From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strangers in the wood

+2
Borygg Raal
Barak Daas
6 posters

Go down

Strangers in the wood Empty Strangers in the wood

Post  Barak Daas Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:42 am

I have absolutely no plan on how best to deal with the strangers in the wood.

They could be Ibanvaal spies/scouts; or they could be 'Daas' hunter/trackers either from Ygresdram or more likely Abderhiem.

It seems to me the best approach is a bold one. If we tried to sneak up on them they probably would have spotted us, and known by our actions that we didn't trust them. A single 'hunter' is much less of a threat. If they are on our side then Barak should be able to determine that quickly and they will be a good source of intelligence. If they are Ibanvaal then only Barak is being directly risked, and if they attempt to capture him then than should be enough of a distraction (hopefully) for the rest of the party to act. The first indication of what level of threat they pose will be how the react to Barak, and hopefully that will be known before he gets within spitting distance of them.

Last edited by Barak Daas on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:34 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Correcting typos)
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Strangers in the wood Empty Re: Strangers in the wood

Post  Borygg Raal Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:31 am

Sounds good to me. Borygg will try to get everyone up and ready to hustle to Barak's assistance.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryndis Serewyn Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:27 am

Well, I don't think Bryndis should be the one (clank clank clank) to sneak up the hill and see what Borygg has to say...
So I shall wait patiently down here... until it's time to attack.. or move on...
Bryndis Serewyn
Bryndis Serewyn

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Bjarni will gently lower his pack, unsling his shield and put his helm on. Gripping a spear, he will wait for the signal to move.
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Lowering his pack, placing his helm upon his head and readiying his shield and spear, Algared readies himself once Barak noticed something.
.. if he has found an Ibanvaal patrol they will need to kill them or capture them to avoid revealing the Daas march.. and hope they are but a party of scouts not due to return for a good while. With Abderhiem besieged Algared imagines would be it highly unlikely that any who had not rejoined the Daas at ygesdram would be in the hills, and They are the lead Daas scouts so there shouldnt be others ahead of them.

Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:56 pm

Yey, Barak's dead...

BTW, I posted the original post in the wrong thread - I meant it to be OOC chat; but I think a couple of the post above probably should have been posted to 14 Saraju rather than here :-)
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:27 pm

Bjarni, Borygg's cry will bean order but only if Barak is followed and hence the cry is uttered.

Barak tactics is that the three men chase Barak with their spears (which they readied). If so the may be surprised by find another 4 armed defenders. Us gaining the initiative would be a useful advantage.

The problem is if the men don't chase, or worse run off.

If the run, Barak and Borygg can try slowing them down with an arrow in the back (unlikely) or chase after them.

If they stand their ground we're no further forward.

Suggestions?
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:22 am

Take them out. Rush in and get them before they get away.
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:41 am

Barak Daas wrote:Yey, Barak's dead...

BTW, I posted the original post in the wrong thread - I meant it to be OOC chat; but I think a couple of the post above probably should have been posted to 14 Saraju rather than here :-)

I moved this topic here. I thought as you were making plans and discussing options about your current situation this should be in character.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:11 pm

In terms of Fletch's comments. I totally agree with the ambush theory. I hoped they might follow Barak over the crest and in to the rest of the party. But once arrows were flying there was no point Barak not releasing his, and once they were running, I am not sure there was much choice but to follow.

In terms of the gear; I suspect guarding the gear is more valuable than an extra warrior, but there is nothing Barak can do to communicate that.

Lastly, if they do escape, I do not think it is the end of the world. All they know is they encountered some people, who might be hunters or might be a patrol in Daas "controlled" Daaslund. Hardly that suprising. What they can't see is the main Daas host, and we are chasing they away from Cunates force.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:41 pm

I was thinking about the gear as well. While I was running after everyone else.
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:50 am

This is another instance of unclear communication. I didn't intend for Borygg to shoot at people so far away. I must have missed where it said these guys were 300 feet away. I was picturing a heavily wooded environment, where we wouldn't have line of sight that far. My mistake. Now we're chasing people, which doesn't make much sense. Sorry everyone.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:25 am

Hey, that's what makes gaming so much fun... if everything went smoothly then it wouldn't be fun :-)

What we achieved is a realistic simulation of the fog of war, which wargamers strive so hard to achieve.

I though Barak was nearer when he approached them, I thought they would chase Barak harder, I thought they would be closer when he dropped his weapons... all my mistakes. I probably should have posted less in advance and given Neil the opportunity to post is smaller steps.

But at the end of the day we're chasing people through the woods - it's not like we're being attacked by a Nolah (... Yet :-)
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Strangers in the wood Empty After the chase

Post  Algared Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:20 pm

"I did not chase them much beyond here, just two more ridges. I was not catch up with them fast enough and probably would soon lose them, and I was already loosing you and could not hear you behind me. I thought they might stop and fight, in which case it would be three against one and them with better weapons and shields."

"As for how long it is to Abderheim from here, I am not totally sure. I doubt it is more than a watch."

"As for a camp sight, we can look around here for one. The main difficult might be if those men decide to come back. Should we not follow them so we know what is happening with them?"

“I agree Barak, we have a problem if they come back. We also want to ensure they don’t discover the trail we have marked. I imagine there will be several options. If I was the commander and had a scouting party return with two injured, by bowmen, then I’d send a force to investigate and possibly another to try cut off our retreat.

So how can we best guard the trail from discovery and disguise our own role, can we try to move higher into the hills and from cover watch this position? Enabling us to Ambush any patrol that is sent?

Or should we follow and see if we can find the foe, believing he has eluded the one man pursuit, although I’m sure they noted both Barak and Borryg?

Algared waits giving each a chance to consider the situation comment before making a decision.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryndis Serewyn Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:47 pm

"It appears we have two tasks before us; mark the trail for the host which follows, and ensure we're not discovered. The more urgent task would seem to be making sure we're not discovered, which means stopping those men before they can report (if we can). If we can't stop them and a scout gets sent out, even if we stop the scouting party... they'll still have a notion that something is up."

"Barak, were the men injured severly enough that it will hamper their travels once the adrenaline wears off?"
Bryndis Serewyn
Bryndis Serewyn

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:21 pm

"I say follow them"
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:02 pm

Bryndis Serewyn wrote:"Barak, were the men injured severly enough that it will hamper their travels once the adrenaline wears off?"
The one that Borygg hit in the leg hardly seemed to be slowed at all by the wound. The one I hit in the back seemed like a pulpable hit, but he shrugged it off, and crested the ridge out of sight with little impact to his progress."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:32 pm

In response to Algared "We can chase them but I don't know if we will catch them. Borygg and I may have a chance to cat ch up with them, but I don't know if you Bryndis or Bharni will be able to keep up. It all depends on whether they keep running flat out. If we do chase them we won't have time to mark a path for, or find a camp for, the Daas' host. We could split up - some follow the Ibanvaalers to see what they do, a couple stay here to set out a campsite, and one goes back to Cunate to inform him of the encounter."

"I don't think the Ivanvaalers will have learnt a lot from us. All the honestly know is a small party, I believe they only saw two of us, of hostile people in these woods."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:40 pm

Barak Daas wrote:In response to Algared "We can chase them but I don't know if we will catch them. Borygg and I may have a chance to cat ch up with them, but I don't know if you Bryndis or Bharni will be able to keep up. It all depends on whether they keep running flat out. If we do chase them we won't have time to mark a path for, or find a camp for, the Daas' host. We could split up - some follow the Ibanvaalers to see what they do, a couple stay here to set out a campsite, and one goes back to Cunate to inform him of the encounter."

"I don't think the Ivanvaalers will have learnt a lot from us. All the honestly know is a small party, I believe they only saw two of us, of hostile people in these woods."

"I am inclined to agree, we could follow but unless they slow down we'd be unlikely to catch them. You and Borryg may succeed if we split up but then we would need to continue to mark the path and try find a suitable camp. If you and Borryg follow try to determine if they have returned to their main host kept running or stopped.. if by chance you manage to close with them try to remove them. While find a suitable site... If someone was to report backl to the Daas, likely a watch behind us what would they say.. we encountered a scouts party that outrun us. The Daas is likely only a watch behind us at most. I would like us as close as we can get to Abderhiem.

If you and Borryg scout ahead and track them see if you can find how much further we'd have to march also."

As Bryndis noted we have a two fold task. If you feel we cannot catch them then we need to continue with our task be on extra guard. Though we must also be aware that when they report the Ibanvaal force will likely be on hieghtend alert and we may find more are left to maintain the siege than initally hoped would be."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:25 pm

"So what is the decision? Do Borygg and I follow them? We need a quick decision else we'll never catch them."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:35 pm

"Yes barak, you and Borryg scout ahead, try to determine if the three continued, slowed or even stopped. Try to establish how far away from Abderhiem we are, however.." Algared looks up skywardgaging the time. But at most only advance ahead of us a watch. "From the distances travelled yesterday and the time now I'm hoping we're only a half watch away from Abderhiem.

If now we are but a half watch from Abderhiem we should look to holding here for the host."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:02 am

"Do you want me to go back and bring the host to this spot Algared?"
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:09 pm

Bjarni Daasen wrote:"Do you want me to go back and bring the host to this spot Algared?"

"The host are following us anyway, and will should be a watch maybe two behind us. For one of us to head back merely to guide them to us when they are following our trail will not bring them any quicker.. you backtrack for a watch and you'd still arrive back here in two watches with them. Though we should find a defensive position, and stay alert, low and keep watch.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:32 pm

"You are the helmsman on this trip," Bjarni says. Seeing as they may be expecting action he will put his byrnie on.
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum