From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12 Peonu 720

+2
Algared
GM
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

12 Peonu 720 Empty 12 Peonu 720

Post  GM Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:32 am

Time: Beginning 1st watch - Mid 2nd watch

The rain continues to fall throughout the night in a steady downpour that drenches everything. The fire is extinguished the wood soaked and the ground around the camp turned into a damp, sodden mess.

The wind has increased as it howls through the trees, blowing them about, the noise of the trees and the rain becomes disconcerting to Kugald as he warily casts an eye skyward every now and then as he awaits a crashing branch from the treetops above.

With Kugalds turn on watch complete he wakes Algared who seems to have slept well until being woken for his turn on watch. The watch passes without event as Algared battles just to stay dry and warm. Before long the rain eventually stops about a 1/4 watch before the eastern sky begins to lighten with the start of a new day.

The sky to east reveals light grey clouds that hang low in the sky. The wind contnues to howl from the north east as it cuts through the warriors clothing with every gust.

Soon there is enough light for the warband to be woken and so Algared approaches each warrior in turn waking them, they each look skyward and the cold wind tells them all they need to know. Rising from their bedding they each go about packing their sleeping gear and then continuing with their morning routines.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

12 Peonu 720 Empty Re: 12 Peonu 720

Post  Algared Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:57 am

As the morning light slowly brightened Algared went to add wood to the fire only to find the wood pile a soaked and the fire pit drenched. 'No warming fire this morning." He mumbles to himself. None the less he breaks out the berries or nuts if any remain from their previous nights forage to break their fast once he has woken the other members of the band.

"The water flow will be bad and I imagine even the ford will be swollen after that rain fall." He says as he packs his gear ready to leave.

Post by GM There is enough forage left for the morning meal. Everyone eats their fill with naught left over
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:14 pm

"So what are we doing? Up river or down? Or waiting 'till night fall?"
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:57 pm

Kugald wearily rubs the sleep out of his eyes. He is cold and damp. The roots and berries are not enough to feed his heavy frame.

"Well, the storm will likely have made the tributary impassable for today, perhaps even a couple of days, even at the ford where the Ibanvaalese are camped. We will have to wait to cross. My suggestion is to move upstream, away from the Ibanvaalese and set up a more substantial camp protected against the weather."

"Barak, do you think you could find and hunt anything in this weather? We need a deer, or at least a dozen rabbits to hold us over until the weather breaks, the river subsides and we can cross back into Daaslund."

"The only other real option is to double back and head upstream along the Liem River and look for a boat. My concern there is that by killing one of the mounted patrol members, the thrans are likely to be stirred up and watching for us. With the executions of innocents for our deeds, I think the local population will have no choice but to report us if we are seen, perhaps even participate in hunting us. This is their home turf. We will not escape if the entire region is mobilized to hunt us. If we stay hidden, don't attract attention then we have a chance of making it home before my belly button meets my spine."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:34 pm

"If we're going to be here a while, why not make a simple raft? It's springtime; the rain's as likely to continue or even get worse."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:43 pm

Kulgald wrote:"Barak, do you think you could find and hunt anything in this weather?"
"I can hunt in this weather. It is not the best conditions though. I am not sure I'd be able to find that quantity of meat, not unless I went hunting on the thrans. If I go hunting, are you staying here or do you want me to try and find you up river. Also if you move camp whilst I am gone, you'll need to carry my gear. Perhaps if you want to move on up the river it would be best for me to go with you and hunt afterwards."

"As for camps, I expect that the terrain is going to become worse and worse the closer you get to the mountains. These mountains consist of steep, rugged inclines and sheer cliff faces, that make a predictable passage through them impossible."

Last edited by Barak Daas on Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:17 am

"True Barak the terrain may be worse higher up, but if we are unable to cross at present and taking a boat is out of the question then we do want to move further away from the Ibanvaal camp. As for the locals their valhakers will soon be returning having pledged their loyalty to the Dagan. We will need to find a camp higher in the hills and further away if we intend or need to stay here longer. I would suggest we find a new camp before you leave to go hunting. And then while you are hunting we set up camp and forage. if we stay near the river maybe we'll also spy a Daas patrol and they will be able to assist us in crossing." Algared shrugs as he says the last. He then adds, "However, while we assume the rains will have swollen the fords making them impassable maybe we should observe their flow. It may be they are not as bad as we think they will be. If that is the case and we have another downpour like last night then maybe that will be our chance. Visibility was pour with the rain and I doubt any but the guards were out in it, if they could avoid it.'
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:46 am

Barak will wait until they are all packed and ready to move out, before leading the party upstream. He follows the course of the tributary looking for likely crossing points. After half a watch or so, as well as watching the river he also starts to look for a good camping place meeting all the normal criteria, as well as possibly near good hunting territory. If nothing is found before mid sun, then he will call a halt then.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:46 am

Time: Mid 2nd watch - Mid 3rd watch

Breaking camp the warband heads south keeping within the forested hills. Barak leads the move as he carefully scouts a path through the rocky and forested slopes.

Not long after the warband start their march, light rain once again begins to fall. The wind howls in from the north west having shifted direction and the grey clouds once again gather overhead. The temperature remains cool, however, but the wind cuts through your clothing keeping the this cold with the wind chill.

The warband soon finds the river that seperates them from their homeland and with the rain it is flowing swiftly as it cascades down through the hills. Judging by the path of the river you would think that crossing it here would have been easier without the rain. You continue to push further up into the hills in the hope of finding a crossing place.

The warband is tired and needs to stop frequently to rest and take in water. With the downpour last night and the continuing showers the gathering of water is easy as there are numerous small streams and creeks that babble at the base of the slopes. Having crossed numerous smaller streams that feed the main river it seems that you have finally found a suitable place to cross. The water seems to be flowing slower here and the river is perhaps a little under 10 yards wide.

The current conditions might make the crossing more difficult though
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:13 am

"It's surely got to be deep here but only about 10 yards wide, our rope will easily cross over. And it looks as though we are fortunate that the Dagan's men haven't found this though we will want to make sure that this point is guarded." Algared says as he surveys the pond trying to guage the depth and current. "If the current isn't too strong we will be able to use the rope to help us cross. We could also wait a little and see if the passage eases somewhat and try to fish here as well.... Barak can you see any signs that Ibanvaal troops may have crossed here." Even as he asks Algared realises that with the downpour it is likely any signs are washed away, but then again he recalls how Neirin could see things and tell someone had passed recently even when what he had identified looked no different to anything else to Algared's eyes. Algared shrugs, then again Barak is a hunter his skill at tracking may be as good as the native.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:58 am

Before the party have had a chance to cover or remove any of the traces that might remain, Barak carefully search around the area to see if there are any signs of this place being used as a crossing place.

When he has done that he says to Algared "It might be worth waiting here for the day to see if the river's flood subsides. I can try hunting and others can try fishing or foraging."

Whilst the others discuss the course of action, Barak readies his hunting gear: "This is not good weather for hunting. A nasty day for prowling about in the woods." He grins "But the rain does cover your approach, and deer don't disolve in the rain, they are still there to be found."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:25 pm

"Barak", Algared asks before he heads off, 'I dont suppose your keen hunter's eye spied any Daaslunders hiding on the other side keeping watch.' Algared chuckles, " I Know wishful thinking on my part that more kinsmen may be near by and be able to assist us with a crossing."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:38 pm

He looks around at his four companions. “Brothers, we are at the very doorstep of Daaslund. I would hate for us to be captured now. I fear that any attempt to make for the Liem River and steal a boat or make a raft will only bring us to the attention of the Ibanvaalese. And while I do not fear dying in glorious battle with the invaders, throwing our lives away in vain combat helps no one, least of all our families.”

“I say we move further up the mountainside and find ourselves a secure, well sheltered site, preferably within sight of the river. Barak, please take your bow and find what game you can. Algared, Borygg, you see what roots and berries you can find, though my stomach is eating its way through my body on thin vegetable broth, it is better than nothing. Jurri, you and I will set up the new camp.”

Kugald peers out at the rain…

“Though, I don’t think there is much chance of it being a dry camp…”

“A day or two more my brothers and we will be back in Daaslund in a warm, dry clan house supping on a juicy haunch of beef and quaffing tankards of ale and mead.”

For a moment, the weaponcrafter looks his young age as he stares off into the woods, “…ah beef, I remember you.”

He snaps back to reality.

“So, how does that sound?”

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:09 pm

[OoC: I believe we have now found our 'secure' campsite opposite from a potential crossing point]

Barak picks up the last of his hunting gear and heads off to see what he can find in the rain "Unless I am very lucky with the game early on, I expect to be out all day. Expect me back a little before sunset."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Nodding, Algared stows his pack and gear next to Kugald's, and heads out of the camp to forage or roots, berries, mushrooms and the like. Trying to travel lightly Algared has his shield and spear but wears only his leather vest as armour and cloak for extra warmth. He will forage for a half a watch before returning to camp with what ever he has found. Upon returning he will help carry out tasks around the camp, search for dry wood or fish.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:32 am

Time: Mid 3rd watch

Barak is the first to leave the campsite having left with only his bow and quiver he has headed south further into the hills. Once Algared has stowed his pack he too heads off towards the north east while Borygg heads east in an effort to cover more ground in their search for forage.

Kugald and Jurri turn their attentions to preparing their campsite. They find a suitable place for a firepit and begin to prepare a fire. Jurri then turns his attention to gathering some firewood and finds a collection of timber and kindling that is suitably dry to be used for the fire. Jurri then returns back into the forest to gather some more wood that can be placed by the fire in an attempt to dry it out enough to be used as firewood.

Kugald initially struggles to get the fire lit but after some time he finally has the kindling smoking and before long a small flame lights the gloomy forest. With the timber collected by Jurri, Kugald soon has a respectable fire going, protected by a small hollow.

With a careful eye on the fire, Jurri then gives Kugald a hand as they attempt to erect a shelter to keep the weather away as best as possible.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:27 pm

Borygg returns to camp by late afternoon having gathered an ample supply of forage. He estimates there is enough to feed the warband for nearly two days.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:15 am

Borygg is the first to return to the camp bearing a bounty of forage. On his return he finds that a stockpile of firewood has been collected, a small fire burns (with a little more smoke because of the damp wood, but he figures out here who will see) and another shelter has been erected by Kugald and Jurri. The shelter looks to be doing its job as the area underneath seems to be out of the weather.

He takes a seat by the fire and begins to sort through the forage he found. Noting that he is the first to arrive 'home' he proceeds to place the forage he has gathered into five seperate piles dividing the bounty up as evenly as possible, for each warrior to collect at their leisure. Jurri and Kugald both collect their share as soon as Borygg is finished.

With Borygg, Jurri and Kugald enjoying the warmth of the fire they hear Algareds approach and quickly rise to their feet and grab for weapons but they soon drop their guard as Algared enters the camp. He too has collected a good supply of forage. Like Borygg, Algared takes a place by the fire and empties his bag onto the ground near the fire and begins to sort through the forage he has collected as it is divided up into five shares.

Soon the warband are sitting around the fire, less Barak. Each man having taken his share of the forage and placed it safely amongst their belongings.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:34 am

With the day's light fading Algared returns to the camp and greets his friends, "This was a rich area for forage it was going so well that it was only as the light started to fade that I realised the day was spent. A good sign the Dagan's forces may not have been here yet." Chuckling Algared continues. "Even I was able to find enough to sustain us for a day." Approaching the fire Algared places his forage down next to sort and while smiling says to Borryg, "You are a good teacher Borryg, that I have found this when I foraged for the first time only a couple of days ago is a tribute to your skill."

Once the vegetables fungi, berries, nuts and fruits gathered by both Borryg and Algared have been sorted Algared stands and gathering his cauldron fills it with water before setting it to boil in preparation for cooking.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:12 pm

Time: Mid 5th watch

With the late quickly fading there is still no sign of Barak. The rain has stopped and the wind has swung around to the south west, it has died down to nothing more than a breeze which causes the tops of the trees to sway. But you find that with your camp in the lee of the mountains you are mostly out of the weather. The day still remains cool, however, with the clouds beginning to part as they are backlit by a sunset which lights the sky in hues of red, orange and purple.

Off in the distance you can hear a racous from the south west. Grabbing your weapons you prepare yourself for what approaches. The noise continues to approach, it is definately nearing the campsite, you each take action seeking cover and preparing for who/whatever is approaches.

A familiar figure wanders into view, Barak looking extremely tired and fatigued. Behind him he drags a sapling hanging from which is the carcass of a gutted boar. Moving towards Barak the warband offer their aid which Barak gratefully accepts, his hands beginning to blister from dragging the heavily weighted sapling.

Covering the last hundred yards or so the warband heft the boar onto their shoulders and head back into camp.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:08 pm

Once in camp Algared prepares a large portion of the boar for roasting for the evening meal deciding that the amount of meat should mean that they will need only a few of the foraged goods to give a little extra flavour. While the bones once the meat has been carved away will provide the basis for a stew which they can let simmer during the night. While the meat roasts Algared will try to ensure the juices are gathered in order to help thicken the broth that he envisages will feed the band in the morning. As he prepares the meal Algared tries to estimate how many days food the boar should provide before any of the meat spoils and tries to ensure that the best cuts are eaten first so that they are not wasted.

Last edited by Algared on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:56 pm

“The hunter returns! And with a mighty catch too. Well done my friend.”

Kugald helps the others carry the boar into the camp. He lets Algared do the butchering.

Ggggggrrrrrrr….the young man’s stomach grumbles at the thought of ripe meat off the bone. He watches and waits anxiously like a young child waiting for presents on his birthday.

“Clear a spot for Barak.” Kugald makes room for the exhausted hunter in the lean-to facing the fire. “You must be exhausted.”

Kugald looks around at the bounty, a boar for meat and a large quantity of forage, enough for at least two, maybe as much as four days.

“Algared, don’t spare the forage for dinner. We have been marching long and hard on slim rations. Tonight, everyone gets as much as they can eat. What we eat today will not spoil or have to be carried. Make that stew so thick with goodness; it will stick to a man’s ribs. We will eat that in the morning, again, as much as we can eat.”

He looks around at the small warband.

“We will put out sentries, but we camp here for at least one more day. You have all done a tremendous job, all of you, and I am proud of you. There has been no complaining and no one has fallen behind. True warriors all! However, if you are like me, you are beginning to feel weak from hunger, hard marching and a lack of sleep. Every step is harder; every morning is earlier. We have been pushing ourselves hard.”

He sweeps his arm over the bounty.

“With the food we have, we can afford to eat well. We will get a good night’s sleep. Tomorrow, we can laze around the camp, eat, sleep, clean our gear and recover.”

“After that, hopefully, the raging river in front of us will have subsided. We will cross back into Daaslund and back to our homes and families....and the future.” He pauses, "What ever that may hold."

“So, what say you to my plan?”

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:32 pm

"It's times like this I really do wish we had more than just my cauldron." Algared wearily sighs, "But I'll tell you I'm equally glad I wasn't carrying more."

Algared prepares a pork loin for roasting on the spit. He judges the size and after a moments thought decalres, "Well Kugald it's fortunate you want a stew tonight, this loin will take at least a watch and a half to cook on the spit, so it seems we'll be having that for either breaking the fast or our mid day meal tomorrow."

Taking Kugalds advance on the matter of filling the stew, he takes a leg of pork cutting away the meat and dicing it into chunks before tossing them into the pot with the bone and the four trotters, he then sorts through the forage adding a tuber or two which he dices, some nuts, and lastly he some fruit, none the less Algared still tries to ensure that he doesn't deliberately use more of the forage than he would normally. Knowing he has prepared similar meals in the past that added fruits to flavour the pork stew says with a sigh. "Without herbs it may still be taste rather bland I'm afraid."

OOC: Having checked a few recipes the pork loin (on the bone) roasted over the fire on a spit will take 5-7 hours. While the stew should take about 40-60 mins.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:49 pm

"Yes I am very tired: carrying the great carcase for over a mile. It should feast twenty men and still have enough left over for the next day. My dragging it back to camp has left a clear trail here which even a fool could follow. It should be dealt with and disguised, but I am too tired now."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:12 am

Algared nods understanding exactly what Barak is saying, "Well, I'm sure that is a task you and Borryg will be able to remedy in the morn. But for now you rest and soon enjoy pigs trotter with a rich pork and fruit stew." Algared looks to Kugald, not wishing to usurp his cousins role. "Unless our esteemed leader feels it is a task all of us should see through for if this is a presently unguarded passage we certainly dont want any from the Ibanvaal host using it, none the less Kugald what should they do if they encounter any who have found the trail?"
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next