From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

17 Peonu 720

+5
Barak Daas
Borygg Raal
Sigrun Surenaal
Algared
GM
9 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

17 Peonu 720 Empty 17 Peonu 720

Post  GM Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:23 pm

Time: Beginning 1st watch - Early 2nd watch

The rain continues to fall all through the night along with the wind blowing steadily from the south west. Algared and Barak lay asleep in their wet clothes wrapped in the sleeping gear, their clothes eventually dry out during the night from their body heat.

The only disturbance for the other members of the warband during the night is when a log cracks and falls into the hearth fire during the early hours of the morning.

Barak and Algared are the first to rise this morning, the first rays of the morning sun creep under the awning to light their faces. It is not long before servants enter the hall and wake Kugald, Jurri, Borygg, Zeuol, Sigrun and Bjarni from their slumber. Their sleeping gear is quickly packed away and the pallets and mattresses are removed from the hall to make way for the morning meal.

The rain can still be heard falling although no where near as heavy as last night. The sky is filled with dark clouds the temperature remains cold and the wind is blowing steadily from the south west still.

Bowls are filled with water on one of the nearby tables for the warband to wash.

"Will you be staying for the meal?" a servants asks....

GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

17 Peonu 720 Empty Re: 17 Peonu 720

Post  Algared Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:47 pm

Algared rises with the first light, washes and changes into his working clothes, and prepares a meal for Barak and himself. Once their morning routine is complete he assists Barak in readying the Farvie for the days travel. he wears his fur lined travelling cloak for added warmth.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:45 pm

"Thank you for the evening meal and the dry hall. It was certainly a pleasant surprise instead of what looked like a very wet night. We must now hurry to catch the morning tide."
Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:01 pm

Hearing Sigrun's words, Borygg will also thank the servant and politely ask if they could instead have some bread or cheese to take with them.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:48 pm

Barak is cold, stiff, and damp with aching muscles from yesterday's rowing. He dosn't want ot get up let alone get the boat ready for sailing, but he assists Algared making some cold food for the band to break their fast with, and stowing the awning and readying the sweeps.

[OoC: Can we consider sailing before spening another day rowing. I am still not looking at the Menglana map, but I believe we may be able to run before the wind, or at least sail close hauled to get to our destination...]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeuol Djaon Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:41 pm

Zeuol rises with the others, feeling refreshed, but very sore from the previous days physical labour. He clearly enjoyed speaking with others last night and hearing news of the area and stories. Even sharing some himself.

The offer to break fast had the Savoryan Sorcerer ready to accept, but he caught himself and looks to Kugald for a response instead. However, Sigurn's polite decline of the offer had Zeuol offer a reasoned, but solemn nod. Borygg saved the moment asking for some bread on the journey. Whatever the outcome of the request, Zeuol turns to each person of note and thanked them for the hospitality, "It's only been our first day on the sea, but kindness to strangers we received here will sustain us for the rest of the journey."
Zeuol Djaon
Zeuol Djaon

Character sheet
Birthdate:

https://menglana.rpg-board.net/zeuol-djaon-f37/zeuol-djaon-s-cha

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:19 am

"Well the rest of you may be able to survive on a sparrow's fart, but I am for breaking my fast. Something left over from the night before that I can take will be appreciated". Assuming he gets some food he will eat it on the way down to the boat.

Once there he will note to Algared and Barak that they look like shite. "You should have slept in the hall."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:34 am

Bjarni Daasen wrote:"Well the rest of you may be able to survive on a sparrow's fart, but I am for breaking my fast. Something left over from the night before that I can take will be appreciated". Assuming he gets some food he will eat it on the way down to the boat.

Once there he will note to Algared and Barak that they look like shite. "You should have slept in the hall."

"Bah humbug." is Algared's reply.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:38 am

Bjarni Daasen wrote:"Well the rest of you may be able to survive on a sparrow's fart, but I am for breaking my fast.

Jurri sniffs his bowl curiously. "Huh, so that's what Algared's been feeding us? Bastard."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:55 am

Kugald frowns at Bjarni. "Make it quick. As Sigrun says, we don't want to miss the turning tide." He quickly rolls up his blankets and dunks his head in a bucket of water. He thankfully takes some bread and cheese. "I have to head down to the boat."

He thanks his host for the meal, company and dry hall to sleep in. "I hope I can return the favour someday, my friend." And then, he heads off down to the dock.

Upon seeing Barak and Algared he says, "Right, the others are on their way, lets get ready to sail."

As soon as everyone arrives and the ship is ready, he turns to Sigrun, "So, shall we cast off?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:19 am

Algared takes his place and waits, while he waits face becomes a mask of concentration altenated by periods of rest before eventuall a look of satisfaction settles upon him.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:24 am

Algared wrote:Algared takes his place and waits, while he waits face becomes a mask of concentration altenated by periods of rest before eventuall a look of satisfaction settles upon him.

[OoC - Bjarni has moments like that - usually on the privy Laughing ]

Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:35 am

"Aye, captain, let's go."

"Bjarni, halfsail to start, until I can judge the currents. And keep them out of my sight lines today - it's going to be hard enough in the rain!"

Once safely underway, Sigrun will find a bit of something to eat.
Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:11 am

Time: Mid 2nd watch - Mid 4th watch

The warband are given several loaves of rye bread and enough dried fruit to feed barely feed the warband for their morning meal. As you depart the thran Taarin greets you and bids you a safe journey to Pelyn.

Leaving the thran it is not long before you are feeling the damp penetrate your clothes from the rain still falling. The chill wind does little to ease your discomfort.

Arriving at the shoreline your boat is beached about halfway between the high and low water mark and with being nearly low tide the crew assemble and drag the boat into the water. Before sailing Sigrun casts her eyes skywards to gauge the weather and its effects on todays voyage, satisified that everything is well she nods to Kugald and says "With the weather as it is, it will be a cold and uncomfortable day but if the wind holds we could make Pelyn by this afternoon" with a nod in response Kugald waves his arm to indicate to the others to get the boat in the water.

Everyone gets their feet wet helping push the boat into the water. It matters little as the rain has everybody soaked through. Boarding the boat the warband find that Algared and Barak have carried out most of the preparations needed to get the boat ready for sea.

Sigrun orders the crew to the oars breifly to manoevre the boat out into the river, with the bow now pointed towards Pelyn, Sigrun orders halfsail while she checks the tides and currents, satisfied that all is well Sigrun orders the sail raised to 3/4 sail and to square it away with the wind. Cloaks are quickly put away as they only impede the crews ability to sail the vessel, tangling in ropes and getting caught on bollards and the like.

The sail quickly catches the wind and begins to move the boat through the choppy water. The spray from the bow soon covers everyone in a fine layer of sea salt as their clothes are quickly soaked through by both the rain and the sea spray. The wind keeps things cold however and caps and leather vests/jerkins are soon brought out of sea chests and put on in an effort to keep warm.

By the end of the second watch the boat has changed course and now heads north, Sigrun orders the sail to 1/2 unfurled, the sail change is soon made under the watchful eye of Bjarni. The drop in sail does not seem to slow the boat any as it continues to plow through the swell.

All through the morning Nolomar remains hidden behind a veil of dark clouds, it would be some time after high sun(or thereabouts) that the boat exits the Liem River and breaks into the Voldfjord. Few vessels have been seen all morning as the weather seems to have kept most boats ashore today, the crews taking the opportunity to repair nets and the like you suppose.

Nearing the 4th watch Sigrun leans on the steering gear and brings the bow of the boat around to a more westerly course. The sail setting remains unchanged. The boat continues to make its way steadily through the rough swell at a steady pace. Not long after the course change the rain begins to ease and soon stops.

Around mid 4th watch the Royal Town of Vulenheim can be seen in the distance. Closing the distance to the town Sigrun soon once again orders the crew to furl the sail and take to the oars. As the boat approaches the town Sigrun orders a flag to be flown from the mast (indicating that a pilot will not be required) as she guided the boat through 'the rocks' while the rest of the crew row the boat towards the dock.

Berthing the boat alongside the dock, there are 3 other vessels tied off here as well - all large traders and all are either in the process of loading cargo or unloading cargo. Longshoreman move about the docks ferrying goods to and from the bonding house in a contiuous stream of manpower. Meanwhile crews go about tending their vessels. The docks seem to be a hive of activity

With about a watch left of daylight the 'Farvie' is now tied off alongside the docks at Vulenheim.....

GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:18 pm

"Excellent piloting Sigrun. Well done crew, we are here sooner than I expected."

"Tie off the ship. As sson as the ship is secure to Bjarni's satisfaction, we are off."

"Jurri, you have been here before. I will ask you to lead us to the King's hall." While the others prepare the ship, Kugald changes into his best tunic (the not too dirty or smelly one). He leaves most of his gear in his sea chest (he got a lock in Ygesdram for 9d), wearing only his broadsword as a mark of rank.

When he is ready, he says, "I want all of you to come and be witnesses to the delivery of the Daas' message to the King."

He speaks to the officer on one of the other bigger trading vessels next to the little Favrie. "Sir, we must all head into the town. Can you watch over our vessel to make sure no one interferes with it? We won't be gone long. I would be worth a few coins to me for your trouble."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:12 pm

"Cousin this is Vuleheim a royal port to be sure but isn't it Pelyn where we were instructed to deliever the message to our king." Algared asks. "Still we may be able to aquire some spares and get the Farvie back to her sleek former glory and a second anchor wouldn't go astray."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:26 pm

17 Peonu 720 Picard-fp-ascii

*facepalm*

Kugald looks embarrassed. "Uh, you are correct cousin. Yet another reason to keep you around." He makes a forced smile. "However, good point about getting some spares while we are here. You have our available coin, why don't you see what you can find."

The captain tries to look busy to disguise his embarrassment.

"So, Sigrun, when can we cast off for Pelyn?"

Then, he goes ashore to confirm whether the king is still at Pelyn.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:03 pm

"The Farvie will be fine here. I know the harbor master well, and his son is well placed in the Vulengaard; local ships don't get pilfered," she says, smiling. "I do have some business to attend to, but I will look for you at the Warboat Inn. Bjarni knows where it is."
Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:32 pm

Kugald Daas wrote:Kugald looks embarrassed. "Uh, you are correct cousin. Yet another reason to keep you around." He makes a forced smile. "However, good point about getting some spares while we are here. You have our available coin, why don't you see what you can find."

Jurri speaks up for the benefit of those new to Vulenheim, and to distract attention from Kugald's embarrassment. "This area," he says, pointing to the area nearest the docks, "is the lower town, the home of the poorest clansmen, thralls, and unsponsored foreigners. You can find the shipwright, sailmaker, and the market here, as well as several good inns. Be careful, though; it is easy to get turned around in these alleys, and there's no shortage of thieves about." He pauses and adds: "And there's a bath house which I will gladly point out for those who need it."

"Inside the wall," he continues, pointing to the wooden wall enclosing the central portion of the settlement, "is the middle town. That's where most of the merchant clans are, and a few temples, too."

Finally, he points to the area atop the uppermost cliffs. "That's the high town, for the royal clan, and the barracks of the Vulengaard. Don't go there uninvited. You won't like it. The king may not be here, but his clan certainly is."

"Kugald, I suggest we keep our stay as brief as necessary. This is also home to my dear friends the Roving Doom, and they needn't be so restrained as they were in Ygesdram." Looking at Algared, he adds: "I also don't recommend anyone wandering about alone in the lower town."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:16 pm

"I too need to get some supplies" says Barak "Bjarni or Jurri, if you know this town well perhaps you can accompany me and help me find what I need. I've been here before but never to buy supplies."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:26 pm

Kugald nods at Jurri's suggestions, thankful for the distraction.

"Sigrun, if you do need to go into town, you should take someone with you. Borygg perhaps...? Algared, if you need to go into town for supplies I want Bjarni to go with you. No one will bother you if the sperm whale is with you. Barak, you are with me, we will go with Bjarni and Algared so you can find your supplies. I also want to find out where the King is and any local gossip about what his plans are. Jurri and Zeuol, I want you to stay with the boat."

"Let's make this visit brief."

"Sigrun, if you wish to visit the Warboat Inn yourself to gather the local gossip, that is ok, but given Jurri's previous run-ins with the Companions of Roving Doom, I would rather not have the crew spend anymore time here than absolutely necessary."

"We should sleep on the boat tonight and leave as soon as the next tide allows."

"Questions, comments, suggestions?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:42 pm

Algared, if you need to go into town for supplies I want Bjarni to go with you. No one will bother you if the sperm whale is with you.

"Aye, I never had any trouble here but as Jurri says, there are plenty of thieves about. Come Algared, lead on."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:31 pm

"Lead on? I am afraid i do not know the layout of the town well.
If I can I will try to aquire some more spares if required. Bjarni you had said we needed 1 tun to fully refit the Farvie. Yet I see we have yet to use the supplies we had for that purpose. Do you still stand by your estimate? I am sure you would all love me to fill up every once of spare space. If we do need more spares then I willl try to aquire at least another 1/2 tun. mind you if the spares are cheaper than back home i may aquire some anyway. If not then is there anything else we need besides a second anchor? Also do you want us to aquire some more arrows and javelins if possible. Our rations are barely touched as yet i dont see a need for more food stores. "

Based upon the responses Algared will then head off, his coin pouches tucked out of sight. He will wear his serge clothes and cloak along with abroadsowrd to denote his rank.

"It wont hurt us to show our rank within our clan. Kugald. It may help us avoid some unpleasantries
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:12 am

[OoC - I thought we had gotten the timber, nails and rope etc we needed back at Ygesdram - if not, then tally ho and get what we require]

"There is a shipwright not to far from here where we should be able to get anything lacking in our stores. Some javelins would not be a bad idea, as I only have my spear and am loathe to throw it at someone leaving me with nothing but my knife. As far as arrows go, my understanding is that archers never seem to have enough of them. We would have to ask around to find a weaponsmith because I don't know where one is located in this thran."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:30 am

Jurri asks Sigrun: "How long is the journey to Pelyn from here?"

"Kugald, if we are to appear before the king, this is the best place to obtain suitable clothing, and most of us could stand to make use of the sauna before we represent the Daas to the royal clan. I don't want to stay here any longer than necessary, but you may want to consider our next stop before we depart again."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next