From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

11 Saraju 720TR

+3
Bjarni Daasen
Barak Daas
GM
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

11 Saraju 720TR - Page 2 Empty Re: 11 Saraju 720TR

Post  Bryndis Serewyn Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Bryndis offers congratulations to all who participated, and prepares herself for the next competition.
Bryndis Serewyn
Bryndis Serewyn

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:08 pm

To Varn he replies "I am Barak Daas from Ygresdram, also a huntsman, but not the Daas' man. I'd live to share an ale with you, but the weights are being called. Perhaps I can catch you in the meadhall later; I am sure Jabor will offer you one of his famed meads.

Post by GM "To be certain!" Varn replies when Barak tells him he is also a hunter. "Aye, an ale at the end of the day will be grand!" Varn replies. Hearing the call he agrees to meet with you later and share a mead but for now the stones await.

Barak congratulates Borygg on his fine win.

He enters the next competition, assuming his ankle is up to it, expecting to lose.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

"That was harder than it looked. That bastard must have been practising - local knowledge I am sure,' Bjarni works the aches out of his muscles. "But what I would give to have all those who attempted the higher weights pulling oars on the same boat.

Do you think that if we get eliminated from the agility test, I could be one of the spear chuckers?"

Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:29 am

"if you hit me with a spear, thrown with all your strength, then I am likely to throw it straight back at you." says Barak with a smile back to Bjarni.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:26 pm

Barak Daas wrote:"if you hit me with a spear, thrown with all your strength, then I am likely to throw it straight back at you." says Barak with a smile back to Bjarni.

Algared laughs as he responds, with the memory of Bjarni dropping a foe with his spear throw in the raid. "if he hits any of us with a spear, blunted or not, thrown with all his strength then we'd be lucky not to be feasting with Sarajin than in being able to throw it back.. I've seen what happens to targets of your spear toss Bjarni and I dont want to be on the recieving end."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:17 am

Cunate selects his ten warriors to commence the game, with a greater number of competitors Erling Storzar is given permission to select ten warriors to throw first as well. Unfortunately none of the warband are selected among the first to throw. The crowd continues to cheer and exhort the competitors on, there would be around four thousand people in and about the thran today and the place is abuzz with activity.

Buckets of whitewash are brought out and the blunted spear points are dipped into the whitewash before throwing. With the competition underway the first ten 'targets' wearing little armour but plate helmets, all successfully dodge the incoming weapons and move on to become the throwers, one of the 'targets' in the second round ducks when he should have weaved and the blunt spear point takes him full in the face. The man falls to the ground with a grunt and it is not until he regains his feet are you able to see that the lack of a helmet meant the spear point took him full on the nose. The wound bleeds profusely as the embaressed 'target' leaves the field to the cheers of those about him.

Bjarni is the first of the warband to take their turn as the 'target'....

Last edited by GM on Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:17 am

"Hmmm. It would be a shame to mar this pretty face," says Bjarni, as he dons his helmet.
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:06 am

Taking his mark he eyes off his 'opponent' as he prepares to throw.

The warrior draws back his arm and lets loose the spear, the blunted point flies towards the belly of the huge warrior and with a deftness that defies his bulk he dodges the attack. Moving up to take his turn with spear, Bjarni tosses the shaft in his hand a few times to judge the balance before dipping the tip in the whitewash.

The spear flies straight and true towards the belly of his 'target' the young man attempts to dodge the blow but does not step far enough away and the blunted spear catches in the warriors shirt leaving a stain of whitewash upon the coarse cloth. With a grunt of dispair the warrior moves with his head hung low to take his turn at the throwing line. He says that with any luck he might be able to remove some one else from the contest as well...
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:21 am

Barak is the next to take up a position as the 'target', donning his helmet he bends a knee and prepares for the spear. His thrower dips the spear point into the bucket of whitewash and draws back his throwing arm. He releases the spear towards Barak, tilting his head back he watches the spear sail well above his head to land harmlessly behind him.

With a grin Barak takes his turn as the thrower, the spear point already coloured from the whitewash is dipped again. Drawing back Barak releases the spear towards his target a young farming lad that Barak recognises but cannot place a name to, the spear heads towards the young lads midsection before he is able to step aside of the incoming weapon.

With a mumbled whisper Barak curses his luck as the young lad now moves forward to take up his chance to remove a competitor...
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:05 am

Bryndis is the next warrior to their turn as the target for the spear. Adjusting her helmet she bends her knees and braces herself for incoming projectile. The warrior perhaps a few years her senior gives her a devilish smile as he dips the spear point into the whitewash drawing back his arm he unleashes the spear towards the waiting Bryndis, the spear heads straight towards Bryn's chest, the sheildmaiden deftly turns to avoid the spear and it flies harmlessly by.

The warrior hangs his head amd mumbles something inaudible to those around him as he shakes his head at the miss.

With a smile the sheildmaiden then takes her turn at the throwing line. Selecting a suitable spear, she tosses the weapon a few times to judge the balance, dips the spear into the whitewash and quickly launches the weapon towards her target, he is unknown to her but smiles to her kindly as he awaits the attack. The spear flies from her hand but is well wide of the target, Bryn's target smiles at his good fortune as he moves towards the throwing line.

Algared is the next to take his turn as the 'target', preparing himself for the upcoming throw Algared focuses, the spear flies harmlessly by with Algared even having to move. Smiling to himself he then prepares his own throw, the spear leaves his hand and flies towards the mans chest but the wily competitor is able to move quicly out of the road of the spear and is able to continue on in the contest.

Meldun is next as he makes his way out to be the 'target' his competitor sensing an opportunity here for some prestige (defeating a priest during the feast of Bjarri) takes his time with his throw, the spear leaves his hand towards the priests stomach. Meldun attempts to pivot off his left foot to avoid the spear but his footing slips and the spear thuds against his stomach, Meldun grunts in pain as he buckles under the spears blow, he drops to one knee for a moment before he is able to stand. With a shake of his head in disbelief Meldun rises and moves towards to the throwing line a smear of whitewash is obvious on Meldun's tunic - with a handshake of acknwoledgement he congratulates the thrower for his deft strike.

Meldun then takes up a spear hoping to save a little face and launches it as his opponent. But to his disbelief the spear flies harmlessly wide of the intented target and strikes the ground behind his opponent. Shaking his head Meldun is now out of the contest but moves to the side line to watch the rest of the event.

Borygg is the last of the warband to take his turn on the 'target' line. His opponent he recognises as a Storzar readies his spear and with a deft throw launches the shaft towards the warrior, the spear flies towards Borygg's stomach but with ease Borygg is able to move out of the way of the speeding shaft and avoids the blow completely. With a quick smile Borygg moves to the throwing end of the line his opponent turns out to be one of Skorri Daas' longshoremen Dern Hilsen, after dipping the spear point in the bucket of whitewash launches the spear in the direction of the longshoreman the spear flies true and the longshoreman attempts to aviod the blow but he appears to stumble and the blunted spear strikes the longshoreman squarely in the throat. The man falls to the ground clutching at his throat, the man struggles for breath but before aid can be summoned he lies lifeless on the ground.

The dead warrior is quickly removed from the field and after a short pause to the competition the games resume.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:37 am

Baraks, says in a whispered aside to Borygg "That won't have endeared us further with Skorri."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:10 am

Barak Daas wrote:Baraks, says in a whispered aside to Borygg "That won't have endeared us further with Skorri."
Borygg shrugs his shoulders. It's not like he meant to kill Dern. "Sarajin has called him to his service. His clan can take comfort in that."
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:12 am

With the body quickly removed the contest resumes once again. There are a variety of injuries although none appear to be serious mostly just a little bruising from the spear throws.

During Algareds next round he is able to remove one of the competitors with a strike to his right foot as he tried to dodge the missile. He is able to do the same during the following round also as the blunted spear point thuds off his opponents kurbul helmet, the man staggers for a few steps before regaining his feet, the blow did little to seriously injure him. During Algared's third round he is able to remove another competitor with a blow to his right hand the smear of whitewash running across the back of his hand doing no injury apart from the blow. Algared survives to fourth round before a spear catches him on the left hip, the blow is only light and apart from the initial blow there are no other serious injury from the strike. Algared's final throw misses its target to land harmlessly behind the opponent.

Bjarni is able to survive a further six rounds of competition before finally catching a spear to his right shoulder, during the six rounds Bjarni is able to remove two competitors from the contest.

Borygg survives a further five rounds of competition before an a close call, the spear flies by and only narrowly misses Borygg's belly. Another seven rounds are completed before a brilliant throw catches Borygg a little off balance and scores a hit against Borygg's belly. During the contest however, Borygg is able to remove four competitors before his own elimination.

Bryndis is able to survive three rounds of competition when a blow to her right hip finally eliminates her from the competition. Bryn is not able to eliminate anyone else from the competition before her own elimination.

During Barak's next round the spear only narrowly misses him as it sails past his right knee. During the following rounds with the numbers beginning to thin Barak is able to eliminate another five opponents. The competition continues with the numbers continuing to dwindle as hits are scored. Finally after over ten rounds of competition only Barak and Borygg are still left from the warband.

Finally Borygg is removed from the competition leaving only Barak from the warband left. With about thirty competitors left the competition increases. As each spear thrown is met with a whoosh from the crowd and a cheer as the blow either finds its target or sail harmlessly by. After many throws and with little pause between throws fatigue starts to creep into the throwers arm and concentrations begin to lapse. After several more throws only Barak and another competitor are left.

Barak is the first to defend and the spear sails harmlessly by without Barak having to move. Barak then throws but the spear is dodged by his opponent, cheers echo around the pasture as the competition nears its end. Barak now prepares to defend himself again, this time the spear flies straight and true but Barak is able to sidestep the missile and avoid the spear. Barak's right shoulder and back are beginning to feel the strain of the contest, dipping his spear point in the whitewash Barak concentrates on his throw and sends the spear sailing towards his target - the spear thuds against the 'targets' left thigh - with that the competition is over and Barak is the winner!!!!

Cheers erupt anew from around the pastures and market square.

There are congratulations all round as Barak's 'target' congratulates him on a good throw. He does not seem to disappointed at losing and moving his head closer to Barak he whispers "I made more than the prize money betting on the side anyway!" moving his head back he has a smile that beams across his face.

"THE DAAS CALLS THOSE FLEET OF FOOT AND SWIFT LIKE THE WIND TO TAKE THE CHALLENGE OF THE FOOT RACE!" the call is heard above the din of the crowd.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:53 am

"Well done Barak, I am thinking that I will pass on the race, unless you lot want someone to do a bit of blocking for you," Bjarni says.
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:54 am

Barak replies to the stranger "I was not competing for the prize money, it was for the glory of Sarajin and my own personal honour. Mind you the purse is a nice bonus. Now everyone can see that I am a good hunter and skirmisher."

Post by GM "Ah! the honour is in the competing the purse is for the winner!" he says laughing.

To Bjarni he he says "Thank you. But, there is no peace for the winners. I havn't got my breath back and they are calling for the next event. I will take part in the race, there is no reason not to, but after all those rounds of spear-dodge I won't be as fast as I would be if the race was bring run tomorrow. You did well in the stone-lift, I am suprised that you are not already in the meadhall."

"Here, can you look after my helm for me?" he then asks Bjarni "I've no need of it in the race."

Barak tales what ever rest he can before the race, and does some gentle stretches to loosen up his back and shoulder.

Last edited by Barak Daas on Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:59 am

"Well, I was enjoying the competitions. A little staid for my liking. THe meadhall will be there and the feast will continue for some time yet. I might enter the race for the honour, the glory and the chance to trip up some of those fancy arsed bastards"
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:00 pm

"The race is not all about speed. It is a long one. Being fit and being able to endure the pain is as much part of the race as being 'fleet of foot'. You should do well... as long as you don't stop."

Barak then takes his helm back to the meadhall and leaves it with the rest of his gear.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:04 pm

"Ahh, you mean Slow and Steady wins the race. Good point. I am more a stayer than a sprinter anyway. See you at the start line."

Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:24 pm

"The wolf shows the way. They never run fast, but no animal can out run them. They just run, and run, and run. Few can outrun bears in the long run - it is a good job that they don't chase for long. See you at the start shortly."

Barak approaches Algared, Bryndis and Borygg and the others "Well done in the spear-dodge competition. We all did well. We eliminated more people than we 'lost' so we are a credit to the Daas, more may take the warband seriously now after that display of skill. Now, who is going to join me in the race?"
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:05 pm

"Indded Barak, we all did well." Turinging the others as well Algared adds, "After the race I want us to gather" Algared looks and spies Sigrun on her rise, "I am concerned about Sigrun, but also want us to review our preparations so after the race we gather where Sigrun sits and after we have seen to business.... But first we have a race to run for the glory of Sarajin."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:55 pm

"Sigrun needs a horizon to look at. She may have come from these fjords and valleys but the deep calls her now. She will never be happy unless she has a deck neath her feet. She feels like she is beached."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:42 am

'Indeed she may, but as crew mates we are bound to watch out for w=one another. None the less before we become too befuddled with ale we also need to see to other matters as well. We are meeting.'
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:56 am

During the archery competition Sigrun was joined by Bjarni Orbaason and they have both been sitting atop the rise apparently chatting amiably with each other.

Meanwhile the runners begin to assemble, some rubbing bruises that are beginning to form from blows with blunted spears. It would seem that every competitor bears the mark of a spear blow somewhere upon their body. It seems that the Grey Slayer is favouring the competitors and the wind has died down somewhat to a steady wind still blowing from north east (will make the return journey a bit harder)

Tersi takes a position in front of the runners as he describes the all to familiar path of the run for the benefit of those new to Ygesdram. The route initially heads west then turns south then back east finally returning back to Ygesdram.

The start signal is given and the mass of runners head west, the groups soon begin to thin with Barak and Borygg in the group leading the pack, Algared, Bjarni, Bryndis and Meldun are amongs the runners in the main pack. Once you leave the market square the path is narrow and there is barely room for three men to run abreast. There are spectators gathered along the route out of Ygesdram as they cheer you along the challenge. Among the group of leaders are several Storzar men.

The total distance of the run is about two leagues. Reaching a small thran the Storzar men look about for clues to the direction they should take, while Barak now pulling slowly ahead of Borygg makes the turn to the south with the Storzar men close by. Amongst the leaders are a few Daaslund men as well, the runners continue south along a narrow path with the runners only able to run in single file before reaching another small thran. From here the leaders turn eastward during the run through the thran several runners were able to change their position within the pack as the path opened out.

The lead pack consists of five runners now, Barak and two other Daaslund men and two Storzar men.

With the temperature cool the conditions are not to taxing on the mind and body. With another small thran coming into view the leaders make the turn north east and for home. Barak with his back and shoulders aching from the spear throwing begins to fall behind as fatigue starts to build. One of the Storzar men begins to draw ahead of the others to take the lead.

With the thran of Ygesdram now in view the Storzar men is the first to enter the thran and win the race. Barak is the first three to cross the line, Borygg is in the first twenty to finish, Algared and Meldun arrive in Ygesdram with the main body of runners while Bjarni arrives with the tail (but he is not the last one to cross the line). The run was exhausting to all and tankards of ale are provided to all to quench their thirsts after the run.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:10 am

The race run, Algared congratulates the winner of the race and other runners. Once everyone has caught their breath he gathers the members of the warband together. Drawing them asideaway from prying ears. Once gathered he informs them of the role of lead scouts they have been asked to play in the march to relieve Abderheim and thus the need to ready ensure they are ready to move out following the feast.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:41 am

Wheezing and gasping for breath, Bjarni will collapse over the line and when he has recovered enough to talk will seek out hsi friends.

"If only you lot up here had a rowing competition. I do better on the water."

Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next