high. "How well defended will the fort be?" he asks "For all we know the Dagen may have left half his army there after winning the battle at the ford. How will we get back again if the boats just drop us of and leave? Though we may be able to destroy the supplies, which will aid our campaign, what are these rewards you speak of?"

"It is good to hear that the woods to the east were clear, though the mule drivers may have been speaking of the wood to the south east near Abderhiem, as for the suggestion of a raid, when last we saw, the fort housed what looked to be a few hundred men. It is now in the rear and hopefully we'd find the Dagan confident he has victory in his grasp and they'd have a smaller garrison. Also when the Daas attack Abderhiem I imagine he'll want control or contest the woods to stop a flank attack which may be a possible retreat line from the ford fort.

The Dagan may have left half his force back there after winning the battle of the ford, though I think he will have advanced his forces, and if the Daas allows such a raid I certainly hope the Dagan hasn't left half his army there.

When I was thinking of the idea I initally envisiaged we'd be dropped off and then steal boats from the coastal thran further to the east, that would not be where raiders would be expected to head afterwards it would be expected raiders would head into the hills or cross the fords and head into the hills I think. as for the gains, we take any coins or anything we can easily carry of value and destroy the rest. Whether it means despoiling and poisoning or burning the aim is to deprive the invaders of supplies they have amassed. If successful we could significantly weaken our foe and on our return also find other rewards and honours, not to mention the value of any captured vessel." Looking at his companions Algared, adds "I'm not even sure this small band would be able to pull it off, but if we are to present the plan as a viable option to the Daas then we need to work out as much as we can in detail."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Eijryk Orbaason Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Eijryk attends the funerals and sings and prays for the dead on their passing to Thaalagard. He then spends the remaining day around the thran talking to people, asking those he was treating after the battle how their wounds are healing.
In the late afternoon he meets up with the rest of the warband to hear about their day and discuss what to do next. He is positive towards the idea of raiding behind Dagen's lines now that they have broken their promise of a truce. It's better we decide were the fighting is taking place rather than them.
Eijryk Orbaason
Eijryk Orbaason

Back to top Go down

Post  Meldun Jarlaka Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:20 pm

During the funeral ceremony, Meldun stands off to the side, moved by the beauty of Bjarri's words. Once the bodies begin to burn, Meldun will fade toward the back of the gathering. While he has no kin here to mourn, Meldun still feels the loss of life in his soul. He quietly prays to Sarajin for the other fallen warriors not of the thran, including the invaders themselves.

By the time he comes out of his prayers, most have left the area, and he is unable to find any of his friends, or any of the warband they have been getting to know. Finding Eijryk making his rounds, Meldun will accompany him, sharing stories from the Ljarl with those willing to listen while Eijryk does his examinations, getting to know more of the people in the thran.
Meldun Jarlaka
Meldun Jarlaka

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:11 am

Bjarni is feeling a lot better after Alagared's mystical ministrations. He will happily show anyone who wants to see how the wound on his knee has gone leaving not even a scar. "I would keep him in the second rank to look after our wounded."

At this point Bjarni is going to find somewhere to sleep for himself and the others who have no place dry. He will go to the main thran and find somewhere there.
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjorn Vetr Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:19 am

Bjorn will follow Bjarni around, laughing at him for getting so beat up during the fight. (now that he's confident his new friend will survive to fight another day). Especially after hearing about stopping to loot a corpse in the middle of the battle.
Bjorn Vetr
Bjorn Vetr

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:00 am

"Yes well, next time I will stand back and let others do the fighting and then loot away while they take the fight to the enemy. I killed three and got nothing. Not even a silver penny."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:27 am

As they talk Algared says 'You know I was thinking about why meadhall was closed on order of the Daas, it could have been that Jabor had let it be known he had no stores left, though equally it could have been the Daas felt that the meadhall offered a spy a place they could gather information or sow dissent. I am not saying Jabor or any of the staff are spies, though any of the thralls could be if they were lead to believe they would earn their freedom. But a spy would be able to listen to much.

Anyway Tersi will arrange that those needing accomadtion from the Warband can stay in the meadhall.

In seeking to address the matter of you were interested in Bryndis, I am afraid in doing so has merely served to make this band appear petty and as money hungry as my father appears, and any rewards for fighting in this one battle compared to those even amongst this small group who have already fought in four or five engagements now would appear to insult the bravery of the fallen and the living. There will be plenty of chances for riches and rewards, and I will strive to do all in my power to see you are all cared for and hale so we can reap many riches" and with a sidelong glance to Bjarni, "and wives if that is your desire."

Making sure no-one is around listening, Algared says "Though I dislike my father's trade practices which the disgruntled could easily be mistake as a those of a collaborator or spy. I do not think he is either, just manouvering to try get the best position in a trade. However, I know we saw a group running to the Bonding house at the beginning of the assault. And while the bonding house wasn't burnt it wasn't the only building overrun that wasn't burned. But my fathers previous actions have made him a suspect, even if his actions are motivated by his mercantyle positioning. I swaer he sees trade like a warrior sees a battle.

It seems to me more likely any spy will not be a Daas, but from one of the smaller clans. None the less if we were to spead let slip amongst those who have been suspected that evidence implicating a spy or collaborator has been uncovered, then maybe that would prompt the suspect to act and flee or try to destroy the evidence."

We also train on the morrow, it will give us time to think on the the possible raid, the pros cons and possible means of carrying it out."

To Bjarni and the other walking wounded within the party, Algared will arrange to cast Azure hand prior to dusk if they desire him to try use magik to heal there wounds.

Last edited by Algared on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:34 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : edited to hopefully better reflect what happened in another thread and to correct errors or more neatly tie thoughts together and better portray the narrative.)
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Meldun Jarlaka Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:43 am

"Then how do we uncover who the people were that entered the bonding house?" Meldun looks on with frustration and exasperation at his companions. "If there are spies, and they lead that army upon us, they must be discovered!" Meldun tries to keep his voice down as best he can, but the fire behind his violet eyes is becoming more evident to those around him.

Taking a couple of deep breaths, he continues in a far calmer tone, "We cannot let another attack like this happen."

Meldun Jarlaka
Meldun Jarlaka

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:06 am

Bjarni is somewhat confused as he has no idea what Algared is talkign about when he mentions the band appearing money hungry. He worries the thought around in his head for a bit then says "It must be a difference between you who were sired by those who stayed in the homeland and we whose fathers conquered Jara but silver is important to us Orbaalese. We see no harm in seeking it and a great lord makes sure his sworn men have plenty of it." He gestures to the other Orbaalese in the room and asks "Am I wrong?"
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:47 am

Algared wrote: I am afraid in doing so has merely served to make this band appear petty and as money hungry as my father appears
"So what did you say to Cunate to make us appear petty? No doubt talking to him of raids will make us appear to be even more money hungry."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Meldun Jarlaka Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:14 pm

Algared wrote: I am afraid in doing so has merely served to make this band appear petty and as money hungry as my father appears

Bjarni wrote: "It must be a difference between you who were sired by those who stayed in the homeland and we whose fathers conquered Jara but silver is important to us Orbaalese. We see no harm in seeking it and a great lord makes sure his sworn men have plenty of it." He gestures to the other Orbaalese in the room and asks "Am I wrong?"

Meldun's face grows hot, matching the flame burning in his eyes, "That is the second time in as many day's someone from Ygesdram has associated myself with greed over honor. In Orbaal, courage is held most high. On the battlefield and off. Followed closely by loyalty to ones family, then clan, then Valhakar. A major part of success on the battlefield is the right to loot, which in turn gives wealth to the family, ensuring the family’s wealth in the clan and the overall success of the thran. To risk ones self in combat, to be victorious, and to not bring coin to the family is a loss of honor itself!"

Breathing heavily now, Meldun struggles to keep his voice in check, yet he continues spitting his words through his clenched teeth, "It is not the hunger for personal wealth that drives me. It is the honor and respect of my family that caused me to travel to this…” gesturing madly at the whole of Ygesdram, “thran. To ensure the Ljarl is followed by all involved, to return with wealth for my own kin, and to be able to pay the brideprice when the time presents itself. If, in the eye’s of the people of this land, if that makes me petty, then this battle is already lost, you should throw yourselves at the Dagan’s feet, and beg to be made his thralls.”
Meldun Jarlaka
Meldun Jarlaka

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:49 pm

"Ah Meldun, you priests always sound off like that. There is an old saying that 'to be without silver is better than to be without honour'. I suspect whoever said that had plenty of silver to start with. You want what I want - brideprice and silver so that you can return to your family with honour. Despite the recent victory there has been precious little of either and no one can say I did not do as much as the next man and more than most."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:13 am

"You might fight for honour, or the Ljarl, or for the sake of the clan. But, I am with Bjarni on this one, give me the silver every time. When the winter is bad, and there is nothing to be caught in the wilds, it is not the Ljarl that feeds you, it is not the clan who provides, it is silver that fills your plate. If you don't hunt in summer, you don't eat in winter. When you are fighting you are not hunting. So where does the silver come from if not byti?"
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:14 am

"My father would say wealth comes from trading.. or a viking," As Meldun's anger grows, and spills over. Algared thinks to himself, He rises quickly in anger when he feels his honour is questioned, he is not unlike me, and then calmly and queitly says.

"And you think anyone else around in this group doesn't strive for the same. That you are the only one who strives for honour? The armour and weapons of the dead are no more they were consumed on the pryres. Though it honors the fallen and and allows those who fought with honour to attend Talagaad it does deprive those, who have yet to fight again without those valuable pieces of equipment. So depriving the dead the honours due them, so we could benefit, is how I was made to look petty and treaure hungry.

You have fought in one battle of this war and you have done well. You have your shelter and keep arranged and paid for by the Daas as he promised... Barak, Borryg and I have fought in nearly a half dozen battles or skirmishes since the snows melted, and yet I see no mail on Borryg. Such rewards would be nice, but given the losses many in the thran suffered, to ask for a 600d mail vest after one battle, when the fires of the pryres still smoulder, doesnt strike you are crass or wrong? Still being gifted a mail vest, when it is something of great honour and a valuable reward for great valor. Had we saved the Daas or the thran and driven the raiders into back then I would expect us all to be buried in riches, as it was no-one here did any more or less than the other men of the thran fighting to defend their homes..and some, men I have known and respected since I was a child have lost their lives and feast at the table with our lord. As small comfort to thier families who have lost father or brother and will find things more difficult. So yes, I would have to agree it seemed excessive."

Algared looks to Bryndis and continues maintaining a quiet and calm voice, "In raising the request on your behalf, I have failed you Bryndis. I should have been aware how it would appear, yes you fought bravely and honoured your oath but as yet it was and is but one battle.

In defence for my failing I can only say I was was imagining you so equiped and being a more formidable warrior and foe, and so I may have strayed not only from the Ljarl but caused some of my own dishonour to fall on you, I ask your forgiveness."

Turning back to Meldun, Algared continues, "But in this your honour is unscathed, you asked for nothing but have, for honouring your oath been granted the Daas hospitality, your stay in the meadhall will be paid for by the Daas. It is my honour that is and must be damaged foremost for I made the request and I tell you that when the request was turned downi I was made to feel like a a greedy, coin hoarding merchant, interested in my own wealth rather than the good of all. It doesn't matter what my motives are or were but that was the effect. Though some would likely say, I am my father's son so it is to be expected..

Meldun, you are not alone in your sense of honour and duty, you are not alone in a desire to ensure your honour is above reproach, that you are not viewed mean spritied, miserly or even a coward. You are not alone in a desire to not be seen as one who turns their back on their companions to their detriment. You serve Sarajin and know the path of the Ljarl intimately. As a priest and shepherd of Sarajin's followers you have the uneviable task of guiding those of us who strive to walk Ljar as best we may, so that we do not stray."

If you believe all is lost then you are free to leave. You are fortunate, the Dagan hasn't made plans to destroy your clan and wipe your clan from the face of the this mortal life. But if you leave now would you not bring dishonour upon yourself."

Last edited by Algared on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:12 am

Sigrun returns from her lookout, and walks in part way through the current conversation.

At a pause, she says, "Neither honor nor silver are going to matter very much it we're slaughtered."

Now that she has their attention, Sigrun continues, "I don't understand this raid, and I've been thinking on it since last night. I've been watching this morning and nothing further has come from the east. We're attacked here by a seemingly disposable force, as seen by the burning of their own boats. These sacrificial troops were recalled after some fighting, and not forced to fight to the last man. That could be a plan to simply test the thran's defenses, but it's puzzling that the Dagen would tip his hand and then not follow up with a greater force. Why commit any troops to Ygesdram, instead of holder tighter the siege of Abderheim?"

She takes a deep breath and carries on, "So, was it a distraction, so we could not aid Abderheim? Perhaps, but Abderheim is no great prize compared to Ygesdram. Taking Ygesdram and then Myna would squeeze control of the Imua, neutralizing Trond."

At the blank looks of a few, she takes a book from her sea bag, holds it open before her, and shows to all a sketched map of the waterways and major thrans in the area. "Look here," and she traces the path of the Imua River to Trond. "I think we're being drawn out to aid Abderheim. Either we'll be attacked en route, or spend time breaking the siege. Regardless, Ygesdram is somewhat weakened at that time, and the real attack will come then, either overland by the Dagen's forces, or up the Imua, if Trond has turned."

Sigrun looks up, "I think we need to know what's happening in Trond, and I think we need to keep an eye on the smaller thrans to the east." She closes the book and replaces it in the bag, "Or maybe I'm wrong and the Dagen isn't as smart all that."

Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:05 am

"If Trond has turned and joined the Dagan, as some of believe they had or were certainly thinking of doing. I'll be honest it feels as though as much as we would like to determine the state of things, we are all but small pawns. If Trond havn't marched yet then maybe we could disrupt their plans if they intend to and find where they stand otherwise. But many of us have sworn an oath and to honour that oath will mean going where he asks us. I feel Jurri would have been better at ferreting out the truth with regards to a traitor or collaborator."

Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:30 am

Time: End 6th watch

With the warband reunited once again within the walls of the meadhall, you sit by the warm hearth fire as night falls. The weather outside remains cool and dry, the night sky is clearly visibile as the few clouds do little to obscure the stars.

Seated by the hearth fire the warband sit and chat about the days events.

Jabor brings each of the warband, a small bowl of pottage containing a few pieces of pork and some vegetables. To accompany the pottage Jabor provides each of you with a piece of cheese, loaf of bread, some dried fruit and a handful of nuts.

After delivering the food Jabor returns twice more to deliver several jugs of ale.

Otherwise the warband are left to themselves.

Later that night with the hearth fire starting to die down, and the night wearing on, those members that are able return to their clanhouses to rest, leaving the others alone in the meadhall. The nights air is cold as you return to your clanhouses. The other warriors prepare themselves for a nights rest near the hearth fire of the meadhall.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:10 am

Sigrun Surenaal wrote:Sigrun returns from her lookout, and walks in part way through the current conversation.

At a pause, she says, "Neither honor nor silver are going to matter very much it we're slaughtered."

Bjarni has been ruminating on what Sigrun has said, and he knows she is a deep thinker so puts some stock in her words.

"Sigrun may have the right of it. We may be playing into the Dagen's hands with a relief of Abderheim." He slams his fist into the table.

"I think we are being played like a fish on a line. The Dagen is making all the moves in this war and we are reacting. We need to take the initiative."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:15 am

Bjarni Daasen wrote:
Sigrun Surenaal wrote:Sigrun returns from her lookout, and walks in part way through the current conversation.

Bjarni has been ruminating on what Sigrun has said, and he knows she is a deep thinker so puts some stock in her words.

"Sigrun may have the right of it. We may be playing into the Dagen's hands with a relief of Abderheim." He slams his fist into the table.

"I think we are being played like a fish on a line. The Dagen is making all the moves in this war and we are reacting. We need to take the initiative."

"Maybe making an attack in an area he doesnt expect is how how we unsettle him though if there is a spy then any plans are certainly going to reach him." Algared responds and continues, "So do we have a plan for how we can ferret out the spy or spies and if so...."

"Meldun if you have the means to sense the truth of a matter, that would be useful where weare unsurebwhether guild or innocence are involved."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2