From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

14 Peonu 720

+4
Algared
Jurri Grebel
Borygg Raal
GM
8 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

14 Peonu 720 - Page 3 Empty Re: 14 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:22 am

Now that he is closely, what caught Barak's eye (the glint). Barak calls Algared and the rest of the party over.

Holding his nose, Barak gingerly inspects the contents of the pack and pouchs - though not in contact with body. Though he is used to recently dead bodies, gutting animals etc, he has never grown to like the stench of rotting flesh.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:34 am

Once he is again dressed in dry clothes, Jurri will rub his legs vigorously and then pace back and forth to restore bloodflow.

Once Barak calls the others over, Jurri will observe as he inspects the contents of the packs. Jurri will pay attention to anything he recognizes that would provide clues to the identity of the deceased man, or what he was doing here.

Is there any evidence that this was a violent death?
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:57 am

The signs you can see would reveal that what has happened to him is indeed violent but whether they occured before or after death you are not able to determine. His body has been attacked by several predators since he laid down to rest. His stomach has been opened, his eyes are missing and most of the soft tissue from around his legs and arms has disappeared. If he suffered any wounds prior to that you are not able to find any evidence of them.

The pack reveals the usual items a man would take with him on a cross country journey, there is a change of clothing, some bandages and first aid gear, a handaxe and personal effects like a comb, razor etc. a small flute is also hidden in his pack.

Around his still intact neck you find a leather thong on which hangs a boars tusk some 5" in length and near that the only item that might indicate who this person was - a small crest hangs from the leather thong a boars head atop a castle wall.

A small beltpouch contains what would seem to be the bodies wealth a total of 14d. Attached to his belt is a sword still sheathed and a dagger also still sheathed.

A cylindrical canisister lies near the body its lid closed and sealed with wax, an imprint into the seal indicates a coat of arms that none of you are familiar with.

A boars head atop a castle wall.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:33 am

Jurri will pick up the cylinder and examine it closely.

"A message for someone. But for who, and who from? I do not recognize these arms. Perhaps they are Ibanvaaler." He'll look to Kugald. "Shall I break the seal?"
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:42 am

Kugald looks about the camp.

"Well, if we don't break the seal, we will never know who it is for and thus never be able to deliver it. If it is for an ally, they will understand and be glad we could deliver it. If it is for an enemy, then perhaps it is some secret that could benefit the Daas."

"Open it and tell us what you find."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:13 am

Jurri will break the seal and see what's inside.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:05 pm

Looking over the scene Algared, sighs "Were this my own passing I think I also would want to linger.

"I was at first thinking maybe the cold took him after he crossed the ford. But look the blanket lies discarded from the body. That may indicate he was disturbed or he was not yet asleep. His sword is sheathed and that crest may indicate he was someone of note."

Noting the flute and belongings, Algared says to Jurri, "He liked music, and had some still as a physician. see the physican's tools." Then to the group Algared adds, "We should see to his burial, and if it is in our power take word of his passing to his kin if it is within our means. I doubt we can dig a grave, maybe we could build a cairn of stones over him and say prayers to Sarajin for him."

As Jurri breaks open the seal to read the contents, stops and waits for the possible revealtion about the man and his task to be revealed.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:44 pm

Jurri breaks the seal and opens the container, noting that the inside is damp. Opening the damaged letter, he studies the writing for a moment, then says:

"It's foreign."

He reads aloud:

Greet and greetings Dejang Tejaal.

I sent with an offer of the peace and the cooperation this courier to you.

I offer autonomy over your kingdom and a return to the kingdom of Trondis to you.

As reconciliation I ask that you arrange your forces and

"I cannot read the rest. The ink has run with the damp."

Holding the letter out to anyone else who wishes to examine it, he adds:

"Perhaps Hovik's mission was successful."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:56 pm

He ponders this news for a moment.

"So, the Ibanvaalese are in negotiations with the Tejaal of Trond and offer them autonomy in return for their support. Well, this courier died. That does not mean another didn't get through. We need to bring this news and what else we have found to Ygesdram post haste. Depending on what has happened in the meantime, this may convince the Daas to take a different path than what he has followed so far."

Kugald pulls on his damp breeches and boots and hefts his pack and other weapons.

"Come brothers, we have no time to loose. Algared, we have no time to find enough stones for a cairn. He was our enemy. If the Daas permits it, we can let the Ibanvaalese know where he is and they can bury their own. For now, we must not dally a moment longer. We must find our way to the Daas forces and then get some horses and ride for Ygesdram with great haste before the Daas is attacked from the rear by those who would commit treason."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:11 pm

"Hmmm, I am not sure that note is from the Ibaanvaalers. Do they use that crest? Juri, what foreign language is it written in?"

Since no one else appears interested, Barak takes the 14d, comb, razor, boar's tusk (cutting the cord), sword and dagger (in their scabbards). He also cuts of the boar's head crest and hands it to Kuldald "You may need this to prove who the courier was from". On the way back to pick up his gear Barak wil rinse his hands in the river. He'll also wash any of the stuff he picked up if he thinks he needs it (i.e. if covered in dirt, blood etc).

When he reaches his gear he'll stuff the small bits in to his loot sack. He'll examine the sword and dagger. [OoC: What sort are they (broadsword, shortsword etc) and what quality? What Are the comb and razor made from (bone, ivory, horn, wood etc)?]

Last edited by Barak Daas on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:57 pm

Barak Daas wrote:"Hmmm, I am not sure that note is from the Ibaanvaalers. Do they use that crest? Juri, what foreign language is it written in?"

OOC: Will need clarification from Neil on that. I was just told it was foreign, but Jurri doesn't read any other languages, so I assume there's something about the writing style that marks it as not originating from Menglana.

"I do not recognize the crest, but then I don't know much of those used in Ibanvaal or elsewhere. The offer is clearly foreign, though, and someone who feels it within their power to grant "autonomy" to the Tejaal. Unless we are facing more than one invader, Ibanvaal seems most likely."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:28 pm

"Well Algared it seems like your spirit vision was right, but I didn't know you were a shaman. And Borygg too. Anyway, if this place is really haunted by spirits I don't want to hang about, at least not after dark, I don't know the right songs to banish them."

"Kugald, there is one point. I know he was our enemy, but even so he was a fellow traveller and did us no harm. I am with Algared I think we can take the time to cover his remains in a cairn of stones taken from the scree slope yonder. Algared and I can catch you up later if you can't wait."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:56 pm

Once Jurri has read what he can Algared says, "so we know the part of the mystery, but not all for how he has died still elludes us. However, since he may well be a foe, and we dont have time to raise a cairn we should leave and post haste for the message is of import. It needs to go to the Daas and to the king I think for it is proof that the Ibanvaal seek more than merely the acquision of Storzarlund but of the break-up of all Menglana. Though i think the Daas was aware that the Tegaal were plotting that was why we were sent to apprehend the renegade valhaker. But still this is more evidence."

Algared looks about the camp once more and scratches his head before saying, "I dont recall seeing the ghost having sword but rather spear and sheild, yet we have found no spear and shield here, I wonder if our ghost was a Daas or Storzar warrior who had tried to intercept the messenger but failed in his task and wanted us to find this scroll and return it to the Daas?"

As Algared the band discuss the finding the course of action Algared is a little startled when barak decides to loot the body and frowns. "Though I would suggest that we we take what items will be a boon for our small band, maybe the coin, the physicians kit and bandages and anything that may help identify this man or is needed".

Algared bows his head slightly and prays in a whisper.

"Thankyou Ylina, in helping to guide our path to to grant us understanding, may these items we take aid us and bring glory to our lord Sarajin, if it so pleases you guide this man to Talaagard if he was worthy."

He will then take the physicians kit and bandages if they aren't already, like most other items inside Barak's loot bag.

"Aye, Kugald, Barak and I could cover him, and then certainly with Barak's tracking skill we could catch you. However our food stores are all but exhausted so we'll need a new source of food soon."

Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:44 am

"Barak, if you feel that we must cover him, then so be it. Best we all stay and do it quickly, so that we don't delay any further. I do not want us to split up, we are few enough as it is."

Kugald takes the boar's head crest and tucks it in his pouch. He begins to gather stones and bring them back to the body.

"Quickly now, we have no time to waste," he says to the others.

Once they have covered the body with a reasonable number of stones to prevent it being further despoiled by animals, Kugald asks Algared to say a few words over the man so as to let his spirit cross into Sarajin's great hall.

"Right. Let's get moving. Like Barak said, just because we are on this side of the river, doesn't mean we are safe. Keep a keen eye out for the Ibanvaalese...and our own troops for that matter. They might be likely to shoot first and ask questions later this close to the border."

Hefting on his pack, he looks to Barak. "Lead the way cousin."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:44 am

When Kugald asks Algared to say a few words so the man may pass over, he nods and then prays.
"Lord Sarajin, we ask you look upon this fallen man guide him to your table if he was deserving. We also ask if the spirit belongs to another that you guide them to your table also now that their wordly life is done."

Having prayed Algared wipes his hands then hefts his pack ready to follow Barak's path. As they walk algared falls back a little next to Kugald.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:06 am

[OoC: Back tracking the rime line slightly, Barak responds to Algared's "looting" comments] "In the thrans it is good to honour a man's possessions and given them to their next of kin. In the wilderness things are different, you don't honour someone by letting their equipment go to waste. You take what you can re-use or pass on or even sale." and then with a smile "I know you wanted those physician's bits so I left them for you."

Barak rushes around to collect rocks and pile them over the man's body. He knows they won't be enough to stop a determined scavenger, but they have done their best in the time they have available. As he goes Barak wonders if there is a missing spear and shield somewhere to be found.

Once the job is done, he hauls all his gear on his back, and sets off down the hill to the south and east, his own spear and shield in hand. To Kugald he says "So where are we going? Are we staying in the hills or going to the thrans?"
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:42 pm

When Barak comments about looting, Algared responds.

"Indeed Barak, but a few moments ago you didn't want to go near the corpse and no sooner are we reading the scroll than you are stuffing gear into your loot bag, taking sword dagger and anything else of worth. And yet seemed willing to leave a physicians kit and without a word. It seemed that your attitude was, I'm taking what I want rather than what do we need or can we use. Forgive me If I read your actions wrongly, but my frown was based on what appeared to be rather than what may have been your intent. I am not against taking what we can use or sell, especially when some of our kit is wearing out or thread bare. By your reasoning the pack and change of clothing, the flute, bandages and other items should also have been added apart from merely the larger items and clearly more valuable items."

Last edited by Algared on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:22 pm

Barak visibly struggles to bite his tongue. In the end he says nothing.

[OoC: his actions are, I believe, aligned to Barak's morality - he has never claimed to be as pure as the driven snow, nor yet even "honourable" per se.]

Last edited by Barak Daas on Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:42 am; edited 3 times in total
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Kugald considers their destination.

"Let's make for Abderheim. I think it will still be in Daas hands. We will survey it from a distance and then decide. Fair enough?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:09 pm

"Yes, no problem. Where is Abderheim from here?"
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:29 pm

When the group found the body, Borygg stopped his dragging of the river, wound up the rope, and stowed it in his pack, then joined the group around the body. He helped the others cover the body with stones then gathered his equipment and is ready to travel.

OOC: Sorry I haven't posted in a few days. The site stopped sending me notifications and I just hadn't come here to check manually.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:31 am

"Well, I have travelled this road before. This river is the boundary between Daaslund and...I guess what is now Ibanvaalese land. The mountains are to our left, to the south, to the right, to the north, is the road and then the Liem River. Abderheim should be not more than one league straight ahead of us, to the west. The boundary tributary stream is behind us, to the east. It should be pretty easy."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:23 am

"We also need to make sure a patrol or watch is placed upon the crossing we just used. If this courier used it already it is essential to have it guarded." Algared says as the band move along.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:44 pm

Barak leads off down slope with the river to his back, heading roughly to the west. He advanced cautciously looking out for patrols.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:50 pm

"Kugald, when we approach the settlement, do you still want me to walk ahead, unarmed, to announce our arrival? It would be ironic to have come all this way to be mistakenly shot down by a Daas sentry."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next