From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

14 Peonu 720

+4
Algared
Jurri Grebel
Borygg Raal
GM
8 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

14 Peonu 720 - Page 2 Empty Re: 14 Peonu 720

Post  GM Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:54 am

Time: Beginning 3rd watch

Lined across the river Barak remains on the near bank with his bow nearby, next in line is Jurri, then Algared, then Borygg and lastly closest to the far bank is Kugald.

As Borygg takes the first bundle from Algared he turns to pass it to Kugald when it he drops pack into about a foot of water. Turns out to be Kugald's pack that was dropped.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 am

Borygg will react quickly and try to grab the pack before it goes anywhere.

Post by GM The pack falls into about a foot of water and with the weight in it, it falls into the water with a splash but does not drift off anywhere. You are able to retrieve it easily
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:51 am

Barak turns his back on the party so that they can't see his smile. Ol' Mother Algared is back, but no doubt there will be some warming nourishing broth on the other side. Having scanned the trees for the enemy he turns back to see Algarad cross. Seeing how deep the water is he reluctantly removes his leggings and puts them on top of his knapsack. He shorts (ties a knot in) his knapsack strap to raise it above the water.

Barak continues to scan the trees and watching the crossing whilst waiting for his turn.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Kugald takes each of the bundles in turn and passes them to Algared, sourly noting that it was his backpack dropped into the water. Its almost like god was trying to punish him for saying unkind things about Algared's manhood.

"Come on, let's get this over with," he said as he contemplated where the expression "Sarajin's blue balls" comes from. Perhaps he had been standing in a glacier fed stream passing bundles....

After the last bundle has been passed, Kugald scrambles out of the stream on the far side, giving a hand to the others as they come out. Then he goes to see if all his clothes have been saturated. In any event, he unbundles his cloak (which he had the foresight to pack separately) and pulls on his gambeson and mail and bundles himself up in his cloak to warm up. As soon as his teeth stop chattering, he says "We should be off as soon as everyone gets dressed. A good hard march will keep us warm."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:13 pm

After all the gear has been passed, Borygg makes his way to the other side of the stream and gets out. As he is getting redressed, he'll examine his hand. When that bag dropped, it sure felt like something hit his hand, as if somebody had slapped it or something. He looks closely to see if there is any redness or bruising.

After getting dressed, Borygg checks all his weapons and repacks his gear, putting the wet rope at the bottom of his sack. He'll try to remember to get it out when they make camp and set it out to dry.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:42 pm

"Before we leave here should we not search this side to see if we can find a clue to the ghostly figures fate? Were it you or I whose spirit lingured I would hope there would be those who tried to help me find rest.... Mind I still think we shouldn't leave a crossing point unguarded, until we inform others." Algared says between chattering teeth as he dresses.

He falls silent for a moment, his head bowed as if in a quick prayer. He finishes dressing and waits for the others to finish and head out.

Last edited by Algared on Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:59 pm

Borygg nods in assent at Algared's words then says "Maybe it was the ghost that slapped my hand and made me drop Kugald's bag."
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:11 pm

"I thought you just lost your grip on the bag. But if your hand was slapped it is possible. Maybe even that is the location where our ghostly friend perished. Perhaps he was crossing alone dropped his pack and tried to retrieve it but lost his footing and with the current and the cold drowned."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:18 pm

Once the warband are out of the river on the far bank with all their equipment they begin to dress themselves again. Algared notes the cold through his legs and feet finding it hard to move the chill has affected him the most after having stood in nearly waist deep water. Borygg and Jurri at this point are suffering from numb feet from standing in the chill waters while everyones packs were manhandled across the river.

Kugald and Barak are extremely cold from their crossing like their companions but at this stage do not seem to be suffering from the effects of the cold water like their counterparts.

GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:24 pm

Once the last bundle is accross, Barak makes his way to the river, sheathing his bow enroute.

He makes his way gingerly accross the river using his spear staff as a third leg. He hates wading rivers but he at least knows what to expect, having crossed Many on his hunting trips.

Once on the other side he will put his leggings back on. He draws his bow to cover his chilled friends. "Remember" he says, "just because we're on this side of the river and the Ibanvaal camp is on the other, dosn't mean we're safe. This land maybe in the Dagan's hands or patrolled by his men."

Last edited by Barak Daas on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:24 am

To combat the cold Algared rubs his feet and legs vigorously as he tries letting the friction help add warmth. "I dont suppose we can light a fire I feel near frozen and Jurri and Borryg probably feel as chilled in their feet." He adds wistfully as he tries to help his body recover, and also greatful that his clothes are at least dry. As his arms tire from the vigorous rubbing of his legs he stands and runs on the spot as he tries encourage warmth to creep back into his being. "I could well believe our ghostly firend died from the cold if he fell into the river and was their for a period of time."

Though I wonder why he appears with shield and spear, I suppose that if he had crossed by suffered from the cold he would have still had his gear with him, or maybe he just appears that way. Algared shrugs at the thought as he rubs his legs and feet and tries to move freely and defeat the cold.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:33 am

GM wrote:Borygg and Jurri at this point are suffering from numb feet from standing in the chill waters while everyones packs were manhandled across the river.
Borygg pulls on his boots and stamps his feet. He shakes off the numbness as if it was nothing. A brief stream crossing doesn't compare to cold he felt on many occasions while sitting on a rower's bench in a longship on the icy northern seas.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:01 am

Jurri looks startled for a moment (probably for no apparent reason), then turns in a circle as he carefully looks around the area.

"Something's not right. I think the ghost is not done with us just yet."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:58 am

"Why do you say that, Jurri? Did you feel or hear something?"
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:09 am

"Someone...or something...just touched my shoulder. It wasn't one of you, and I'm sure it wasn't just something falling from the tree."

"Kugald, do you remember when I told you I could sometimes get impressions about people? Like Hovik? Well, I think there's someone here besides us. I'm not sure they mean harm, though. More like they are trying to tell us something."

If Jurri knows any folklore concerning how to speak with the dead, he'll share it. Shame Vidar's not here.

Post by GM You stories of men dying in battle and their journey to Talaagaard, you know stories concerning the valour displayed by those in Talaagaard, you have stories of priests and thier battles against the spirits but you know nothing of how to speak with the dead
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:24 am

"Right, if everyone is ready, it is time we moved on. Exercise will soon get you warmed up. So, Kugald, where are we going? Staying in the hills and forrest, or down to the nearest thran?"
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:10 pm

"A moment Barak..." Kugald raises his hand in a stopping motion. "Several have seen this 'ghost' and now it seems to have touched Jurri. This is strange enough that it bears investigating. Don't get me wrong, I want to get home more than anyone, but this is too bizarre to let pass."

Standing there with only his shirt, gambeson and mail shirt, but no pants, Kugald looks around carefully to try and see what the others have only told him.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:39 pm

OOC: Dude, put some pants on! The rest of us don't want to see what others have told us about. Oh, you meant the ghost.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:24 pm

My thought was that the fellow had drowned, and mayhap they had a message they needed desired delivered. Or maybe they met foul play, but it almost seems as though they were guarding the ford. I recall when I first saw it I was assailed by an urge to flee... I saluted him as a friend being on the Daaslund side of the river, well I would like to think since then he acknowledged us as friends rather than foes... No doubt we will only find the answer by searching for it.

Barak, maybe should look around for tracks or signs..." Algared looks around to locate where the ghostly form retreated into the trees. "He seemed to retreat into those bushes. Thats likely as good a place as any to search for signs before we ruin any signs that remain of his passing.

Kugald what do you think of gragging the grapple across the ford, maybe it will catch a pack or something if our wandering spirit desires us to find something, right some wrong or complete a task. I am guessing for I can't think of any other reason that he would wander here unless he merely needs a priests help to pass over." Algared scratches his head as he thinks, and continues to rub his legs and feet as he tries to encourage some warmth back into them, though at present he imagines that lighting a fire under water would be easier.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:29 pm

Barak looks for a suitable tree, takes off his knapsack, lays this shield and spear besides it, and then sits down with his back against the trunk and his hands behind his head.

"You are not serious about these ghasts and goolies are you? Everyone knows that warriors are taken to Talaagaard. They don't often come back, but when they do they are flesh and blood. Glowing spectres wandering around in the dark is what mothers tell their daughters to scare them in to eating their greens. I didn't see this glowing man when I was woken, nor when Borygg droped the bag, or just now with Jurri."

"After all the wind and rain I won't be able to track some long gone warriors trail, unless of course he has left a glowing footprint trail." He smiles at his own joke.

[OoC: I think Barak will have brought the warriors get resurrected in heaven part of the Ivinian mythos and hence will be sceptical above ghosts wandering around. If people think this is too modern, then I will change Barak's stance to comply]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:40 pm

"Barak, I am no hunter nor am I a skilled tracker. Yet when a tracker explains that they see evidence that something has happened. Like when you found those giant wolf tracks, we accepted your words, experience and training as an explaination of the cause for the ruined camp, even though we couldn't see the tracks. Why is it you refuse to believe something is amiss and needs investigating simply because you haven't seen it... Both I and Borryg saw it on different watche Borryg woke us up." Algared pauses then says, "Aye, warriors may be taken to Talaagard when they die, but what if they are trapped, or have a sense of duty to an unfilled task or.. or...

Well I dont know what would stop a warrior passing. But I know Vidar always seems keen to do the ritual to help the fallen cross to Talaagard, so that tells me that, at least sometimes, a warrior may have difficulty. "Algared sighs in resignation, and then like Kugald begins looking around, he moves slowly and painfully in the direction the ghoslty figure seemed to come from and go to.

Still feeling the biting cold and finding it difficult to move Algared stamps his feet and rubs his legs. "Well fine if you are intent on doing nothing, how about you build a fire because I'm frozen."
Maybe Ylina will help me find an old camp or some other clue that will help understand this mystery.

Last edited by Algared on Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected a few glaring typo's no doubt there are likely more lurking within.)
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:07 am

Reluctantly Barak gets up and slouches over to where the ghost was seen. He then starts casting around for tracks, preferably of a human hunter or warrior. "Are you sure it wasn't a shaman, or spirit guide, or something? Though your description dosn't sound anything like Neirin ever mentioned."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:21 am

"I was thinking we may not find tracks, though if you do all the better, but we may find an old camp or some equipment near by or something that will help us understand. I would be a lair if I said I understood what we have experienced and why, but I would like to unravel the mystery and if helping this fellow is within means then I would like to give it. I am more certain Vidar would have more answers or have a better understanding, but as he is not here we must act alone. It could be that we will may need to wait til the pre-dawn when he has appeared in the past. Maybe that will enable us to speak it seems he remains briefly but arrives at about the same time."

Last edited by Algared on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:30 am

Algared wrote:Kugald what do you think of gragging the grapple across the ford, maybe it will catch a pack or something if our wandering spirit desires us to find something, right some wrong or complete a task.
Since it looks like the group is in no hurry to get moving, Borygg removes the rope from his pack and goes to the bank of the stream opposite of where he was standing when the ghost or whatever slapped his hand and made him drop Kugald's pack. He checks to make sure the hook is fastened securely to the rope, tosses it into the water in the area around where the pack fell, then drags it across the stream. He'll repeat this a few times in the same general area, then move downstream a bit.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:54 am

As Borygg prepares his grapple and begins to cast out into the river, his first few attempts yield no result. Meanwhile, as Barak searches around the crossing point a glint of sunlight off metal catches his eye.

Moving in the direction of the glint Barak and company find a small but old campsite. A small fire pit with wood long since extinguished sits near one end of a small clearing.

The remains of body lie near the fire, a woollen blanket lies discarded nearby. Near the bodies head lies a pack, damp probably from the recent rain. The body was wearing a green woollen tunic and grey woollen leggings, several pouches lie broken and abandoned nearby.

The body appears to have been ravaged by carrion. Maggots can be seen crawling through the remains, judging by the size of the maggots the body has been here just under a tenday.

Last edited by GM on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Modified the time the body has been exposed to the elements)
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next