From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ordering the watch...

4 posters

Go down

Ordering the watch... Empty Ordering the watch...

Post  GM Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:09 am

Would it be easier to have a set watch list to save having to decide each night who will be on watch with who.

Also, would you like to give me an order of march, perhaps listing different environments if you think there would be different orders of march.

City
By road
Cross country

Are the few I have thought of any others - any ideas?
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Ordering the watch... Empty Re: Ordering the watch...

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:03 am

Hi all,

Kugald would like to propose the following organization:

Marching order:

Scout
Barak – He scouts 50 to 100 yards ahead of the group, bow (80) or axe (80)/dagger (84) (as appropriate). Neirin goes ahead to make maximum use of his stealth and woodsman skills to spot ambushes (and hunt if the opportunity presents itself). If Neirin spots trouble, he retreats back to warn the group and join Shield Pair 3. Neirin starts off with his bow when the enemy is at a distance, using Thorin for cover. He drops the bow and switches to his axe and dagger when the enemy closes to close range.

Shield Pair 1
Algared – He watches to the forward and left, spear (68)/shield (51) or sling (30) (as appropriate). Algared protects Kugald when he is using his bow. He fights shoulder to shoulder with Kugald in close combat.

Kugald – He watches forward and right, bow (80) or spear (102)/shield (102) (as appropriate). Kugald starts off with his bow when the enemy is at a distance, using Algared for cover. He drops the bow and switches to his spear and shield when the enemy closes to close range.

Shield Pair 2
Jurri – He watches forward and right, spear (70)/shield (70). Jurri protects Madrin when he is using his bow. He fights shoulder to shoulder with Madrin in close combat.

Madrin – He watches forward and left, bow (80) or spear (90)/shield (90) (as appropriate). Madrin starts off with his bow when the enemy is at a distance, using Jurri for cover. He drops the bow and switches to his spear and shield when the enemy closes to close range.

Shield Pair 3 (reserve)
Thorin – He watches to the rear, broadsword (75)/shield (65). Thorin protects Hovik when he is throwing rocks (and/or Neirin when he uses his bow). He fights shoulder to shoulder with Neirin in close combat.

Hovik – He watches to the rear, fist sized rocks for throwing (64) or dagger (60) (as appropriate). Hovik throws rocks to distract anyone attacking Thorin. He retreats behind Thorin and Neirin in close combat, and is responsible for watching to make sure no one sneaks up on the group while they are engaged to the front. He also pulls injured members out of combat and applies first aid when possible.

Standard March Procedure:

If an enemy is spotted at a distance, Algared and Jurri move up side-by-side and face their shields to the enemy. Madrin and Kugald stand behind them, draw their bows and engage the enemy at a distance. Once the enemy begins to close the distance, Madrin and Kugald drop their bows and switch to shield and spear and link up with their shield partners. Thorin, Neirin and Hovik are the reserve. They ensure no one sneaks up behind the group, deal with any breakthroughs and assist the injured. If one of the front four is wounded, Thorin steps in and Hovik pulls the wounded member to safety. Neirin continues to uses his bow as long as possible, switching to axe and dagger when the combat gets too close or the group is attacked from behind.

Better ideas are welcome.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:52 am

Hovik says with a sharp voice, "Dammit, Kugald, I'm a doctor not a shieldman." Laughing

Hovik never claimed to be a warrior. He may have Dagger (60) on his character sheet, but no one in this group has ever seen it demonstrated. In fact, no one has ever seen him in any kind of fight, as he always backs down from any kind of violent confrontation. I imagine that Kugald would probably consider Hovik a complete sissy. I imagine Thorin will be rather non-plussed at being paired with him.

So I imagine the following exchange.

Kugald: ". . ., and Thorin - you take the rear guard. Everybody understand their assignments? Any questions?"
Neirin: "What about Hovik?"
Hovik: Stops timing how long it takes the bubbles to burst in his lager and looks up with a blank face. Shocked
Kugald: "Right, Hovik . . . . um . . . Idea . . . Hovik, you have a really important job. You stick with Thorin and keep an eye out for ambushes." Wink
Thorin: "But - "
Kugald: cuts off Thorin before he can get his thought out. "And if anyone gets hurt you drag them to safety and do whatever it is you do to warriors that are injured." Rolling Eyes
Thorin: "But - "
Kugald, "Just remember, no running away, and no screaming like a girl." No
Thorin: Nods in agreement.
Hovik: "Got it. No screaming. No running away. I can do that." cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:21 pm

On the issue of the watch, I was thinking that the best would be a rotating watch.

1st Watch - 8pm to midnight
2nd Watch - midnight to 4am
3rd Watch - 4am to 8am

(All times are approximate since no one has a clock)

Each shield pair (or triple) would take one watch:

Day One:
1st Watch - Pair 1
2nd Watch - Pair 2
3rd Watch - Pair 3

Day Two:
1st Watch - Pair 2
2nd Watch - Pair 3
3rd Watch - Pair 1

Day Three:
1st Watch - Pair 3
2nd Watch - Pair 1
3rd Watch - Pair 2

Repeat....

This way, no one shield pair gets stuck with the 2nd (or Dog) watch. Two nights out of three, everyone gets 8 hours of continuous sleep (either late to bed or early to rise).

One member of the 3rd Watch is also responsable for making breakfast.

Sound ok to everyone else?

TTYL

- Kerry

"Analysis, Mr. Spock?" - From Catspaw, first aired in 1967

Wink
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:37 am

I actually really like the consideration for rotating watch, I was wondering if it would be better to have Algared on third watch and prepare breakfast and other meals as well, he does actually have the cooking skill (52). Of course it may be decided tat breakfast doesn't need cookery skill if merely boiling water and for porridge.

Antony
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:18 am

With new members added to the warband and other members gone perhaps Kerry you would like to edit your formations and watch lists....
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:01 am

Hi all,

As Neil requested, I have revised the marching order and the pairings:

R = Borygg Raal, I have him leading 50 yards ahead because he has an 85% awareness, good weapons skills and I don't think Neirin should be our lead scout anymore (since he is now an NPC). If an ambush is encountered, he falls back and pairs up with Thorin.

A = Algared, on the left side so his left handedness doesn't interfere with anyone else. He is now paired with his cousin Barak.

B = Barak, he will use his bow when the enemy is at a distance and then switch to shield and spear for close combat.

K = Kugald, leading from the front. He is now paired with Neirin (NPC), who will shoot arrows in combat.

N = Neirin (NPC)

H = Hovik, he will lead Kugald's horse while walking, and both horses in combat.

T = Thorin, he is the armored reserve to go where needed. He leads his own horse when walking, passing it to Hovik when combat approaches. He teams up with Borygg when he falls back to the group.

J = Jurri, he watches for any attacks from behind. He is paired with Edrick.

E = Edrick, he uses his bow at a distance and switches to shield and spear for close work.

Ordering the watch... Revisedmarchingorder

Let me know if anyone wants any changes.

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:32 am

Care to amend the watch list too... now that you have 4 groups of 2?
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:39 am

Just tossing this in as a thought. As i see it we have 2 options:

1. 4 night watches.

or
2. keep a three watch roster and rotate it, meaning so that pair have a full night sleep every third night. And make the group that gets the nights sleep is reponisble for preparing the breakfast or evening meal.

Like I say just tossing in my farthings thought.

Catch you all soon.

Fletch
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:47 am

My mistake Kerry could I get you to re-organise your march order, combat formations and watches without Neirin as you will be losing him from the warband very soon.

Thanks
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:36 pm

I like the idea of keeping three watches and getting a full night's sleep every three days.

I expected to loose Neirin. I will reorganize the marching order without him.

I will try and do this today, if I have time.

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:36 am

I was wondering if it might be worthwhile if everyone posted what duties they would like to fulfil while they are out in the wilderness ie. I have got Algared cooking. If there is some task/duty you think you would prefer to do then post a list here and then I will have a 'standing' order of who will be doing what.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:02 am

Beyond entertainment value and magical ability, Jurri can potentially:

Stand Watch
Forage
Help make camp (build fires, shelters, etc.)
Minor wood working repairs

He's agreeable to any of these things, but since his primary function is as the Daas' skald, he may or may not be consistently available, depending on Cunate's whims. Never seen him (the Daas) on the road before, so I'm not sure what to expect.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:05 am

New Watch Plan

Shield Pair 1

(A) Algared
(B) Barak

Shield Pair 2

(V) Vidar
(K) Kugald

Shield Pair 3

(T) Thorin
(R) Borygg

Shield Pair 4

(J) Jurri
(E) Erdrick

When we are on our own, Borygg scouts ahead 50 – 100 yards. He falls back and joins Thorin (when he is with us).

The idea of putting the better warriors in the second row is that they have the flexibility to help the less experienced warriors if they get into trouble. It also allows them to fire their bows right up until the last minute of engagement, thus thinning out the attackers.

Watch Standing

Night 1 Order = 1, 2, 3 (4 sleeps)
Night 2 Order = 4, 1, 2 (3 sleeps)
Night 3 Order = 3, 4, 1 (2 sleeps)
Night 4 Order = 2, 3, 4 (1 sleeps)

The order shows the shield pairs covering the first watch (8pm - midnight), second watch (midnight - 4am) and third watch (4am - 8am). The third watch is responsible for starting the fire (if it has gone out) and preparing breakfast.

Ordering the watch... Revisedformationsv4

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:23 am

Kugald is good at foraging, camping (i.e. survival) and is probably the best medic remaining in the group. He can also make average arrows, and is good at repairing weapons. Finally, Kugald has a decent chance of predicting the weather.

He would be a cook of last resort.

He will take his turn at all tasks with the rest of his men. He does not stand on ceremony.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:17 am

Kugald Daas wrote:

Night 1 Order = 1, 2, 3 (4 sleeps)
Night 2 Order = 4, 1, 2 (3 sleeps)
Night 3 Order = 3, 4, 1 (2 sleeps)
Night 4 Order = 2, 3, 4 (1 sleeps)

The order shows the shield pairs covering the first watch (8pm - midnight), second watch (midnight - 4am) and third watch (4am - 8am). The third watch is responsible for starting the fire (if it has gone out) and preparing breakfast.

Just a thought would it be better if the sleeping watch was woken half way through the last watch to light the fire and prepare the meal? Just seems rather dangerous for the third watch to be preparing meals and lighting fires if they are suppossed to be on guard.

Fletch.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:26 am

Hi Fletch,

Personally, I think they will already be awake. I have set the third watch from 4am to 8am. Being farming folk, I expect most PCs would be awake a dawn or soon after (6am or earlier in the summer).

In addition, the major part of being a sentry is just to be awake and alert. They work in pairs, so one can be on alert, watching for attacks, while the other gets the fire started (say at 5:30am). Food is not that complicated (a bowl of porridge) and mostly it consists of putting the water on so one of the early risers doesn't have to.

I think we are saying the same thing in different ways.

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:41 pm

New Watch Plan (based on the old watch system ansd watch set on the 30th Nuzyael)

Shield Pair 1

(J) Jurri
(B) Barak

Shield Pair 2

(V) Vidar
(B) Borryg

Shield Pair 3

(A) Algared
(K) Kugald

(I know we’re loosing Vidar soon)

Watch Standing

Night 1 Order = 1, 2, 3
Night 2 Order = 2, 3, 1
Night 3 Order = 3, 1, 2

Last edited by Algared on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:52 am

I will post in the game section soon but Vidar requests to be on the last watch tonight...
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down