From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

22 Nuzyael 720

+2
Algared
GM
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

22 Nuzyael 720 Empty 22 Nuzyael 720

Post  GM Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:40 pm

Although your nights sleep is still uncomfortable by your standards you manage to sleep a little better tonight, the area in which you are sleeping allows you to lie flat for the first time in several nights. The mountains protect you from the prevailing winds and the moon can be seen in the sky above.

Soon the suns rays wakes you from your rest, soon you have packed your gear and have had something to eat and are ready once more to begin your march.

Your march leads you north along the trail, at last the march and the descent is easier, after about 3/4 a watch of walking you leave the mountains and enter an area of pastures and meadows, the mountains now seem to extend all the way around you except for a valley heading north in the direction of the trail. The sun continues to rise into the sky and with the mountains gone you find yourself bathed in sunlight for the first time in what seems like a long while. The day is cool with a slight wind blowing down the valley from the north east with the weather improving the mood of the warband seems to lift slightly.

By high sun the warband is ordered to halt. After a pause the warband once again leaves the trail heading south, but after only a short distance the warband enters another wood at the base of the mountain range to the east. Here the warband is ordered to rest. After some time the stragglers of the warband have closed up and everyone seems to be enjoying the rest.

You rest here for nearly 1/2 a watch. During this time you are able to chat and wander around as everyone tries to catch up with friends and family that they have not been able to chat with for several days. It is during this time that you find out a total of twenty-one men fell during along the journey through the mountains. Some of them were men you knew.

Soon the warband can here a voice calling "Kugald, Kugald, has anyone seen Kugald" the voice seems to be getting closer probably directed by others nearby as to your whereabouts.

Soon the familiar figure of Thaldirs approaches and once he lays eyes on Kugald stops calling and makes his way towards him.

Kneeling next to Kugald, Thaldirs says "We are not far from the first thran that we intend to capture. Our scouts are out there now securing our position, while a few have gone on to have a look and see what they are upto" pausing for a moment Thaldirs continues "how would you like a chance to redeem some of your lost honour" he says with a smile
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

22 Nuzyael 720 Empty Re: 22 Nuzyael 720

Post  Algared Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:02 pm

Algared is seated with Kulgald and others from the band relaxing when Thaldirs approaches. As Thaldirs speaks Algared reaches for his helm and avoids burting out 'just tell us where?" I have both mine honour to redeem with the Daas and Kugald, after my failure. None-the-less Algared allows Kugald kugald to answer before rising and preapring for whatever the task lies ahead.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:24 pm

As Thaldris and Kugald talk, Barak continues to relax in an easy attitude - as easy he can be after carrying all this war gear up and down a mountain. He dosn't feel he has lost any honour, in his eyes or anyone else's, from the trudge round Daaslund. However, a fight might imply loot - and loot is what he needs. Plus, he wouldn't mind showing Kugald that he isn't the only one who can fight. So once he knows what is planned he'll be as eager as anyone else to get started.

Last edited by Barak Daas on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:39 pm

Kugald’s eyes light up at Thaldirs’ proposal. He quickly rises to his feet, throwing off his blanket, his weariness and grumpiness instantly forgotten. His eyes burn bright with anticipation. He smiles wolfishly.

He looks around at the members of his band. He sees, especially in Algared’s eyes, the hunger to redeem their honor. Kugald looks straight at Thaldirs and says simply, “Yes.”

The weaponcrafter leans over, picking up his spear and shield.

“Where and when? We can be ready to go in minutes.”

He looks around at the others, his posture, body language and gaze makes it clear they need to be ready to depart soon. Kugald's hunger for redemption is almost palpable.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:38 pm

Borygg is also eager for action after all that walking. He'll start to gather his gear and ready himself for whatever Thaldirs tells Kugald.

OOC: I assume at this point we are pretty much out of food. Have we had chances to refill waterskins?
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:33 am

"Steady, you pack of mountain lions!" Thaldirs says as he kneels next to you.

You are able to see that the journey through the mountains took its toll on everyone, Thaldirs looks tired, his clothes are torn about the knees and his boots, leggings and the sleeves of his tunic are covered in dirt and grim. You take a few moments and realise that your own clothing is in much the same condition, your smell alone could probably clear the thran of the enemy!

"Here is what we have planned, a thran lies about two kilometres further to the north, we intend to attack at first light on the morrow. Now the problem is, if they see us all walking down the road they will close the gate, with just about everyone inside and then we spend the next few days seiging the place - we don't have the time for that" Thaldirs pauses

"Your warband plus a few extras, will under cover of dark enter the thran, you will occupy a clans dwelling and then when they open the gates for the new day, you will rush forward and seize the gate and hold it until the main force arrives. I will take a few extra warriors and some of the scouts and hold the outside of the gatehoue - you" as he waves his hand to indicate the warband "will hold the gatehouse proper and keep the gates open"

With a look that says he is in doubt adds "we are still hoping that the locals are loyal to the Storzars and will let us occupy their clanhouse peacefully otherwise we may have to occupy with force"

"so we will rest up for the rest of the afternoon and move out when its dark"

While still kneeling Thaldirs says "any question???"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:57 am

"very well.'" Algared says he settles down again. Then adds. "Thaldir's since we hope to encourage the locals then those chosen should see to our attire and gear. We will instill more confidence if we dont look like a band of brigands" Algared laughs as his movement causes the smell of stale sweat to rise. "I'm sure it will do wonders for how we feel as well... with that said you''re right I could use a bath, though since I cant conjour up a hot tub a a cold wash will have ti suffice."

Algared takes stock of his appearance and begins sorting through his equipment, Thaldirs takes you by your forearm "no time for that now, we are here to fight, not look for a wife!" he adds with a smile" Algared now looks to the maintenance of his gear before settling down to sleep until they are ready to move out.

Last edited by GM on Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thaldir has a change of plan...)
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:39 am

Barak is still reclining nonchalantly with his back against a tree stump, not having dashed to get up when Thaldris first started to speak. When Barak does start to speak he tries to make it sound like he is just idly talking to himself.

“If we approach after dark, then the gate will be shut against us. We’ll have to scale the walls, or maybe fight our way in. Either may alert the defenders and keep the gates firmly shut against a host.
Might not a smaller and unarmed party, approaching from the north in the light of the day arouse less suspicion? Might they be freely admitted, maybe even housed as guests? At worse, arrested and held overnight? From there they could open the gates and keep them open in the morning.

You have to have a very good story. But in these turbulent times, with most of the menfolk presumably off at Froyaheim, and strangers with the army from central Ibanvaal roaming the land, it is not impossible for a small unknown party to have legitimate business here. What about a young Ibanvaal lord, detached from the siege, and enjoying hunting with his retinue - a priest, clerk and a couple of hunters etc – who has travelled too far south in pursuit of deer, and now seeks shelter for the night before returning in the morning.

Hmmm.... no probably it would not work, and no one has the courage to take the risk.”

Barak returns to chewing on his dried salt beef.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:18 am

Kugald kneels back down next to Thaldirs to discuss the plan.

GM wrote:
"Your warband plus a few extras, will under cover of dark enter the thran, you will occupy a clans dwelling

"To be clear, you mean for us to occupy a dwelling in the village, but outside of the walls of the thran, correct?"

GM wrote:
and then when they open the gates for the new day, you will rush forward and seize the gate and hold it until the main force arrives. I will take a few extra warriors and some of the scouts and hold the outside of the gatehoue - you" as he waves his hand to indicate the warband "will hold the gatehouse proper and keep the gates open"

"Seems like a simple and straight forward plan. I have a new philosophy in life, 'keep it simple Kugald'. I like simple plans, there is less to go wrong."

GM wrote:
With a look that says he is in doubt adds "we are still hoping that the locals are loyal to the Storzars and will let us occupy their clanhouse peacefully otherwise we may have to occupy with force"

"Then it is best we sneak in late, when few people are around, that way we can seize the clan house without anyone seeing us. We will need stealth for this mission."

GM wrote:
"so we will rest up for the rest of the afternoon and move out when its dark"

"Aye."

GM wrote:
While still kneeling Thaldirs says "any question???"

"Not from me, anyone else?"

Barak wrote:
“If we approach after dark, then the gate will be shut against us."

"If I understand the plan correctly, then we won't be attacking the gates until tomorrow morning when they open them."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:24 am

[OoC: We could do with a definition of "thran" for this game. Mostly it seems to be being used by the GM to mean the houses of the lead clan which is enclosed by the stockade (which I call the thranhold for no real reason), but some of the players, including me, are using thran to mean the entire settlement - the defended enclosure and the village outside of it. It dosn't really matter what thran means - as long as we all understand it to mean the same thing ;-)]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:51 am

Barak Daas wrote:[OoC: We could do with a definition of "thran" for this game. Mostly it seems to be being used by the GM to mean the houses of the lead clan which is enclosed by the stockade (which I call the thranhold for no real reason), but some of the players, including me, are using thran to mean the entire settlement - the defended enclosure and the village outside of it. It dosn't really matter what thran means - as long as we all understand it to mean the same thing ;-)]

I take it that any settlement that makes the menglana region map is a Thran, and it is the main settlement that is discussed whenever we talk of different Thrans.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:41 am

Thranaal = large settlement in its entirity
Thranhold = the buildings associated with the ruling clan
Thran = the entire settelment

Thaldirs nods to Kugald "yes you have the jist of the plan" he then stands and says "I suggest you get as much rest as you can, I will come for you later tonight"

He turns and heads back towards the head of the warband.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:41 am

OOC: Assuming the gates are relatively similar from one thran to the next, can you describe what this gatehouse is likely to consist of? Is it a double gate, for example? Is it a single building or will it be necessary to seize and hold more than one structure? How difficult would it be to disable the gate itself (i.e. damage the hinges, or whatever, so it can't be closed/barred)? Can one person open/close the gates alone, or does it require teamwork?

IC: Jurri looks puzzled. "I don't understand this plan. If we are approaching after the gates are shut for the night, how is it we are to occupy a clanhouse until morning?"
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:07 am

Kugald looks over at Jurri.

"Let me explain again. We approach the thranaal (the entire community including the fortified thranhold and a scattering of long houses OUTSIDE the wall of the thranhold). We slip in among the buildings OUTSIDE the wall. We select a building close to the gate of the thranhold, but still outside it. We slip inside this clan house (probably the home of a thrall family, since it is outside the defenses), taking the family inside prisoners. We wait inside the house the rest of the night. In the morning, we peer out from inside the house. When the guards (inside the thranhold) open the gates to the thranhold, we throw open the door of the clan house we are hiding in and rush the gates, capturing the two to four guards flat footed. We then seize and hold the gatehouse, form a shield wall in the gateway and repel all attackers until the main body of our army arrives. Since we are holding the gate open for them, they can sweep through the gate and capture the thranhold easily."

"Is that more clear?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:10 am

Jurri Grebel wrote:OOC: Assuming the gates are relatively similar from one thran to the next, can you describe what this gatehouse is likely to consist of? Is it a double gate, for example? Is it a single building or will it be necessary to seize and hold more than one structure? How difficult would it be to disable the gate itself (i.e. damage the hinges, or whatever, so it can't be closedbarred)? Can one person open/close the gates alone, or does it require teamwork?

IC: Jurri looks puzzled. "I don't understand this plan. If we are approaching after the gates are shut for the night, how is it we are to occupy a clanhouse until morning?"

When Kugald finishes Algared adds, "Jurri, just like Ygesdram, some of the Clan houses are outside the thran walls, like my fathers or the meadhall and even the metalsmiths. All are located outside the walls. It is possible we may be able to gain the assistance of several clan houses, though that will depend on how the ibanvaal dogs have treated them. just like their attack on us at the river their attack on menglana was unprovoked and without warning. may Sarajin curse every last ibanvaal dog and bring us victory."

Last edited by Algared on Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:10 am

OOC: Yes, now that I'm clear on where the gate is, it makes much more sense. Thanks.

IC: A look of comprehension dawns on Jurri's face. He nods his understanding at Kugald's explanation.

(edit: and Algared's)

OOC Aside: I think part of my confusion is that my mental image of a "thran" is like Froyaheim. Obviously, most are more like Ygesdram. (This is where sitting around a table and being able to see a map or sketch would be helpful in a FTF game.)
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:06 am

Just about everyone in the warband takes this opportunity to get some rest. A few men stand watch near the treeline. You doze off amid the trees moving every now and then as the sunlight shines into your eyes through the leafy canopy above.

When you are awoken it is very near dark with perhaps only 1/8 of a watch left of sunlight.

Thaldirs stands over you "You lot ready, get your gear sorted we move in about 1/2 a watch. Get yourself something to eat"

You pack your gear, get something to eat (your rations are all but gone now) and make yourselves ready to move.

With darkness falling fast you sit and wait. With everyone now sitting in darkness, Thaldirs finds you and guides you north to the edge of the trees. With a 1/2 moon lighting your way the going is not as hard as the last few days but the travel is slow none the less.

Thaldirs and twelve other warriors makes up the first warband while your warband makes up the second group. You head north and pick up the trail you travelled on earlier just outside the thran. Sitting to the east of the thran is the thranhold, its gatehouse silouhetted against the night sky, several clanhouses can be seen by the lights coming through shuttered windows.

Thaldirs motions his group towards one clanhouse and bids you good luck until you meet again in the morning. He takes his warband off into the darkness and is soon gone from view. Your warband are left standing in the darkness from where you are there are two obvious choices for a clanhouse to occupy.

The first and closest lies not more than 30' in front of you, light shines from two shuttered windows but it is quiet inside and all looks as it should, the second lies just at the edge of your visibility about 90' away, it has a single light shining from a shuttered window the rest of the clanhouse looks to be in darkness, this clanhouse is to far away to hear anything inside.

Your move...
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:52 am

Kugald quickly picks up his gear and is ready to go. He helps the others get their gear together and soon they are following Thaldirs into the darkness.

Once they arrive at the edge of the village, Thaldirs and the others leave.

Kugald kneels and gestures for the others to come in close so they can communicate in very quiet whispers.

"So," he says looking at the others, "the near house with lights or the far house with only one candle?"

"I think it is worth the risk to try and sneak around to the far house. With only one candle, it is probably either just one person, or very poor people. Either way, they are less likely to resist or raise the alarm."

"Say your peace..."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:21 am

[OoC: Question 1 for the GM: Which clanhouse is nearest the gatehouse? Question 2 for the GM: Who makes up our warband? Is it just the PCs and no NPCs?]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:30 am

"Well our objective is the gate house, so I say the closest to the gate whichever it be. We have Thaldirs at our back. We just need to make sure none raise the alarm.. though I prefer a short dash to the gate any distance will feel like a league or more and make the march feel like an easy walk in meadow if the alarm is raised.. if we could secure both I'd say both, but do not not suggest we try for that. We will need to be together in the morn and in hostile territority I'd rather trust our number. So the simpler the less chance for a screw up."

Algared hopes the Thran will rise but he feels that it is likely most of the fighting men were killed when Ibanvaal invaded or forced into thralldom, their women folk taken as warbrides. Though it is possible they long for the day when they will be free.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:14 am

"I agree." says Barak "Unless there is something obviously wrong, we should go for the clanhouse nearest the gate. We must get to the gate, before they have the chance to close it when they see us coming. The shorter that run the better. We should try and ensure no word gets out from the house. This is more a job for tricks and suprise, than strength of arms. I suggest Borygg, Erdrick and I try to surround the house to ensure no one escapes; and then Kugald, Jurri, Vindar and Algarad [OoC: I am assuming that Thorin is either with Thaldris, or Cunate] enter by the main door and secure the house. The sight of a warrior, priest and skald, might be enough to keep anyone quiet."

[OoC: Equipment. I presume, since nothing was said to the contrary Barak is still carrying all his equipment. If so, he'll unsling his pack as he approaches the house, and carefully place it and his throwing spears on the ground, as soon as he reaches it. He needs to be free to fight and chase.]

[Future Out of Character: Just in case events move on, assuming the house is secured. Barak will suggest that party refreshes their rations from whatever preserved foods the house has "I don't like to suggest this, but it is nothing compared with what the rest of the host will do when they arrive, I think". Barak then suggests that the fastest runners and those not slowed by armour (Kugald?) should first leave the house with the slower people bringing up the rear. "With my speed, lack of armour and skills with the spear, perhaps I should go first?" Barak dosb't often volunteer to be the hero - and hopes they have no one ready with bow or javelin. When the time comes for the rush, he'll leave his knapsack, spare throwing spears, and the ration sack in the house]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:50 am

Barak Daas wrote:[OoC: Question 1 for the GM: Which clanhouse is nearest the gatehouse? Question 2 for the GM: Who makes up our warband? Is it just the PCs and no NPCs?]

Answer 1. It is hard to tell, the gatehouse is silhoutted against the night sky off to your right, you cannot really tell how far away the gatehouse is at all. Which house is closest is also hard to determine, unless you wish to pace them out then I can give you a definite answer Razz . Both clanhouses look to be about the same distance away, there may be a clanhouse or two closer but hidden by the night, if you wish to look around I can accomodate that as well Twisted Evil It would seem that both clanhouses that can be seen would be suitable for the job.

Answer 2. You warband is made up of the PCs only at the moment....
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:40 pm

Barak, having scrutinised the two house further says "They could both be the same distance from the gatehouse, it is hard to tell. We might as well do as you suggest Kugald and go with the house with only the single light."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:45 pm

"I prefer a straight-on fight to all of this stealth and subterfuge. At the same time, I wouldn't recommend an all-out assault on the gatehouse either. Neither is tasteful to me, but whichever puts us on the road to glory the most effectively, that's the path I'll follow."

Vidar listens passively to the rest of the plans, eyes wide in excitement. He rocks back and forth on his heels as Kugald and Thaldirs go over the strategy.

After the discussions, "Let's rest. And upon waking, any who wish to partake of the Gray Slayer's blessings can meet me for a brief prayer." Vidar retires to sharpen his battleaxe.

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:02 am

As you are gather near each other from the darkness you hearing a knocking on a door. You all pause and turn in the direction of the noise, your ears searching the night for any other sounds.

In what seems like an eternity, but might have only be a short moment, you hear a door open and a male voice attempt to get out a greeting before the sounds of a brief struggle which end with the sound of a door closing.

Pausing for a moment the noise does not appear to have attracted any unwarrented attention.

Soon you are drawn back into your own conversation....
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next