From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

23 Nuzyael 720

+2
Barak Daas
GM
6 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

23 Nuzyael 720 - Page 2 Empty Re: 23 Nuzyael 720

Post  Borygg Raal Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:52 am

Borygg drops his spear and shield on the ground outside the clanhouse and readies an arrow. He will follow Kugald's lead, staying by the clanhouse or advancing on the gate as Kugald does. When he advances, he will leave the spear and shield and keep his bow in hand (unless instructed otherwise). He has his club and dagger and all armour but has left his bedroll and other belongings (except worn jewelry) in the clanhouse, hoping that he'll be able to retrieve it and that it won't be stolen by the inhabitants or the oncoming army.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:44 am

Algared runs up the hill to the Thranhold, 'For Menglana, The Daas and Storza." he yells as he charges. Upon reaching the gate he stands to the left of the line, one of his throwing spears at the ready. "Come forth and surrender or feel the wrath of the Daas."

It wont be long till the rest of the Daas army arrives, and Algared hopes to retrieve his pack, with his cooking equipment, clothes spear and staff sling when the fightings done and they claim the booty from those who occupy the thran and bring misery to the Storzar's people. He wonders if the defenders will surrender or foolishly fight and die he imagines the later will be the case and they will come forth clad in mail.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:12 am

As the warband charge the gates Barak surges ahead, he chases the man that is fleeing over the hill. The rest of the warband head towards the gate.

As the warband nears the gate they can see the gate starting to close....

Thorin is the first to reach the gate the two men attempting to close the gate stop their attempt and flee towards one of the clanhouses inside the thranhold.

Thorin stands near the centre of the passge which has been reduce slightly by the partly closed gates. Soon Barak, Algared, Vidar and Jurri have closed in upon Thorin and stand with shields locked waiting for anyone from inside the thranhold to approach.

Kugald, Erdrick and Borygg wait as they see the gates begin to close. A lump sits in everyone's throat as they watch, but soon Thorin has secured the gate.

Thaldirs approaches from behind Kugald and his companions "We will hold here, you make sure that gate stays open" he orders.

Thaldirs and his warriors begin to form a skirmish line facing back towards the thran.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:31 am

Jurri examines inside the gate area. Is there any sort of fighting platform or structure inside where an enemy could hide?

The area inside the thranhold is similiar to your home of Ygesdram, there are around 5 larger buildings, probably clanhouses and around a further 8 or so smaller buildings resembling storage areas and work places.

The wall does have a step structure from which warriors could fight, but from where you stand this is not manned.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:38 am

"Forward! Borygg, bring your spear and shield."

Kugald, Borygg and Erdrick move forward until they are in the gateway, with the other five members of their band. The five shieldmen of their band are locked facing into the thranhold, while Thaldirs and his men facing out towards the thran. The heavily armed band stands ready to receive the enemy.

Kugald takes a moment to push the gates fully open, then he drives his axe into the lower part of the right hand gate (where the hinge is) to make it more difficult to close the gate.

"Well done men! Prepare to receive their charge. It will take them a few minutes to get organized."

Kugald stands facing into the thranhold. He sets out a dozen of his arrows, points into the earth. Beside them he sticks his spear, ready to be grabbed quickly. His shield is slung across his back, giving some protection from shots from behind.

"Archers, prepare to thin them out as they come into short range."

"We only have to hold until the Daas and the rest of the army get here. Nothing to it."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:42 am

Borygg will follow Kugald's orders and grab his spear and shield and head up to the gate. Once he gets inside with the others he will see what Jurri has seen, that there is a fighting platform on the inside of the wall.

Pointing to the nearby ladder, Borygg says "Kugald, maybe a few of us archers should climb up and get a better vantage point for any upcoming shooting."
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:46 am

Jurri nods at Borygg's idea. "It would prevent any of us from blocking your aim, and let more of us fight at once," he adds.

(Is there anything in the open area inside that could be used as cover? Bales of hay, barrels, carts, etc?)

Apart from a few scattering locals the compound itself is clear, towards the end of the compound stands a fence, it might just pass as being defensable, but noone is there at the moment.

The only ladder you are able to see lies off the left side of the thranhold bout half way in
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:33 am

Standing the gateway of the thranhold you wait for the onslaught you know is coming. Thaldirs stands at the base of the hill. Looking back towards the thran all the locals appear to have sought cover somewhere.

The thran is all but empty of people. Numerous livestock wander the thran, pigs, sheep, goats and various fowl.

Looking towards south you seek any sign of the Daas army approaching as yet there is none. The thranhold is now quiet too.

You wait several minutes and then in the distance to the south you can see your warband approaching perhaps another few minutes away. At last there is movement in the thranhold.

A door from one of the clanhouses opens slightly, you are unable to see anything beyond the door at the moment. From the door a man in his late twenties appears. He is flanked by two other men.

He approaches your warband, he or his companions bear no visible weapons as he makes his way towards you.

He stops about 15-20' away from your shieldwall. "I am Keslaar Uthson, first born to Arthaar Uthson the valhakar of clan Uthson and the holder of this thran, you appear to have us at a disadvantage. The gates of our thranhold are yours and I concede to your will" he says with just a hint of defiance in his voice.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:35 am

"Aye, it would give us a better vantage point, but there is no cover against arrows from inside the thranhold. And, if things went poorly below, we wouldn't be able to pick up our spears and shields and help."

"No, the gate is the priority. We should stay here."

"But it was a good idea. Keep them coming. Two heads are better than one my old da used to say. You never know when I might miss the bleedingly obvious....it has been known to happen to me...from time to time."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:36 am

OOC: Aw shit...

Vidar turns to Algared: "Aw shit..."

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:37 am

Kugald looks to Thaldirs to accept the surrender.

TTYL

- Kerry

Thaldirs points over his shoulder towards the fast approaching warband "lets just wait and let the Daas accept the surrender" he says.
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:04 am

Barak dosn't relax his defensive posture with spear and sheild, but he does ease over to Kugald "It could be a ruse." he says "But if there is to be no fighting, should Borygg return to the clanhouse and secure our belongings? I don't fancy my gear chucked in to the cess pit."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:26 pm

Algared watches ready and stands firm as they await the arrival of the Daas. He feels that they should accept the surrender or have the would be defenders presented without weapons and armour and sitting. But Thaldir's is the knows the job, still Algared feels he had called for them to come forth and surrender, which they have.. even if it was assisted by the imminent arrival of the Daas.

"Persobnally, Kugald I think they should all come out from hiding and wait patiently, seated on the ground until the Daas formally accepts the surrender."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:39 pm

To Algarad; "We've captured the thranhold with no loss of life. Be content. There is no need to discomfort our allies. Thier warriors will be at Froyaheim."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:51 pm

The warband stand defending the gates until the Daas arrives, he climbs the hill at an easy pace following the path to the gatehouse.

On his arrival, he faces beams with a broad smile. He pats Kugald on the right shoulder as he stops near Thaldir. Thaldir has a brief yet private chat with the Daas before Cunate then turns and enters the thranhold.

As he passes the warband he says "Well done, you have indeed redeemed yourself!" then he stops and says "Let no one through till you are told by me otherwise" with that he and his small entourage of huscarls enters the thranhold.

Thaldir begins to draw his men closer to the gatehouse to stand guard.

Cunate and Kelsaar both walk off and enter a clanhouse furthest from the gatehouse.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:42 am

Looking down at the thran below you, you can see the Daas warband reaking havoc among the thran, the warriors are replenishing their food bags. Thaldir points out to three of his men and instructs them to gather their belongings and bring them up to them, he turns to Kugald and suggests he arranges for someone from his warband to do the same.

After what seems about a 1/4 of a watch one of Cunate's aides appears from the clanhouse. He approaches Thaldirs and they move away from the group for a more private conversation.

Thaldirs looks around the compound and points out two clanhouses and then after holding his chin in thought points out a further two more.

The aide you recognise approaches Kugald, "The Daas and Kelsaar have reached a surrender, you have the task of search those two clanhouses" (the second two that Thaldir indicated) as he points to the first clanhouse on the left as you enter the thranhold, judging by the storage areas this clanhouse belongs to a mercantyler, the second clanhouse lies on the right side of the thranhold and looks non descript from the outside as do the surrounding outbuildings.

"You are free to take booty but you are to leave the occupants alone" he adds.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:52 am

"Algared, Barak, can you please go back to the clan house and bring up all our packs and gear before someone loots it. Thank you."

Once the pair return from picking up the gear, the band waits around protecting the gate and not letting anyone pass.

GM wrote:
The aide you recognise approaches Kugald, "The Daas and Kelsaar have reached a surrender, you have the task of search those two clanhouses"

"You are free to take booty but you are to leave the occupants alone" he adds.

Kugald smiles broadly. "We have our orders men!" He leads the rush to the two houses. "Thorin, Borygg, Jurri and Erdrick, you take the mercantyler's house. Barak, Algared, Vidar, you're with me. We will take the second house."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:50 am

"Yesterday you wouldn't even touch a saussage and Vidar thought we were not honouring the people enough. Today Vidar is dispointed because he didn't get the chance to kill the friends and relatives of the same people, and you are eager to pillage whatever you can find. What happened to this not being a viking raid and keeping friends at our back? I knew that was just rhetoric. I hope there is some decent loot in this house, and that you havn't given it all to Thorin and company. Otherwise next time I am going to do the choosing."

Barak heads purposesly for the house. After all he was through the gate and scared off the guards. Not that he'd expect anyone in clan Daas to recognise the risks he took. A 'forelorn hope' indeed.

Barak intends to raid the bedroom first and then the kitchen, but that might change depending on the nature of the hovel.

Last edited by Barak Daas on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:29 pm

Barak Daas wrote:"Yesterday you wouldn't even touch a saussage and Vidar thought we were not honouring the people enough. Today Vidar is dispointed because he didn't get the chance to kill the friends and relatives of the same people, and you are eager to pillage whatever you can find. What happened to this not being a viking raid and keeping friends at our back? I knew that was just rhetoric. I hope there is some decent loot in this house, and that you havn't given it all to Thorin and company. Otherwise next time I am going to do the choosing."

Barak heads purposesly for the house. Afterall was through the gate and scared off the guards. Not that he'd expect anyone in clan Daas to recognise the risks he took. A 'forelorn hope' indeed.

Barak intends to raid the bedroom first and then the kitchen, but that might change depending on the nature of the hovel.

Algared watches the others head off to pillage the merchants house and hopes they remember they are also searching for things of interest. And turns towards the rather non-descript dwelling. It's possible its just a poorer clanmans hut, then again it's in the thranhold and may be merely someone seeking to look poorer. No-one would burgle a begger. Algared doesn't say anything but his thoughts echo Barak's words.

Not likely they'll be any arcane items or fine clothes, he looks down at his better set of clothes which he put one after washing the previous day and wonder's whether his left handedness and going to learn the ways of the Shak-P'var is merely a great curse, that has cost him development in even the basic skills of warfare or even mercantyling. A feeling that isn't helped as he recalls that despite his teacher's praising the ability he has, Algared always knew that even the simpliest of spells he cast succeeded only 4 times out of 10 at best, at least that was until he was gifted his focus.

He shrugs, doesn't matter how hard he tries to to care for the weaker he knows it is all for naught.
Cunate blamed him for failure, had said he had failed both Him and Kugald. On passing the gate the Daas praised Kugald and said, he had done much to redeem himself and yet not a word to me. I may not be the best warrior, but I would have charged the gate like Barak if I was as swift. I would have stood in the line at the Leim River but for a spear in the shield making it useless and having been able to withdraw to get another, and when I finally showed I was at least of some value healing Hovik's, Kugald and the Daas undid the work, although... maybe I should have struck him earlier instead of worrying about the unity the band.

Algared thinks of the couple whose home they invaded who will have their belongings looted. And hopes they were able to hide their valuables before the main body of the Daas force arrived. He looks up at the dwelling he approaches. These people safe behind their wall and as part of the ruling clan believed themselves safe and likely more powerful. Well I wont touch them but I'm damned if they'll have anything of value left when we leave.

Last edited by Algared on Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Minor corrections to sentence structure and layout for ease of reading and few typo's corrected as well)
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:35 pm

Barak wrote:
What happened to this not being a viking raid and keeping friends at our back? I knew that was just rhetoric.

"Don't be an idiot! The residents of the thran are the same thralls that were here when this was a Menglana thran. The residents of the thranhold are the new Ibanvaalese invaders. Of course I am willing to raid their clanhouses, they stole this stuff from Menglanese, I am just taking it back."

Barak wrote:
"I hope there is some decent loot in this house, and that you havn't given it all to Thorin and company. Otherwise next time I am going to do the choosing."

"Both houses are inside the thranhold, so there should be loot for all. If you don't like it, do what you wish, go to the other house. It was my intent to share whatever loot we found amongst us all, but if you are intent on going your own way, do so and keep what you find for yourself. I will do the same."

TTYL

- Kerry

OOC: Hi Jonathan, after reading your post, I was wondering if your read the Campaign Background write-up that Neil has written? It details the Ibanvaalese invasion of Menglana, the capture of Froyby and the imminent (now current) Ibanvaalese attack on Froyaheim. It is common knowledge for the characters, so that is why Kugald is angered over Barak's 'lack of understanding' about the difference between those inside and outside the thranhold of Froyby. I wanted to make it clear that this is not an attack on you as a player, but rather character-to-character tension.
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:45 pm

Vidar turns his wide-eyed gaze at Barak. His fair skin flushes a little with redness.

"What the hell are you talking about? I'm not angry that I didn't get to kill people. Have you no knowledge of the Ljarl? These <pointing to the clanhouse> are invaders. I have no desire to engage the innocent -- and my brethren! <pointing back to the thran beyond the gatehouse> -- in warfare unless it is necessary. Where did you get such a silly notion?

"As for my disappointment, it is towards these cowards <pointing back at the clanhouse> who invaded us in a dishonorable and contemptable manner, and then, when presented the opportunity to test their mettle in the purest test of all -- the test of strength and arms, the ultimate moot presided by the Lord of the Icy Wind -- they fold and beg for mercy.

"It is dishonorable. It is a violation of the Ljarl. It is shameful. What remains now is to see how Cunate handles the situation. Sarajin watches."

Vidar does not actively participate in the looting. He spends the time in disappointed prayer, thankful for the victory, dismayed at the form of today's measurement.

OOC: Just to make it clear, that wasn't a personal attack on Barak's, player. That was how Vidar would react to such words from Barak. I do indeed follow Barak's line of reasoning, but I know that Barak doesn't know much or understand much about Sarajin. Vidar, as an almost fanatacal follower, can't grasp the lack of understanding. If we have to roleplay a party-rift between incompatable characters, so-be-it, but party disunity (as I gleaned from reading earlier posts) sucks ass and is no fun for anyone. Just a comment.

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:51 pm

Kugald Daas wrote:"Algared, Barak, can you please go back to the clan house and bring up all our packs and gear before someone loots it. Thank you."
Borygg takes his knapsack and other equipment from Algared/Barak and thanks them. He'll give it a quick once-over to make sure nothing is missing.
Kugald Daas wrote:Kugald smiles broadly. "We have our orders men!" He leads the rush to the two houses. "Thorin, Borygg, Jurri and Erdrick, you take the mercantyler's house. Barak, Algared, Vidar, you're with me. We will take the second house."
Borygg will enter the house Kugald indicates, with his spear at the ready but with shield slung on his back. Even while looking for valuables (or even some decent clothes and armour) he will remain alert that someone might be hiding in the house. Borygg has quite a bit of experience looking for valuables in hidden places so he will keep an eye out for any thing or any place that might be of interest.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:00 pm

Kugald wrote:The residents of the thran are the same thralls that were here when this was a Menglana thran (etc).

"The Menglana thralls' homes are still being looted. I still do not see what was wrong with us taking a saussage or two - at least we would have eaten them and they wouldn't just be trampled in the dirt. Surely not all of the houses in the thraanhold can be Ibanvaal?"
Kugald wrote:It was my intent to share whatever loot we found amongst us all (etc)
"But you didn't say that. Do you expect me to be a mind reader? Those are more Algarad's skills from what I hear. Yes, I will share. The merchantyler's house is likely to have all the gold."

Last edited by Barak Daas on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:49 pm

Algared enters the house indicated and looks around, he will watch the residents if any are there, having them move if they are sitting down so that a search may be made under where they sit. He'll try to keep a watch on them so that they do not try secret another bauble upon their person, since the instruction was not to touch the people. [OOC: I take that means whatever they hold or wear is safe from looting?] He will be thourough in his search even ladling through any pot on the boil which may now have coins, rings or gems tossed in to hide them, if he finds any he'll claim the food as a ready cooked meal for the warband.

Last edited by Algared on Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited to correct some sentence structure)
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:51 pm

Vidar wrote:Have you no knowledge of the Ljarl?
Barak is startled: "Of course I know of the Ljarl."

Vidar wrote:It is dishonorable. It is a violation of the Ljarl.
"What is? The surrender or the looting? Surrender was the only course of action - not even Lynraal would expect three men to take on seven hundred. The looting is why this host is here. If it wasn't for the chance of loot then not even a fifth of this host would be following the Daas' call."

Vidar wrote:What remains now is to see how Cunate handles the situation.
"He more or less ordered us to loot these houses. Do not forget he wants his one third share of the loot too." says Barak "Speaking of which, all this discourse is stoping me from getting my hands on the best of the loot."

Barak leaves Vidar to his prayers, and follows Kugald and Algarad in to the house, determined not to be totally left out, shares or no shares.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next