From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 Peonu 720

+2
Kugald Daas
GM
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

5 Peonu 720 Empty 5 Peonu 720

Post  GM Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Time: Beginning 1st watch - Mid 2nd watch

Kugald wakes Jurri and he too now takes his place by the fire, the silence of the night allows Jurri the chance to play a few tunes through his head. With dawn coming Jurri feels the temperature beginning to warm and so he allows the fire to die down a little. Jurri takes to wandering around the camp a little to keep a better watch. With Jurri's watch coming to an end the sounds of the nocturnal animals begins to return.

With Jurri's watch over he moves towards the shelter to wake Barak for his turn on watch.

Barak takes his turn on watch and puts some wood on the fire to ensure that the embers will be hot enough for their morning meal. The sounds of the forest appear normal to Barak as those that should be heard at this time of the night. Then Barak sets to watching over his sleeping companions. He wanders around the perimeter of the camp but with little light he is not able to pick out any sign on the ground. Towards the end of Barak's watch the morning calls of the wildlife can be heard as the forest comes to life for another day. Soon after the first signs of a new day can be seen in the sky above the mountain range to the east.

Barak sits and waits for the sun to rise a little higher, soon the sun is high enough to shed enough light on the camp that he is able to wake the warband.

The warband immediately go about their morning routines, Algared by now has become adept at getting his cook pot set up and prepares the morning meal with the left overs from last night. While the cooking is getting done the warband pull down their shelter, they then sit down to enjoy their morning meal. While Algared cleans and packs up his cooking gear the rest of the warband attempt to return their campsite back to as natural as possible.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

5 Peonu 720 Empty Re: 5 Peonu 720

Post  Kugald Daas Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:21 pm

As the band wraps up the last few routine tasks, Kugald speaks with Barak. "I agree with what you said about covering our tracks, cousin. You know the way we want to go, I leave it up to you to pick our path today. You mentioned crossing rough and smooth land, over a hill, through the woods and in a stream. I suggest we do that today and for the remainder of our trip. I would like to get in a couple of watches of marching today, but if we come across an exceptionally good campsite or somewhere were we could pot another deer, we can revisit that decision. Until we are home, we are going to have to stay flexible."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:33 pm

While the morning meal simmers Algared once more attempts to cast Chalsea's Sponge, maybe it is the discomfort he felt the previous day after failing to build the correct form but today he seems to find the task relatively simple, and smiles as he feels the form build, and hold.

Having cast successfully, he returns to his pots and finishes the preparation of the meal. After the meal is eaten, Algared encourages everyone to drink their fill of water before before refilling the waterskins with fresh water.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Barak yawns, "I hope you had another good night sleep Algarad" he says.

[OoC: were there ducks on the nearby pond? If so Barak will grab his bow and see if he can pot a brace whilst the break fast cooks. "I'm off to the pond, I won't be long."]

Post by GM There was a small flock of geese that inhabited the pond, but they dispersed quite rapidly when you and Kugald first ventured over the small rise leading to the pond when you were both surveying the area when you first arrived. The geese did come back during the night to roost.

You set forth early in the morning with bow in hand to see what you might catch, but the geese were on the alert and took to wing before you were able to get yourself into a decent firing position

Post by Player Oh well, it was worth a try ;-) ..."

When he returns, Barak eats his breakfast quickly and prepares to leave. In response to Kugald he says "I'll do my best to confound any trackers. But we can't go too wild though, not all of us are as fit as you and I, nor do they have so much experience of crossing the scree slopes."

Last edited by Barak Daas on Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:56 am; edited 4 times in total
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:39 am

Barak Daas wrote: eats his breakfast quickly and prepares to leave. In response to Kugald he says "I'll do my best to confound any trackers. But we can't go too wild though, not all of us are as fit as you and I, nor do they have so much experience of crossing the scree slopes."

[OOC: Given Barak's skill as a hunter, I would assume he checked the pond for ducks before breaking his fast. For surely they would be disturbed by the activities of the warbands activities (cooking, cleaning and washing would surely have scared any wild ducks away).]

"Yes I did Barak," aAgared says to his cousin in answer to his question. In response to Barak's question to Kugald, Algared says "I dont know about that Barak, some of us may not be as physically strong as Kugald, nor be as skilled in arms as you. But do not assume training in arms as fitness. We have all been treakking the field, roads and hills of Dasslund and Storzarlund for the last month. Most of that time heavily laden, I would wager that we are all as fit. None of us are maimed, none of us are starved, or ill. Though I will grant that none of us are as use to trekking the hills and taking the hunting trails as you are."

Last edited by Algared on Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:53 am

Fletch wrote:I would assume he checked the pond for ducks before breaking his fast.
[OoC: So would I. I should have been more specific about that - I meant he'd eat breakfast on his return, I presume he'd only be gone 30mins max. I actually suspect he would have gone as soon as the first person woke - but I know you can't wind back time by posting earlier actions after others have posted later ones]
Algarad wrote:"But do not assume training in arms as fitness"
"We are all much fitter than the average ceorl, but some of us are more used to climbing the hills with full loads than others. As for your comparisions, I think I could give Kugald a run for his money in a weight lifting contest, and I am not trained in arms, I never claim to be a warrior. However, if I gave you offense I apologise."

[OoC: Barak has noted that one of the party tends to tire more quickly than the rest, and dosn't want to push the party beyond his capabilities.]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:19 am

"You do not give me offense Cousin, though to class training or skill as fitness is an error. You may be able to match Kugald in feats of strength. That doesn't make you as fit, endurance would be better mark of fitness. And yes, I found yesterday's march more uncomfortable and thirsty work than usual." Algared shrugs, "though I'll wager that over the next few days I will need much less water than any of our number. The advantage being that as a whole our water supplies will last longer. Yet my training which enables me to function with less water than the rest does not mean I am fitter merely just trained."

Alfter a moment Algared changes the topic and says, "Where there fowl at the pond again this morning? Maybe you should try a snare or two during the night if you have the tools to make the suitable snares."

Last edited by Algared on Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:21 am

Time: Mid 2nd watch - Early 3rd watch

With the morning meal eaten and the campsite returned as best as it can to 'oh natural' the warband head off, Barak this time leads the warband off towards the north west, skirting the edge of the mountains as you cut your way through the forested hills.

There is the air of a storm building.

The day is warming up quickly and the warband soon find their cloaks unnecessary and are soon packed away in backpacks. If it were not for the fact that you are travelling in hostile territory the warband would be more comfortable in shirt sleeves than quilt and mail. The wind now shifts to the south and remains quite strong offering a cool breeze to the warband as it blows through the trees while in the sky dark clouds begin to build.

Barak notes the sign of a disturbance in the forest ahead - something does not look right and he calls the warband to halt, the warband form a protective ring as they move towards the site. The sounds of the forest all appear to be as before and does not give away any sign that something is wrong. As Barak approaches the site of the disturbance a murder of crows (about six or so) fly away from the site.

Ahead lies a small clearing with an old firepit in the centre, the remains of a crude shelter is along the northern edge of the clearing, it has since collapsed. What is more important are the remains of three people that lie towards the eastern edge of the clearing (where the crows flew from).

Barak has a careful look around while the rest of the warband offer protection as he searches. Barak returns to the camp and offers that this group, perhaps six to ten in number were attacked by wolves at less than four days ago and judging by the tracks left wolves are responsible and there is one track worthy of note - the sign left behind would indicate that this wolves paw is the size of a mans hand.

This site is about a kilometre away from where you spent last night - yet you saw no sign of any wolf around your campsite.

Your warband continues to push and the going is slow and hot and soon sweat rolls freely from everyone's brows and bodies. The need for water is high as each of the warband drinks freely from the waterskins.

Leaving the corpses behind the warband push towards the north west. Jurri not able to recall any stories of wolves or werewolves decides to tell a story of wolf attacks that he makes up as he goes. Telling the tale as they march. The warband are on edge and it is not long before every shadow hides and every bush conceals a werewolf. Kugald calls for Jurri to stop his tales and concentrate on his search for danger.

Despite Kugald's call for Jurri to stop the damage has been done and the warband are now more cautious in their advance as there rate of movements slows down even further, as every bush and shadow is double checked for danger.

By the end of the 2nd watch there is a build up of dark clouds has continued and the wind has now shifted to the southwest and now it's effects are not felt as readily by the warband as the wind is blocked by the mountains it is only the motion of the tree tops above that indicate the current wind direction.

Into the 3rd watch the warband continues to push north west through the trees when the first drops of rain of begin to fall. The day remains quite warm but the rain soon puts a dampens the warband offering an intial relief from the heat. With the continuation of the rain it is not long before the first 'crack' of lightning flashes across the sky followed by the 'boom' of the thunder.

Last edited by GM on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:38 am; edited 2 times in total
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:04 am

As the small warband march into the third watch and the weather begins to worsen, Algared keeps his eyes open for possible camp sites if he spies a particularly good site he will bring it to the attention of his companions. (Survival skill roll= 19).

Last edited by Algared on Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:16 am; edited 3 times in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:41 am

Jurri is also looking for shelter. If he sees anything suitable, he'll point it out to the others.

Survival ML60, if a roll is needed.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:22 am

Kugald looks over the hunter's camp and the remains of their bodies. Does this look like a normal wolf attack? Have the men just been killed, or have they been killed and eaten like a hungry wolf would do? Have their been many wolf attacks on the settle side of the river over the winter?

Post by GM From your best assessment that it looks like a wolf attack, it does look like the bodies have been attacked by wolves and eaten by all forms of carrion.

The rain starts to fall.

"We have an opportunity here. With the heavy rain, most people, patrols included, will be hold up in the thrans where it is warm and dry. It is on opportunity to come down from the forest to the field's edge and make some distance. I know there is a chance that the fields will turn to mud and we will leave an even more obvious trail, but I want to suggest it before we to just hold up for the night."

"Barak, Borygg, Jurri, Algared, I want to hear your opinions."

"If everyone is against it, then we can camp and wait out the rain. However, if we are down on level ground, we can make good distance...especially if we do a forced march."

"The sooner we are out of Ibanvaalese held land the better."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:30 am

Jurri looks up at the flashes of lightning.

"This is a thunderstorm. We should be wary of low places. I say find a sheltered spot not in a ravine and wait for it to pass."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:38 am

Upon hearing Kugald's view of the changing weather, Algared responds. 'It could be an opportuity, especially if we can put more distance between orselves and the beasts that attacked the camp. Though how quickly will we be able to decend to the fields once more, and moreimportantly how treacherous will it be trying to ascend the hills once more should we need to climb once more. Though at least any prints and hopefully scent from our last camp to here will be washed away making us harder to track."

As Jurri gives his advice Algared nod's in aggreement, 'I can think of numerous nicer places to hold up in a thunderstorm, like an Ale house. But since that's out of the qestion," Algared chukles, "then we need a good defendable position for we seem to have found not only Ibanvaal patrols haunt these lands. Until we encountered that camp I had all but forgotten the winter wolves ravages... they had seemed so long ago."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:15 pm

"There is a good reason why people will be safe in hus and thran, it is foul weather to be out in."

"The risk of crossing the fields is that not everyone will be sheltering, and I don't to be caught in the open by a mounted patrol or a pack of wolves. You are also right that we will leave a very good trail, and I am no longer just worried about being tracked by men." Barak pauses for his words to sink in.

"The good thing about the downpour is it will wash away our scent, but that won't help if we leave clear footprints. I think if we are to move then we'd best be doing so on the harder soil and rock of the hills, and under the cover of the trees.

However, Jurri is right, waiting it out in a sheltered spot may be best. If we do we had better find a defensible site and have our spears ready to receive a charge."

[OoC: For the rest of the day Barak is going to keep his spear to hand and frequently look, sniff and smell all around for sign of wolves. He knows that the rain will dampen the senses but that is even more reason to be villigent]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:26 pm

"Jurri, to help us on our way, how about singing us some of your tales about wolves. You remember the one about the wolf that got in to the longhouse and killed all the children before the menfolk awoke..."

Barak turns to leave the party up to the lower slopes of the hill, to seek shelter (if something suitable is spotted) or continue there trek better concealed. However, he gessitates half expecting to be called back by Kugald.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:31 pm

"Good points all," says Borygg. "How about we start looking for shelter but if we don't find anything soon, we keep going? We'll already be soaked so we won't get any wetter."
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:12 pm

"Shelter it is." The band casts about for a suitable site.

Survival 64...which Kugald certainly doesn't find.

Last edited by Kugald Daas on Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Comment on his skill failure)
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:17 pm

Barak Daas wrote:"Jurri, to help us on our way, how about singing us some of your tales about wolves. You remember the one about the wolf that got in to the longhouse and killed all the children before the menfolk awoke..."

"Aye, very popular with the folk along the Altenfjord, that one. All right, if you think it won't call anyone...or anything...to us, I'll do a bit of singing, but it'll as likely give you troubled sleep..."

Jurri will sing a few tales concerning wolves (including, if they are part of Ivinian folklore, werewolves). He'll use 'Skaldic Magic' to instill (or enhance) a sense of unease among his listeners, so that by the time he finishes (if successful), they will be nervously eyeing every shadow and imagining monsters to explain every odd sound they hear.

Relevant Stats:
Jurri's VOI is 18
Oratory ML83 (Skaldic Poetry is his specialty; never was clear on what the bonus is...+10?)
Singing ML102 (Specialty is Eddas, but that wouldn't apply here.)
Folklore ML91 (Specialties in both Eddas and Skaldic Tales)
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Algared looks up at the sky as a flash of lighting is followed by a crash of thunder, the rain dripping from his face. "Well," he says with a half hearted chuckle, "I somehow feel it will be a cold and damp camp tonight." As Jurri entertains it seems that the very heavens with the rain, peels of thunder and flases of light seem to emphasise or highlight the skalds tale.

"Kugald," Algared says, "we may do well to have two on guard tonight, though with one changing every 1/2 watch."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:45 pm

"Guards with spears at the ready." says Barak over his sholder, stopping once more to scan for movement in the shadows.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:54 am

Fine as it is, Kugald frowns at Jurri's poetry and the reaction of 'some' of the others. "Girlie men..." he snorts under his breath.

He pulls his cloak tighter, glad he invested in a water resistant one before leaving.

"Enough songs...no offence Jurri, but let's find shelter before we are drowned like rabbits in a hole."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:38 am

"You know, the strange thing about the wolf attack is that the survivers headed east. I would have thought that they would have headed west like us. Perhaps they were Ibanvaal, rather than Manglanese as I have been thinking. Or perhaps the wolves deliberately herded them back in that direction..."

[OoC: Like everyone else Barak is on the look out for shelter, perhaps unlike others he is more concerned at finding somewhere where there are not so many opportunities for attack, rather than protection from the rain.]

Last edited by Barak Daas on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:55 am

Algared like the rest continues to keep watch for a suitable campsite, hopefully as he usually prefers a place that is hidden, easy to defend and close to a stream.

"Ok Jurri, since we aren't to be woed by your Skaldic training and skill anymore can you recall any folkflore or tales of note about wolves?". Algared chuckles in response to Kugald call for quiet, and notices that the weather, the grisly find and maybe Jurri's skill have put him and possibly the others ill at ease.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:17 am

Algared wrote:"Ok Jurri, since we aren't to be woed by your Skaldic training and skill anymore can you recall any folkflore or tales of note about wolves?".

OOC: My understanding is that Skaldic tales are essentially folklore that is done in the form of a very intricate poem, and sung. Sort of Viking rap, I guess. Anyway, my point is that whether it's sung or not, he's essentially told you what he knows (whatever that is, of course, is up to Neil), even if it is exaggerated for dramatic effect. Smile
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:31 am

Time: Early 3rd watch - End 4th watch

When the rain starts the warband quickly grab for cloaks to protect them and with the rain pouring down steadily Kugald scan around in search of a place to shelter but is unable to find any, so he points off towards the north west and says "Barak lets get going till we find some shelter".

The warband continue to push on through the trees, the water dripping from the foilage above, their cloaks keeping most of the water at bay. The warband has trekked several hundred yards into the forest when Barak notices through the trees a cliff face some firty yards high that seem to be in the lee of the storm.

Changing his tack towards the west Barak heads towards the cliff, where protected from the wind and the rain the warband are able to lie up in relative safety.

The storm continues for over half a watch before the thunder and lightning stop, the rain continues for about a quarter watch after the storm, but with the worst of the storm over the warband prepare themselves to march again, the day remains warm with the wind from the south west, the sky is still full of dark clouds.

Keeping within the treeline the warband heads north once again. You push on for the remainder of the 4th watch, the going is slow and the storm has done little to ease the tension felt by everyone (except Kugald Smile ) after listening to Jurri's tales. The rain has made the footing a little less sure and with the light fading as the sun sets behind the mountains to the west the warband approach a wide river that runs north east to south east.

The river is quite wide about 30 yards where you are (it does not seem to narrow anywhere near you) and is flowly freely. There is perhaps half a watch of daylight left.....

I have amended one of my previous posts to reflect Jurri's tales of wolves
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next