From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 Saraju 720TR

+4
Algared
Barak Daas
Bjarni Daasen
GM
8 posters

Go down

10 Saraju 720TR Empty 10 Saraju 720TR

Post  GM Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:21 am

Time: Beginning 1st watch - Mid 2nd watch

The wind continues to come in from the north west during the night and the night is cold, but the warmth of your blankets and the hearth fire keep you comfortable.

You awake earlier than normal today - the first day of the Ibengaard festival.

The weather outside is atrocious, the morning air is cold, sleet falls as gale like winds blow in from the north putting such a chill in the air. The sky above is barely visible through the thick dark clouds that once inhabit the sky.

Once you are awoken you quickly wash and dress in your best clothes to celebrate a day of feasting and entertainment.

During the morning preparations are made to make the meadhall ready for today's festivities. In the past the feasting was usually done in the greathall of the thranaal, but with the arrival of the Storzars, the meadhall has been made ready to accomodate the extra numbers. During the morning tables and benches are moved into position, others of clan Daas begin to arrive and taking their seats amid the throng of clan Storzar they join you. Among those that have arrived to celebrate in the meadhall are those of the minor clans including several from clan Nildrom, there are the longshoreman from the docks as well as several fisherman including Jnarri (Barak's stepfather) who join the feast.

The tables are arranged in a huge square shape with an opening wide enough for several people to pass on one side of the square. Both sides of the table are soon full as everyone prepares themselves for the coming feast.

You wait anxiously in the hope that you will recieve the invitation to attend the greathall to celebrate the festival, but it soon becomes apparent that such an invitation will not be forthcoming.

Wood is placed upon the hearth fire to feed new life into the flames, soon the hall is hot as the smoke from the fire rises towards the ceiling. More lanterns are brought into the hall, meanwhile those about the hall have taken their seats and have begun to indulge in the ale that flows liberally as the jugs are passed about the tables.

The morning meal is taken and consists of goose eggs, porridge dribbled with honey, loaves of fresh rye bread and other assorted delicasies. As Nolomar continues its passage through the sky the food, ale and mead continues to arrive at the tables. A skald appears amid the crowd and begins to sing, dance and entertain those about the hall.

The mood in the hall is subdued at first but as the ale begins to flow and the skald begins to sing popular songs, those about the tables begin to join in and the by late morning there is much merriment about the hall.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

10 Saraju 720TR Empty Re: 10 Saraju 720TR

Post  Bjarni Daasen Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:08 am

Seeing as the festival is three days long, Bjarni will pace himself. He will only get uproariously drunk and overindulge.

Post by GM Bjarni sets himself into a 'steady' pace as the ale and mead continues to flow.
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:40 am

Barak feels he ought to be out hunting, but a feast is a feast, so he will join in (but he will keep his sword and knife on his belt, because everyone know when is the favourite time to attack an enemy thran). Though he will drink he won't get drunk - he has his friends to watch over and he is half expecting the Dagen to do something stupid.

Barak does his best to assist the meadhall staff; moving trestle tables, benches and barrels, helping to carry out platters of food and generally being as useful as he can, without appearing to be a thrall.

Post by GM The hall is soon setup and Jabor tells Barak to sit, this is the festival of Ibengaard, a time to eat, drink and make merry

Seeing Bjarni helping himself to generous quantities of ale, Barak says to him: "My friend, you've already alienated clans Daas and Nildron, and most of the rest of Ygresdram. We are being held responsible for your good behaviour. Since I want my silver to stay in my purse you had better not insult anyone during this feast. Clan Storzar are important allies and I want them to stay that way. Insult another Daas and I wouldn't be surprised if you find yourself sleeping in the rain. So drink, eat and be merry, but keep a civil tongue."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:36 am

Algared continues what research he requires, and avoids the feasting. he doesnt desire to face the accusations or false piety from others who indulge in the feast. Once finished Algared will instead go to the temple or a to a quiet spot, if the temple is unavailable, where he can fast and pray giving thanks to Sarajin and Brownwyn for their aid in the raid. Algared isnt concerned what others think of him, at present he feels their opinion of him couldnt sink any lower. He hopes his god will be aware of his efforts to follow the Ljarl and at present that is all Algared worries about.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:44 am

Borygg eats, drinks, and visits. He'll be quick to refill the cups of others but nurses his own, as he is keeping his eyes and ears open for anything interesting or suspicious.

Post by GM You sit and listen to the men of Storzar about their stay south, they tell of the build up of Trond but as yet there has not even been a small skirmish to speak of. They speak of a Daas man named Kugald (who dines in the greathall today) and of his leadership and bravery, many a warband he has lead to south in search of Trond activity and once they were set upon by a black bear standing more than two men high and how Kugald dispatched the bear in less than two heartbeats....

Skorri's longshoremen seem to be enjoying the festivities during the day - although they pay you and your companions no never mind.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Sigrun will unpack her heavy cloak, pull the hood tight around her head, and head outside. She will head up her hill to a position under the tree, seeking some cover from the sleet. Once there, she'll try to determine how hazardous the river looks in this weather, and how likely/long it will continue to be that way. After that brief excursion, she'll head back inside to warm up.

Post by GM Casting a pilots eye over the waterway, you can clearly see the water level has risen some (from the previous days rain no doubt) and with the increased water level the water seems to be flowing a little more briskly with more than the usual waves upon the waters surface. The river does not seem to be any more difficult to navigate, however, an unskilled ships crew might very well find the conditions more hazardous than they would be used to.

It is hard to say how long the river will continue to remain like this. You have not experienced the river like this before but your previous experiences and knowledge of such things tells you that it might be several days before the river returns to normal, barring any more rain of course.

Returning inside the hall Jabor sees you enter a smile beams across his face as he nearly runs across the hall to you. Shaking off your cloak, you hang it on a hook near the door to dry. Jabor stands near you "Ah! Sigrun I was hoping to ask a favour of you?" Jabor says but without giving you the chance to decline he continues "as you can see my poor girls are swept off their feet today, could I ask you to help them serve the table today?" Jabor holds his hands up before Sigrun can say anything "I understand that you might see this as degrading compared to piloting a boat, but it would aid me greatly and no doubt earn the friendships of my girls too. I shall offer you fair pay for your efforts of course" Jabor adds as he waits for your reply, sweat beading upon his forehead as he waits.
Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:24 am

Bjarni listen to Barak's admonition and ponders it.

"There is so much for me to learn of how you live here. In Orbaal this feast is one of boasts and combats in honour of Sarajin. Men get hurt and die, but go to feast and fight in Talagaad as sure as eggs are eggs.

I will try to do as you wish and curb my tongue, but the ale sometimes whispers things to me."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:56 am

"Feasting is good. Fighting with honour is good. The Ljarl must be followed - if you have the faith. However, insulting your host, or guest of your host, without honour only brings dishonour on you... But the day is but young, have another small ale and see what that goat broth is like."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:47 am

"Not you too Barak? I only parried and returned the favour. It brings no honour for hosts to insult guests either - perhaps those who see me as a target to vent their own shortcomings on should remember that"
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Meldun Jarlaka Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:32 am

As this is the first day of the Ilbengaad Festival, Meldun will do what is right for the day, and feast and drink to his hearts content. He will dance and join in on the songs, singing louder and louder as the day and night wear's on, not stopping until he passes out from exhaustion. While celebrating, he will make sure to visit with the Storzars and the Daas equally.
Meldun Jarlaka
Meldun Jarlaka

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:05 pm

"Of course, Jabor. I could not refuse one who has already been such a gracious host."
Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryndis Serewyn Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:12 am

Bryndis will approach the feast cautiously. Knowing that she is likely to get mixed reactions from the people she'll meet, she won't broach conversation herself, but will gladly converse with any who approach her. Bryndis will indulge in the fare that is placed before her, but will nurse her alcohol consumption so that she may keep her wits about her.

As the night progresses and alcohol and stories of bravery flow more freely, Bryndis will appear to open up in regards to conversaton (assuming no one has regarded her as a disgraceful sight).

Post by GM There seems to be no bad reactions to your attendance at the feast. A shieldmaiden can rightfully take her place alongside the male warriors to break bread and share in the festivities
Bryndis Serewyn
Bryndis Serewyn

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:20 am

The festivities continue through the day. The ale, mead and food are liberally consumed during the day. Sigrun is able to lend a hand serving the food and ale along with the other girls at the hall.

The noise in the hall is loud as the conversations abound as each person not only chats to the people sitting next to them but also to those seated across the table. There is talk of the war, talk on the quality of the food, ale and mead, there is talk of known acquaintances and families. A snippet of information is heard that is quickly related to Sigrun "a lass named Kyli was known to be from clan Surenaal but she has been wed to a man serving the Dagen from clan Danir" with this information Sigrun is called over to hear the rest of what is known.

This Kyli was such a beauty and although promised to another from Froyby, with the thran lost she was taken and wed to one of the Dagens men along with so many other woma from Froyby who have come of age or were widowed when the thran fell. Kyli would have fetched a magnificant brisdes price and anyone that could afford her must truely belong to a great family.

There is no other information that is able to be gathered about Sigrun's family during the feast.

The festivities continue on into the night. Finally after too much ale, mead and food those seated about the tables begin to ready themselves for rest. The girls work hard about the hall and Sigrun finds the work hard. There seems more to a modest serving girl than meets the eye. With the revellers now up and moving about the hall, the serving staff finally have a chance to clear tables of the scraps from the feast. Then the tables are moved and the hall made ready for the warriors to sleep.

Despite everyones best efforts they have had more from their cups than normal and all feel the effects of the ale and mead. Although only Bjarni is truely drunken beyond reason his companions have had a little more to drink than they intended. The drink, food and good company relaxing everyones mood. With the propect of attack from the Dagen diminishing with every move of Nolomar westward the warband slowly relax their guards too.

With the drunken warriors now asleep and those not so drunk nearing sleep, a weary Jabor approaches Sigrun "Girl you have done me good service this day and I appreciate your efforts, here" he says as he holds out 10d for you "thanks for you help!" and after giving Sigrun a smile he turns and heads back into the back room of the hall.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:06 am

"Thank you, Jabor. Your generosity continues!"
Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down