From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 Nuzyael 720

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

5 Nuzyael 720 Empty 5 Nuzyael 720

Post  GM Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:29 am

As the members of the warband wake they find the thran shrouded in fog. Visibility is not more than a few hundred yards at the moment. The morning air is cold against their skin as the climb out of their beds to start a new day.

The wind is blowing from the south west bring a chill from the mountains with it. What you can see of the sky through the fog appears cloudy, the clouds are white and do not appear to contain rain in them.

You each rise from bed and go about your morning routines washing the sleep from your eyes, breaking your morning fast and getting yourselves motivated for another day.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

5 Nuzyael 720 Empty Re: 5 Nuzyael 720

Post  Algared Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:33 am

Waking to the smell of warm porridge Algared washes and breaks his fast. After a day filled with action the porridge cooked by the women tastes delightful. Given the Valhaker's words of thanks and the praises of Jurri's song and tales even his half brothers cease they usual snide remarks.

Looking at the broadsword Kuglad has given him to mind, Algared is impressed with the polished sheath, which though plain now has as rich dark brown sheen as a result of Kyli's efforts. "Kyli" Algared begins, "your efforts have born much fruit, the sheath looks new, I'm sure Kugald will not even recognise it now."

Having finshed the meal and carried out the usual morning tasks Algared, then slips away to meditate for a couple of hours before visiting the wounded and offering what aid he can give with esoteric means to those willing to accept it, telling the healers and the patients that if his application is successful the waters should feel colder and the pain should lessen. Between casting he will rest for to recover from the fatigue he feels as a result.

"I really should see to making a Jorum." Algared thinks to himself, with time he knows we would like to learn how other shek-pvar store their skills, he knows this was beyond his skill to learn at the chantry, but one day when he is profiecent enought he will learn how.

Having seen to those willing to accept what aid he can give, will then seek out Kugald for training in combat,
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:57 am

Kugald is up early. His head is clear and he is well rested. He has always had a high tolerance for alcohol and never has had hangovers.

He plunges his head into a bucket of water to wake up. He breaks his fast with porridge and sausage.

The weaponcrafter arrives at Jorri's forge early. Only his master is there. He smiles. "Up at the forge early I see." "Yes, master, I wanted to get to work on the byrnie."

Kugald pulls up a stool to one of the tables. He picks up several handfuls of preprepared rings from one of the casks and small rivets from another. He positions a small iron block on the table and picks up and small hammer, punch and chisel. One by one, he cuts the poorly made rings and replaces them with new ones. He rivets each of the new rings with his hammer and punch.

When he has finished replacing the inferior rings, Kugald tries on the byrnie. It is a little tight. Kugald cuts all the rings from the armpit to waist on both sides. By this time, a couple hours have passed.

Kugald sets his bynie aside and goes in search of Algared.

He finds him outside his longhouse, broadsword in hand. Kugald smiles. "Ready for training, cousin?"

Kugald goes and picks up his own braodsword. He and Algared head out to the common. Kugald starts with the basics: how to hold a sword, basic swings, working with a shield. It is a bit different, working with someone left handed, but they get a good start. They spend the rest of the morning training.

After lunch, Kugald returns to the forge to continue working on the bynie.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:42 am

Algared and Kugald spend not more than a 1/4 watch practicing the broadsword. Before long Algared's arm begins to tire from swinging and holding the sword in his left arm.

The morning has been exhausting for the young Shek-Pvar.

Later in the afternoon while Kugald repairs his byrnie and the other members of the warband go about their business they notice that warriors are gathering in the meadows near the market. Once assembled they form up in a shieldwall and begin to spend the next 1/2 a watch practicing. They practice moving in formation for awhile before working on changing formation to the left and to the right, they soon disperse and begin to either practice spear throwing or archery before breaking off to practice with their melee weapons against each other in mock combat.

Jorri makes idle chat with Kugald during the day as he repairs his handiwork on the byrnie. He offers advice to the journeyman on tips to make his job easier when needed but most of the time Jorri lets Kugald make his own mistakes. "All the better to teach you!" Jorri adds.

Last edited by GM on Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:01 am

Hovik spends the morning checking on the wounded sailors, including Sheld. As he does, he engages them in conversation and asks them about the various places they have been. In the process, he also tries to divine where they may be sailing in the not-to-distant future. He will not explicitly express his desire to explore the great world beyond the valley, but the attentive conversationalist might guess his aspirations.

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:14 am

As Hovik goes about treating the wounded most of the sailors have returned to family clanhouses where they can be cared for by their family (it is cheaper).

The sailor with the wound to his foot shows you his wound and it now nothing more than a scab and appears to have healed nicely. So to has the wound to Jurgaan's leg.

The journeyman shipwright however, has an infection to the wound to his arm the same sailor also battles a grevious wound to his chest.

All the other wounds appear to be healing nicely for now.

While you are attending the wounded you are offered a few coin by some of the families, several families tell you they cannot afford to pay for your services but offer you kind instead. In the end you finish with 4d in coin and several loaves of bread and 1lb of various vegetables.

During you convesations with the crew you discover that their experiences vary widely. Some have only recently signed on with the 'waverider' and that this was there 5th or 6th voyage. Others in the crew have been with Sheld since he first captained the boat.

The 'waverider' has taken them from the shores of Menglana various other ports in Ivinia,to Shorkyne and to the island of Harn. Some of the sailors even teach you several words of greeting in a tongue they call Orbaalese, it strangely like Ivinian but with a few differences.

They even offer you several words of a language they call Harnic.

Last edited by GM on Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:31 am

During the afternoon as warriors gather on the common to train Algared will endeavor to take his ease to recover from the mornings efforts as he watches them train.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:57 am

GM wrote:The journeyman shipwright however, has an infection to the wound to his arm the same sailor also battles a grevious wound to his chest.

An application of Quessel is in order. I'll also encourage the family to move him to Hervold's so he can be watched more closely (if he isn't already there.)

While you are attending the wounded you are offered a few coin by some of the families, several families tell you they cannot afford to pay for your services but offer you kind instead. In the end you finish with 4d in coin and several loaves of bread and 1lb of various vegetables.

The humblest offering is treated as though it were the king's own gold.

During you convesations with the crew you discover that their experiences vary widely. Some have only recently signed on with the 'waverider' and that this was there 5th or 6th voyage. Others in the crew have been with Sheld since he first captained the boat.

The 'waverider' has taken them from the shores of Menglana various other ports in Ivinia,to Shorkyne and to the island of Harn. Some of the sailors even teach you several words of greeting in a tongue they call Orbaalese, it strangely like Ivinian but with a few differences.

They even offer you several words of a language they call Harnic.

(Sigh.) There is so much in the world to see . . .

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:59 am

Thorin wrote:
Thorin will select the best unclaimed shield, and will ask Kugald about finding a mail byrnie also.

https://menglana.rpg-board.net/nuzyeal-tr720-f11/4-nuzyeal-720-t89-105.htm#719

GM wrote:
"A mail byrnie for Thorin, he should already have one, he was wearing one earlier." Jorri pauses for a moment then continues "The Daas provides for his huscarls and I don't think young Thorin has the wealth yet to purchase his own."

GM wrote:
You are normally equipped while patrolling the thran with the following:
a roundshield
a spear
a plate halfhelm
a quilt cowl and gambeson and
a mail byrnie

https://menglana.rpg-board.net/thorin-ulfhednar-f2/thorins-stats-and-background-updated-t4.htm#10

OOC: I took Don's request at face value...since it is obvious I would have seen Thorin's mail byrnie many times over the last few days, I guess we can ignore this interchange...

Don, check your character sheet first! You are richer than you think!

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:25 am

During the day you notice another 12-15 warriors enter the thran and after sending a delegation to the thran set up their camp on the meadow as well.

News travels through the thran that during the morning the enemy warrior E3 has died of his chest wound. Later that day towards evening despite the best efforst of Hovik, Hervold and Algared the sailor S1 dies of his serious hand wound, and like the Ibanvaal warrior he never really seemed to recover from his wound.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:10 am

Later that afternoon after completing one side of the byrnie, Kugald goes in search of his friends. He is hungry and could use a tankard of mead. He wants to talk to them about what they think the Jarl has in store for them next.

"Thorin, Algared, we need to find Hovik, Neirin and Jurri and get something to eat! I am famished. I could eat haunch of ham myself!"

He slaps Algared up side the left arm. "Feeling a little stiff and sore cousin? Don't worry, tomorrow's training session will hurt even more!" He laughs and offers him a mead...to his right hand.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:09 am

You find Jurri sitting near the runestone, playing his lyre and working on some new poetry. He's been at it for hours and if the suggestion of food is made, he'll gladly accompany his friends to the meadhall.

He's been enjoying a quiet morning to himself, fully expecting that events will catch up to him soon enough.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:42 am

As Kugald slaps his left arm, Algared says "Stiff? No, there is no stiffness but it still feels as though my arm has no strength in it."

The trio continue their walk seeking their companions, finally spotting Jurri seated near the runestone. Jurri, joins eager to find something to eat and drink and the search for Neirin and Hovik continues.

Algared thinks about his conversations with Hovik and the dedication the healer has shown to the wounded, "Did you hear two of the wounded, one of the war-thralls and the Sailor who almost lost his hand has died, the sailor's injury had seemed to improve some but he was called to Sarajin's feast. I'll wager we'll now find Hovik at the bedside of the more seriously wounded or making the rounds. For him, to lose two patients will be like loosing a battle, he'll not want to loose another."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:50 am

You find Hovik sitting in a warm spot against a wall. Beside him is his knapsack and satchel, a small sack, and his cloak all wrapped in a bundle. He looks a little down, but perhaps less than you expect. "Food? No, I'm fine. I have some carrots here."

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:06 pm

Noticing Hovik's bundles Algared says, "You planning to run away,' the young Shek P'var feels he knows how the healer feels. The feeling of being ineffectual, feeling he could have , should have done more. Algared knows he felt the same way himself. Yet Hovik has no cause to feel the way he does. he worked continuously after the dbattle. Working hard to save the lives of the wounded. Algared knew he was exhausted himself before the feast, and had seen the haggared look on Hovik's face, he was ready to collapse. Yes it is a tragedy that two men died, gut there were more grevious wounds among the wounded that had demanded his attention. Algared recalled the releaif he felf seeing the wound on the sailors wrist improve slightly as he successfully cast, hoping that his efforts would help bring about a swift recovery and his own despair at hearing he had died a watch later.

Master Hervold was even confident that there was nothing else that could be done for the wounded who had died. Algared recalled how Hovik had looked in the inn, and while he may have been in bed with three girls he had certainly appeared to be more asleep than actively pursuing pleasure.

"You know Hovik, I doubt you could have done more to save them, without loosing those others with more seruious wounds even master Hervold was comfortable with their progress and you were dead on your feet by the time we returned to the Thran. That more have mot died is only a result of your skill. The Ljarl would have you do what you can, you have done that. To flee as it appears you intend, will not serve the Ljarl, nor bring back those who have passed. Come my friend we your companians need you and we must also see the Daas.'

Looking at Kugald, Algared continues, "Cousin you said we must speak to the Daas as soon as possible, we should do so now if he has time to see us and hear of Hovik's situation. As I said in private cousin, he deserves to be rewarded for his efforts and I will surrender my share of the booty to ensure he recieves it. The longer we wait however the greater may be the problems that arise.'

Last edited by Algared on Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:22 pm

"Algared speaks wisely, Hovik. You have saved many with your skill with medicine. Those who died, it was their time. Sarajin called them to his side. When he decides to call a soul to him, no one can stop him and none should they try. It is the greatest of honors to be called to his side as a result of wounds earned honorably in battle. Better death in battle than the long, slow creep to old age."

"I agree, it is time we spoke to the Daas, both for Hovik's reward and to find out what task he sets for us next."

They find the remaining members of the war band and proceed to the great hall to seek an audience with the Jarl.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:32 pm

Hovik looks at you with a confused expression. Then he looks at his belongings and back to you. "Oh! I'm not going anywhere. Hervold and I just . . . aren't seeing eye-to-eye right now."

"That reminds me. You need to show me that magic you used, Algared. The man that died with a hand wound is the one you cast the spell on. I need to know how your magic works."

Hovik pauses for a moment, then realizes that if he is going to have this conversation with Algared he needs to go with them, picks up his stuff and joins the group.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:50 pm

OOC: You can never go wrong with a spare hauberk! LOL

Thorin joins the others, bright eyed, and eager to see what adventures the Daas has in store for them next.
As he waits, he hones his blade with a stone, testing its edge on his thumb, avoiding Hoviks disapproving stare.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:54 pm

Thorin Ulfhednar wrote:As he waits, he hones his blade with a stone, testing its edge on his thumb, avoiding Hoviks disapproving stare.

"Feh. It's not sharp unless you can shave with it." And with a grin Hovik shows Thorin his hairless forearms.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:58 pm

In response, Thorin grins, lifts his kilt and shows his hairless.......

"Feh! Shaving seems a wasteful enterprise and dulls a good blade. Although I wouldnt mind shaving a few more Ibanvaalers."
Apparently Satisfied, he sheaths his blade.
"Lets see what the Daas has in store."

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:10 am

As the group walks towards the greathall Algared speaks quietly with Hovik, "Actcually I used the skill on all of the wounded in hervold's care. Several responded well and their wounds seemed to heal well including the sailor who died, his hand appeared heal some. I had hoped to have similar success with the Journeyman shipwright, but feel I was beginning tire and was unsucessful. As to teaching you how to perform that skill, I merely washed the the wound in cold water. My skill merely caused the waters to grow colder. I am however unable to teach you how to employ the skill for I have neither the skill or equipment to enable me to teach you even if I was a grand master and allowed to take an apprentice."

As Hovik looks downcast, Algared continues, 'Trust me my friend your skills are the greater you were able to act and function well well into a second watch giving the same care to the last as to your first patient, I was unable to do more, after half a watch at most. At best I will only ever be able be assist or enhance the skills of others."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:34 am

Hovik is not at all downcast. Your words of encouragement don't seem to register with him at all.

Instead, he looks like a man trying to solve a puzzle. "I'd love to learn the art, but I'm sure that would take more time than I have - more time and more money! But I do want to understand what you are doing. You can't have two physicians that don't know what the other is prescribing." So Hovik probes Algared on the topic. He's not content with just, "the water gets cold". He wants to know why it gets cold. And whether the forces that make the water cold might also have other effects.

And, during a break in the conversation, "And, so, Algared. Ummm, you have a shed alongside your house, right?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:37 pm

In seeking to answer Hovik’s questions Algared begins a long and drawn out rather academic philosophical discussion concerning the very frabric of matter. ‘All things, whether seen felt or experienced have an etheral or spiriatual component. Some refer o this as ‘The All’ for it encompases all things, and even the divine are said by some to reside and function primarily within its bounds. This etheral stuff is linked to the elements, my order uses the etheral that is closest to water. As such we are better able to draw on the the unseen element of water.’ Algared continues seeking to explain the unseen elements, “in short my friend all of kethira is bount and held together by theese ethera parts which some would call the all, and this seems true for although there are six distinct etheral parts there are thouse who manage to manipulate all. My order uses the etheral form of water and thus can combine it with the more solid form we feel when it rains or waves break upon the shore. It is this combination of the unseen that I suppose causes the waters to grow colder. As to healing well, as you yourself explained the cold waters are best for cleansing a wound. As the waters are cooled and cause the patient to feel less pain it thus promotes healing." Algared shrugs, “why it assists healing, I cannot say for certain, I just know it works, I would guess that some how the mundane and etheral combine in some way the mundane using etheral, which is the stuff of life to assist in the healing. that is why at times a wound will appear to heal faster. I believe that regarldess of the philosophical views of others, the Sarajin has granted some gifts at arms and other gifts in healing or crafts and still others the ability ot use the unseen matter. We all thus serve Sarajin and follow the Ljarl according to the gifts we receive and give thanks to him striving to do our best to use those gifts to honour him.

My friend you say you and Herold are not seeing eye to eye. If you see yourself the better healer, would you desert your patients because you had a falling out. Hovik you are too harsh opon Hervold and upon youself, for each patient had been treated, each patient settled or taken to their clan houses. There are some grevious wounds still among the wounded and one man cannot be at every bed side every hour of the night. But even if he could and even if you hold master Hervold at fault and disagree on his techniques I will give you wisdom from one of the Viran of my order “Do not burn your bridges lest you have no retreat”

Algared continues the discussion drifting back to the phisosophical implications and different techniques and methods touching upon the meaning of life until he finds himsef with his companions at the greathall, whereupon he looks up and seeing where he is seems surprised.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:55 pm

Hovik listens attentively to the explanation of magic, and asks lots of possibly stupid sounding questions.

As for Hervold, "It's not a matter of who's the better healer. He's perfectly competent. We just don't have the same . . . priorities. Let's just say that if it had been Kugald on his deathbed instead of an Ibanvaaler, Hervold wouldn't have been so adamant about me attending a ridiculous warriors' feast. But I really don't want to talk about it. When I'm gone Hervold will still be here, and he'll need the trust and respect of the thran. There is no profit for anyone in me carping behind his back."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:57 pm

The group has been unable to locate Neirin all morning, but asking Clan Grebel reveals that he was summoned to the Daas earlier in the day, and he is likely still at the clanhouse.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next