From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

28 Nuzyael 720

+2
Algared
GM
6 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

28 Nuzyael 720 - Page 5 Empty Re: 28 Nuzyael 720

Post  Algared Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:58 pm

"I am more prone to think we are preventing the ibanvaal or our our host from using it. For our part the smallest craft that suits our purpose would be best. It will be easier to hide and should the Daas have need of boats the would suit his needs better. Once se have a boat I would recomend we row so to ensure we are out of sight by dawn. W know somewhere between Froyby and Froyaheim the river was staked to stop the reief of Froyby a few years ago, but where I cannot say. Though I think had we collected the boats today and taken them to Froby they would have added the Daas plans more. Enabling him to move more swiftly, for our purposes a raft would give a lower silouette I imagine and be easier to hide." Algared says as he finds a place to rest with the others out of sightuntil they move to procure a boat.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:29 pm

"In my opinion we don't want a raft. From the shore we want to look like misplaced fishermen, not a group of spies attempting to hide." says Barak "With a boat we have somewhere to hide our gear and weapons from sight. Plus if we are identified we'd like to be shot at from the bank, with a boat you can duck down behind the gunwales and gain protection, with a raft you are exposed. Lasty, we may have to stay on the vessel all they way home - I want to be in a 'seaworthy' one, not something which might fall to bits."

"As for leaving the thran undetected I suggest pushing off in to the current and letting it carry us away. If we attempt to row with makeshift oars in the middle of the night we'll make a lot of noise."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:28 am

Time: Mid 5th watch

Retracing your steps you drop back down behind the crest and making your way towards a small stand of trees off to the right about one hundred yards you set your gear down.

The dark clouds continue to gather and soon they obscure most of the evening sky.

Your attempts to fashion poles seem to be sucessful, however, your attempts to fashion paddles are less so. You are able to arm yourselves with a paddle (of sorts) each.

When this is done the sky is almost black and visibility is now only a hundred feet or so.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:44 am

ooc: Raft or boat, something tells me we're not likely to be seen from shore in the dark.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:43 am

Once night has fallen, we head off for the shoreline to find a boat. We are looking for one big enough for all of us. Since we stayed in Lihea for one night, we should have a fair idea of where the boats are kept.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:52 am

Time: Mid 5th watch to Beginning 6th watch.

You start your approach towards the thran once darkness has fallen. With Yael not visible at all and with the clouds obscuring any ambient light your approach towards the thran is slow and at time noisy as you stumble across fields and pastures.

The light from the thran gives you warband a good reference point to keep your bearings and soo you find yourselves still some distance from the thran but along the river bank.

Nearing the thran itself you can see two men visible under a lantern standing a watch in the market place they are quite visible to you from your vantage point. It is probable that trying to take a boat will not go undetected.

You are able to approach within 50 yards or so of the market place. Your warband will have no problems getting to the docks without the guards noticing you.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:23 am

Jurri will be careful to pick up a small stone (no larger than fist-sized). If needed, he'll throw it in the opposite direction to draw the watch men's attention away from the docks.

For now, he'll follow behind the more stealthy members of the group (Borygg and Barak?).

(Throwing ML81. If he throws, he'll aim at something large - like a barn.)
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:10 pm

[OoC: IIRC Barak visited the fishing boats last time he was here, so I presume he knows where they are]

Barak makes his way down to where the fishing boats are. He feels a little silly sneaking around in a friendly thran carry a large pole. When he gets to the boats he uses his seamanship and shipwright skills and his family background knowledge to select a well maintained fishing boat of the right size. He'll check it to make sure it has a sail, rigging, mast, oars etc (if applicable). He'll then look in the storage lockers/chest of the other boats to see what he can scavenge. In Barak's expererience most boats, even those used for day tripping, have some essential bits and pieces tucked away: hard tack, lanterns, oil, tools, nets, etc. He takes what he needs to ensure the boat is well supplied and self sufficient.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:53 am

Does Barak approach the docks before or after Jurri has thrown a rock?

What are the rest of the warband up to while Barak approaches the docks and searches for a suitable boat?
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:01 am

(Just to clarify, Jurri's only going to throw the rock if it becomes necessary to distract the guards.)

Post by GM Understood
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:19 am

Kugald follows along after Barak and gestures for the other members of the band to join them. He is trying to be as quiet as possible. Since Barak has been to the docks, Kugald follows his lead.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:31 am

You make your way down to the docks and it appears as though you have gone unnoticed thus far.

As Barak begins his search for a boat, things take a turn for the worse when you hear a voice call out from the market square "Halt, who goes there!"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:31 am

Jurri will look in the direction of the voice, ready with the rock. Does it appear that the watchman has seen Barak, all of us, or something/someone else?

Oh, and how far away is he, roughly?
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:44 am

Looking in the direction of the guardsman, they are walking towards your general direction and are perhaps 100'-200' away.

It is hard for you to say with certainty that they are looking in your direction but it is highly likely!
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:52 am

Okay then, Jurri will throw the rock in the direction of a wall/building/etc. to one side of them and (ideally) behind them. He's not worried about accuracy as long as he hits something that will make noise.

As soon as he's done so, he will drop back down into a crouch to present less of a recognizably human profile.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:29 am

Time: Start of the 6th watch

The guardsmen hear the clatter of the rock against the timber wall somewhere off to their right. They both pause for a moment in the glow of the lantern as they can be seen checking the area towards the dock and then the area off to their right. The guard on the left begins to back track slowly towards the thranhold while the other turns and makes off into the darkness towards the thranhold at his best speed.

Meanwhile the guardsmen who has turned and retreated begins to sound the alarm.

"Intruders, Intruders!!!" he calls as he readies his shield and lowers his spear into a fighting stance...
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:05 am

In a hushed whisper, Kugald calls out to Barak, "Let's pick a boat and go!" These are our people in the thranhold and we don't want to end up fighting them.

"Everyone, gather round the boat Barak has chosen and help us drag it into the water."

Kugald grabs the gunnels of the boat Barak has chosen, drops this spear and shield inside and starts to heave it down towards the water.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:21 am

Time: Start of the 6th watch

The lone guard stands his ground near towards the edge of the market square near the docks. He is still about 100'-200' away but visible under the light from the lantern.

Doors from the clanhouses nearby begin to open and figures silouhetted by hearth fires can be seen brandishing weapons. Some have exited their buildings carrying weapons in one hand and a lantern in the other.

Your warband quickly board the boat you have chosen and in quick time the boat is released from it's moorings and with everyone aboard it heads out into the darkness of the river beyond.

You are only tens of yards out into the river as you can see men beginning to gather around the market square, there lights shining brighter.

With the number of men around 50 or so gathered in the market square they begin to fan out and begin a search of the area. Men can be seen heading towards the docks, while others seem to be heading out to where Jurri threw his rock.

It soom becomes apparent that the darkness has helped conceal your prescence so close to the shoreline as you continue to drift down river. You are soon surrounded by darkness the only aid to navigation right now are the lanterns back on shore.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:33 am

With things beginning to settle down now that you are drifting you get your first close look at your craft.

Your vessel is in the vicinity of 15'-18' in length, with 2 oars per side and a mast towards the centre of the vessels hull. A tiller is located at the stern on the starboard side.

What you can only presume at this stage is a sail, folded and stored along the port side of the hull. An anchor is visible towards the bow of the vessel and there are various lengths of rope and other sailing tools and utensils stored about the boat.

There are two lockers aboard the vessel both are tied shut using short lengths of rope.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:41 am

As the boat drifts with the river, Algared takes the tiller ready if need to apply presure and turn the boat. He watches the bank trying to use any lights on the sure to estimate the distance they will be driftiing. (piloting skill). Once the boat appears to have drifted further river Algared whispers,

"Well Kugald, one advantage the Dass has as they withdraw is the numbers of the host will increase. It seemed there were at least 50 or more back there. I think though we should avoid trying to travell too far in the dark we cannot see any obstacles in our path, I would suggest that two of us also try get some sleep. She looks like she'd need 3 or 4 crew per watch. Would you agree Barak? I'm thinking we have 2 watches you said you have some skill as a shipwright and are probably so if you lead head up the up a watch with Borygg and Vidar while Jurri kugald and I form the other watch that way at least we can try get some rest."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:54 pm

Kugald peers out into the darkness, trying to get his bearings. He is pleased Algared has taken the tiller, but concerned they might run into something in the dark. He moves to the bow with one of the long poles they cut. He takes up a position were he can see, as well as is possible in the dark night. He holds the pole ready to fend off the shore or logs and the like. He whispers a quick prayer to Sarajin.

"I agree, we shouldn't try to go too far in the dark. We are courting disaster if we hit something in the blackness. Can you steer us towards the shore?"

[OOC: What is the shoreline of the river like? Woods right down to the shore? Rocky? Sandy? Is there a rope and anchor? How fast is the river travelling?]

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:50 pm

"Well that went better than I expected" says Barak quietly

To Algarad: "If my memory is right the Daas left one hundred men there. And yes I have some skill in shipwriting, if you want me to put a hole in the boat then I am your man. Having said that, I suspect I am the only one here who has regularly been in a small fishing boat like this - I've been doing since I was five. I can easily keep it on course on a river like this, though it is running quite fast with the spring meltwater."

To Kugald: "If you are right about the stakes in the river then I don't want to hit them in this total darkness. It will probably sink the boat if we're going at full speed. However, they must be a long way down river. I thought the whole idea was to use the element of suprise to get past the enemy unseen. The best way to do that it probably to grab our chance whilst we have it. Though I admit, I hate the idea of travelling down a river I've never navigated before when I can hardly see what is ahead. But if we stick with the middle of the stream the currents should take us away from any rocks and bends."

[OoC: Barak is not wearing his armour on the boat, nor will he. It is in the sack he scavenged to hold it]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:50 pm

As Kugald moves to the bow, Algared eases the tiller over so that as the boat drifts down river it moves towards the far side of the channel in order to avoide the snags more likely but keeping the boat as far from the inhabited riverbank as posible. Algared keeps watch for signs of Froby and other lights they may see to help fix their position and ascertain the truth to the claims the Ibanvaal host marches toward the Daas.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:13 am

Time: Early 6th watch.

The darkness impedes everything you try to do, from the tiller Algared can barely discern Kugald at the bow in the blackness. The boat continues to drift downriver it's speed impossible to determine, however, the lights behind you begin to fade and you see the silouhettes of trees between you and the lights.

The light soon fades and Algared turns the tiller to bring the boat further out into the river. The boat lurches as the starboard beam lowers closer to the water, the boat remains upright. The darkness again making his efforts impossible to gauge. Holding the tiller over for what you deem a suitable time you return the tiller amidship.

Kugald continues to use a pole to check the waters in front of him. He is able to determine that the depth of the water has increased since the course change as he is no longer able to feel the bottom of the river bed.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:44 pm

Time: Early 6th watch - Mid 6th watch

You have been sailing downstream for about a short about a 1/4 watch or so when through the silence of the night, you catch on the breath of the wind a sound that you are unable to place. The rest of the warband are alerted and all are straining to catch the sound. As the moments pass the sound begins to get louder and louder and soon the sound is identified as the sounds of oars hitting the water. The rythmic slap as the wood strikes the water is known by all of you.

Remaining motionless, the darkness is impenetrable but the sound slowly increases and is coming from the port side ahead of you and in due time the sound fades to the stern.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next