From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

28 Nuzyael 720

+2
Algared
GM
6 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

28 Nuzyael 720 - Page 4 Empty Re: 28 Nuzyael 720

Post  Kugald Daas Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:33 pm

Kugald returns to the clanhouse. He finds Barak cleaning his gear.

"So, most men didn't want to talk to a cousin of the Jarl, I had to swear an oath of secrecy not to reveal who held what opinions. Even then, many refused to talk."

"The common points included:

- We cannot stand against four thousand
- Hunger will strike us first if we remain here
- The majority seem to be in favor of a withdrawal
- Most of those men think going back the way we came is the best option
- The next most talked option is to cross the river and return to Ygesdram along the road on the western side of the river
- The least favored options are to stay here or continue the march north"

"So, I think the men will favor returning home over the mountains."

"But, let's wait and hear what the others have to say."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:33 pm

When he returns, Jurri adds:

"All I got were boasts; nothing of any value."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:57 pm

"I could see the shame in their eyes as they found the best way to hide their preferences: to retreat, go home, and defend their own. No one wants to tell a priest such opinions, but truth is truth."

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Borygg returns to the clanhold. Seeing Kugald and Jurri, he asks what they have heard. Hearing Kugald's report, Borygg replies that this is essentially the same thing he heard.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:04 pm

"I will wait and see what Algared has to say, but I think it will probably be the same."

"I am more and more convinced that Jurri's idea is the way for us to go. We let the army retreat, while we scout out the Ibanvaalese strength and positions and find out what has become of the Storzar and his army."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:45 am

"I agree" says Barak "that we can scout around and find out what is happening with the armies, but the chances are that sooner or later we'll be caught and hung as spies. If we want to live we'll have to be cleverer than that. One thing is for certain, if we march on Froyaheim we will be walking in to the ice bear's mouth - and we should expect to get our heads bitten off. We won't even be able to pretend to be locals - the prince's man will recognise us from the feast and reveal us as who we really are."

"The prince's delegates have done their job well. Disheartened both the jarl and his men. We retreat with our tails between our legs. If I return to Menglana I have a mind to leave Daaslund for good. It would be better than waiting to die."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:52 am

So the warband attempt to gather information to give the Daas later tonight.

Jurri finds his time taken up with performing songs and telling stories. As he starts he soon finds that a crowd begins to gather and he seems to be drawing men from all over the thran.

As the crowd increases Kugald, Borygg and Vidar can see each other amid the growing audience. Kugald is the first to leave and make his way back to the clanhouse, followed by Borygg and finally Vidar.

This continues for some time, as Jurri attempts to bring his performance to a quick end he claims a dry throat but before he can break out from the gathered crowd an ale is brought out and placed in his hand and so his performance continues.

It is not until you have performed several songs including some requests and told a few stories that the crowd seems happy with what you have given and begins to disperse.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:10 pm

Algared returns to the clanhouse, feeling frustrated that his efforts were frustrated. seeing he is the last to arrive he sits at the table with a sigh. "Well being the Jarls Cousin and I'm sure being the Son of the Skorri did me no favours today, I suppose having been so vocal in support at the Thing for ourt Jarl also helped for all I earned me a wall of silence. When ever I drew near the men fell silent. I think none look forward to facing so many. Given the way they protested their loyalty and willingness to do all the Jarl asked. So How did the rest of you fare?' Algared listens as the results of the fact finding mission are carried out.

"There are more advantages of the retreat first the wounded will have gained a little more time to heal. Second we can still scorch the earch and destroy the defences as we go. Let them rebuild if we must. Third if the Storzers army is in the field having led his main host north to try draw the foe away and so enable success for our attack so we in forcing them to follow us buy time once more for the Storzer's forces to engage. last any scouts will be able to move to the east letting the host pass and the head north. If the army is retreating then it's possible that they will not expect scouts to be moving forwards.. Also if we take all the boats I wonder if after we retreated a force could use the boats and follow the river either attacking or causing grief on the western banks, having drawn their host onwards." Algared shrugs

"These are just my thoughts and I have no idea what the men are feeling but from what youisay it sounds much like what Jonaar spoke of. But its true unless Sarajin sends a miracle we would likely not fare well if indeed a force of 4000 is headed our way. Sarajin gifted me with my abilities, and I wish I was better skilled and better able to assist even is it merely helped reduce the wounded but Hervold and I are not on speaking terms so I cannot see that there is much I can do.

Shame we just didn't shoot those bastards bead then eh Barak?"
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:01 pm

Once Algared reports in, Kugald has the reports from everyone. Although it is still early, he decides there is no time like the present.

"I am going to see the Jarl if I can."

He picks up his basic gear and heads up to the great hall. When he gets there, he seeks out the Daas. He bows politely and says, "I have tidings milord."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:07 am

You are freely admitted into the hall.

When you enter you find Cunate in conversation with Thaldirs, Erdrick and Kelsi Grebel. They all look up when you enter the hall. "Ah Kugald, come join me"

Cunate quickly dismisses Erdrick and Kelsi and after your greeting invites you to sit with him. As you approach you walk past the smouldering hearth fire and notice that a thin broth sits above the fire simmering away. It does not look like the thick pottage's that were had several days ago.

Once you have taken your seat Cunate says "Well what news?"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:19 am

Kugald nods in thanks to the invitation and takes a seat.

"My friends and I have spent the afternoon talking to members of your army. It was not easy, most of the men were uncomfortable saying the truth, they preferred to just repeat how loyal they are. And they are loyal, but they are also scared and realistic."

"Each of my band spoke to different men, but the themes were the same."

"One, 600 can not stand against 4000 in open combat."

"Two, we will starve if we stay here."

"Three, the majority favour withdrawal. Most of those who favour this option believe we should go back the way we came."

"Four, the next largest group favour crossing the river and trying to make for Ygesdram along the west bank of the river."

"Five, only a very few support staying here or marching north."

"I have talked with my friends. They feel the same, but we think that even if we withdraw, we need to know what has happened. If you do choose to withdraw, then we would like to volunteer to scout downriver to determine the lay of the land. There are many questions that need answering. Is there an army of 4000 marching toward us? Has Froyaheim really fallen so quickly? Was the Storzar's army destroyed in the field? If not, are they still fighting the Dagen? And also, what has happen to your sister and sons, my cousins?"

"Even if you withdraw successfully to Ygesdram, you will need to know where we stand with the Ibanvaalese army, for it appears we are next."

Kugald sits back to await the Daas' comments.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:27 am

The Daas listens intently as you speak.

"It is as I thought" Cunate answers "I think perhaps we have done all we could for the Storzar and now it is time for us to retire" the Daas pauses as he takes a drink from the tankard on the table next to him. "You have done a good job today, at least now when we gather tomorrow I will have a better understanding of what the men will wish"

Turning to Thaldirs, the Daas says "Do you think we could leave here early tomorrow afternoon and make Lihea by nightfall?" Thaldirs ponders the question for a moment before replying "We should, we may need to push the pace a little but not to much"

Cunate listens to the plans you have for your small warband "Mmm" is all he says at first.

"I fear that you might lose more than there is to be gained from such a venture" the Daas says "but I have seen that look on your face before" Cunate adds "I shall draft a letter for you should you 'bump' into the Storzar, letting him know that we still stand with him in this fight"

The Daas calls for a quill and some parchment and soon begins to draft a letter.

As you watch him start to write you are only able to catch a few quick glances at the what is written. The letter opens with 'Erling my sword brother and rightful Jarl of Froyaheim Thaldirs seems to be watching you as you sit and wait for the letter.

Thaldirs says to you "So having fun yet?" his tone indicates that it is meant more in jest than anything else and he seems to be trying to occupy you as the Daas finishes the letter (although Thaldirs does not seem to mind to much that you are glancing at Cunate and the letter)

Hoping this letter finds you in good spirits and in good health....

We have come as far as we can and do to the Ibanvaal marching against us in numbers we are forced to retire back to Ygesdram....

Soon the Daas has signed the letter and picking it up he begins to wave is slowly to dry the ink and so your chance to read what else was written is gone as the Daas folds the parchment and seals it with some wax from a nearby candle as he uses the crest on a ring to impress his crest into the seal.

"Here" the Daas says as he hands you the letter. "Take this with you and present it to him should you find him" then he adds "When do you plan on leaving?"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:53 pm

Kugald is saddened that he must deliver such depressing news to Cunate, but pleased that the Jarl is still positive and not ready to give up just yet.

GM wrote:
Thaldirs says to you "So having fun yet?" his tone indicates that it is meant more in jest than anything else and he seems to be trying to occupy you as the Daas finishes the letter (although Thaldirs does not seem to mind to much that you are glancing at Cunate and the letter)
"Well...yes...and no. I would be having more fun if the Ibanvaalese were running back home with their tails between their legs, but yes...this is more exciting than pounding on an anvil all day. However, I can't help thinking of my mother and sister in Ygesdram. If we don't defeat this army, they will be vulnerable. So no, it is not more fun. Does that make any sense?"

When the Daas finishes the letter, Kugald takes it with both hands and tucks it inside his tunic.

"Thank you, cousin."

"I will speak to my friends. I think we will leave as soon as possible. The Ibanvaalese army is big, therefore it moves slowly. If we move quickly, we can cover more ground before we have to get around them."

Kugald stands. He bows deeply. And then, he puts his hand on his heart...and over the letter to the Storzar.

"My lord, I vow to almighty Sarajin on my ljarl that I will do everything in my power to find out the fate of Froyaheim, the Storzar and our clan members. But most importantly, we will get useful information and bring it to you in Ygesdram. On behalf of my friends, I hope this will help in turning the tide at the next battle."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:02 pm

As you take the letter from Cunate and place it in your tunic there is a hint of sadness on his face.

"I do not doubt your intentions, now take care on your journey and I will see you and your companions when you return to Ygesdram" the Daas offers his hand in farewell before allowing you to leave the hall.

As you make your way towards the hall doorway Thaldirs stops you and also offers you his hand "I would like to add my own good wishes to that of your cousin. Keep you and your companions safe and I too look forward to seeing you all back safe in Ygesdram" a hint of sadness crosses his face for a moment.

With that Thaldirs ushers you out of the hall...
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:50 pm

[OoC: Well that is two people who don't think they'll be seeing kugald alive again.]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:12 pm

Kugald returns from his meeting with the Daas somewhat surprised by the finality of the farewells from Cunate and Thaldirs. He returns to the clan house. The weaponcrafter tells the assembled members of the band what happened in the meeting.

"The Daas has approved our plan to scout out the lower Froya River valley."

"So, this is all the food we have?" Looking at the three days supply Algared has managed to scrape up. "We will need to find more along the way," stating the obvious.

"Here is my proposed plan: we leave as soon as we are ready; we head south…upriver…to confuse any spies in our midst; when we reach Lihea and scrounge up a boat and whatever extra food we can find; tonight, we drift down the Froya River as quietly as we can, no sails or oars; we try and make landfall tomorrow morning, somewhere near Onstad, perhaps in the small river between Onstad and Jeilyn."

"Once we make landfall, we find a spot with good cover where we can watch the road and count how large the Ibanvaalese army really is."

"After the army marches south to Froyby, we return to the boat and again drift downriver at night, aiming to make landfall somewhere between Onstad and Froyaheim. We leave the boat behind, well hidden, and make our way on foot to within sight of Froyaheim. There, we see what we can see and try and find out from the locals what happened."

"Depending on what we find out, we make our plan from there. If we find out everything we need to know, we can always return to the boat and use it to cross the river and then make our way home, skirting the villages on the west side of the river until we are in our home territory."

"Does anyone have any better ideas? Any suggestions for things I have forgotten? Any concerns with the plan?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:40 pm

"The plan seems reasonable cousin," Algared says "though it may pay us to go fishing this arfternoon or hunting. If we get a large beast then thats a little extra we can provide the host. The gods know they will also need what ever extra we can provide. I also suggest we endeavour again to procure a physicians kit, and see to all our equipment."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:00 am

"I don't think you will find anything worthwhile to hunt this close to our host - we will be scaring away game for miles around. Better to travel to this thran that Kugald speaks of, and then see what we can hunt there. Other than that, we may chance lucky and spot something to hunt whilst we are on route - perhaps some wondering domestic animals. Or we can seize whatever the thran's stockmen have managed to salvage from our earlier devestations. We may also be able to capture wildfowl on the river - especially is we can stalk them whilst they are asleep on small islands on the river, if they exist, at night."

"I don't think you will find a physician's kit - and you will probably just anger and distance yourself from our compatriots even further if you try."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:59 pm

You spend some time organising your gear ready for your depature. There is perhaps 1/2 a watch of daylight left as you leave the clanhouse behind you, closing the door as you leave. The acitivity around the thranhold compounds appears normal, men seem to be going about their everyday business and none seem to pay you any particular attention when leave.

A quick scan of the skies shows some dark clouds beginning to form in the western sky. "We might get wet tonight" Kugald says to no one in particular as Barak replies "Nah, not tonight, perhaps tomorrow morning though"

You leave the thranhold through the gatehouse and there the guards give your warband a nod as you leave.

Turning south you follow the trail towards Lihea....
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:10 pm

As the small band leaves the thranhold, Kugald turns to Barak, "Cousin, since you are our best scout, can you please lag behind a little and watch to see if anyone follows us? We will wait for you a mile up the road."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:43 pm

Barak accidently drops his spears, and trips over them as they clutter to his feet. Whilst bending over to pick them up his knapsack falls to the ground.

"Go on I'll catch you up" he says.

Barak takes some time to gather up his possessions, check everything is where is should be and them lifting it all back in to his carrying position. During much of this time he is incidently facing towards the thran.

Once he is ready he sets up off the path looking for a place he can duck down in to cover with out being observed. When he does find the opportunity he goes for it, concealing himself as well as he can whilst having a view up the path towards the thran. He'll wait for a long while (1/4 hour-ish) observing the road.

If he sees nothing he gets back on the road and marches down it at double quick time in order to catch up the ground he has lost on his fellow travellers.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:40 am

Time: Late 4th watch/early 5th watch

Less than a kilometre south of the thran the warband crest a small rise where Barak plays out his equipment 'malfunction', the rest of the warband continue their journey south while Barak takes up a position where he can lie in wait observing the thran.

Barak lies watching for sometime and not seeing anything out of the usual he slides down the crest of the rise and heads south, Barak pushes on south for several hundred metres before he finds the rest of the warband waiting by the roadside under the shade of tree.

[OOC] Notice the top of the post now includes a time stamp, I thought I would include this every time I posted to give every one a good idea what time of day it is. Your thoughts....
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:37 am

[OoC: It seems a good idea to me...]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:25 pm

Time: Beginning of the 5th watch to mid 5th watch.

Walking along the trail there does not appear to be any sign that anything out of the ordinary has occurred along this trail since you march along here earlier. The birds and insect life continues to harmonise along the way. Birds can be seen flying towards roosts while other wildlife like frogs begin to croak signalling the start of darkness.

As you head south making your way towards the thran of Lihea, you crest a small rise and catch sight of the thran just under a kilometre from the thran itself.

It would appear from this distance that the thran is beginning to settle in for the night, smoke drifts lazily from the roofs of clanhouses, while light can be seen from behind closed shutters.

The light is starting to fade rapidly now as nightfall sets in.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:19 pm

As the group walks, Kugald says, "I hate to steal from Menglanans who have already lost so much, but I don't think we have any choice. We should stay well away from the thran. I suggest we wait until nightfall, slip down to the waterfront and find a boat to steal. We might spend the extra time until then looking for something to use as oars or poles, as I imagine the real oars will be in their owner's homes."

TTYL

- Kugald
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next