From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Initial Attack

+2
Barak Daas
GM
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Initial Attack Empty Initial Attack

Post  GM Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:31 am

Initial Attack IbanvaalArrival

The warboats are arriving from the east.

Sigrun and the 'Farvie' are located at the edge of the beach

The warband are waiting by the well in the market square

Cunate Daas is gathering his forces near the thranaal.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Initial Attack Empty Re: Initial Attack

Post  Barak Daas Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:42 am

Why are the war band at the well, and not at the warehouse?

Barak said (at 12:47 GMT): "We can meet Algared and the rest outside Skorri's wearhouse." he states before heading off that way.

I purposely went for a location with some cover... I think Barak, with a background of hunting, would know the advantage of cover...
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:20 am

You don't need to be a hunter to know the advantage of cover.....

You are currently gaining more cover from the hill and the shipyard buildings than you would be near the warehouse. This is the initial sighting of the Ibanvaal boats and is not made by you but by Sigrun and is posted to give everyone a start point for the engagement.

I will move the warband towards the warehouse as the engagement developes....
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Meldun Jarlaka Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:25 pm

For my own edification, are the dotted lines around the different properties (not the fortifications around the main thran) an actual fence line, or are those just "property lines"? I can't remember.
Meldun Jarlaka
Meldun Jarlaka

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:53 pm

If Anglo-Scandinavian York is anything to go buy, they could be wicker fences around 18" (45cm) high. Certainly that was about the limit of defining urban property boundaries. In Ygresdram things are more rural and I am sure that people keep pigs and chickens on their plots - so the boundaries may be more secure, or they may just keep the animals in pens/runs: certainly their is no "fence" around their veg plots (which is where you definitely do not want your pig to go ;-)
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 am

The dotted lines do represent a fence line of various qualities from the wicker type as described by Jonathan to a post and railing fence.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:29 am

Initial Attack IbanvaalApproach

Red square represents the warband

Blue rectangle represents Cunate and his warriors

For some reason which I cannot explain the red square should be to the left of the most north eastern building and not near the warehouse.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:39 am

Initial Attack IbanvaalLanding
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:47 am

I think the diagram outlines what we wanted to do, or try to do so that we either position our selves at the farm or on the right flank or the Dass line whichever doesnt involve 8 making dash to into the mouth of the 100 enemy horde.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:25 am

Ah - the extreme right flank. The position of honour in the line. No shield in the wall protecting the man on the end.
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:45 am

Bjarni Daasen wrote:Ah - the extreme right flank. The position of honour in the line. No shield in the wall protecting the man on the end.

well more two fold reason, it made the easiest withdrawal path, the cliff must give some cover, and we know of a rumoured and possible real threat from a small band that may attack from the east.

Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:30 pm

Map question, to make sure, I'm reading it right - is the shipwright's area at the base of a cliff, implying that's a hill to its east? If so, how significant is the cliff and how steep/high is the hill?
Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:02 pm

I know that this is a question for Neil, but...

We've established that the line with the tick marks is a cliff (Neil has referred to it as such). The tick mark side should point down so that does imply that it is a hill to the east. The contour lines support this. If these areas were depressions then they would flood from the river in double quick time. If we assume that the contours are 10ft then they would be a slight rise more a hill. If they are 100ft then it would be a very steep hill, but nothing out of the ordinary for a fjord in my opinion. But that would make it a very steep climb up to the thranhall. I expect that they are going to be around 10ft.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:27 am

Yes each contour line represents 10' the first line a cliff face represents a near vertical incline thus the hill to the east has a near vertical incline for 10' then rises a further 10' over the next 50' or so rising higher but not upto the 30' height that would be represented by another contour line.

Hope that clears things up for everyone.... Wink
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:17 am

Initial Attack IbanvaalAdvance-1

Red Line - the Ibanvaal advance since landing
Blue Line - the Daas warband counterattack
Grey Line - smoke rising from burning buildings
Blue Hollow Square - Algared, Eijryk, Borygg and Bjarni and Sigrun (?)
Purple Hollow Square - Barak, Meldun, Bjorn (?) and Byrndis
Light Blue Hollow Rectangle - Thaldirs and a reserve
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:09 am

A question from Neil: Roughly how many "warriors" does Cunate have at Ygresdram and how many made up his shield wall (I know Barak didn't have the time to carry out a census but he should know if it was 20, 200 or 2,000). I'd presume, from the early campaign, he'd have at least a few hundred of his own men (many would be to the east on the blockade) plus reinforcements from the Storzar.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:59 am

From a rough calculation you would put the initial muster at a little over 100 spears.

The problem for the Daas is that a lot of his manpower is already dispersed defending the fringes of the 'realm', his hunters (and skirmishers) have already left the thran in search of game, the fishing fleet is out too, so they are not available either.

The Daas will be relying on the warriors from small outer thrans arriving in time. Although at the moment it does look like there are more Daas warriors than Ibanvaal attackers, but this may change as casualties mount..... Twisted Evil
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:29 am

...Ah, but, Barak has yet to enter the frey. Once he does the Ibanvaalers will be decimated (actually with no armour he is more likely to end up quickly dead).

I hope that Cunate has some good plan up his sleeve: the nearest thrans will only be in time to bury the dead.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:38 am

Initial Attack IbanvaalPush

Symbols are the same however the pink hollow square is Sigrun heading towards the hill....
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Meldun Jarlaka Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:17 am

Is there one for Meldun taking a break on the ground next to that fence. :-/
Meldun Jarlaka
Meldun Jarlaka

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 am

Are Erlig Storzer and he men his men engaged or were they just lumped in with the Daas, hopefully we'll see another box of troops representing the storzer's command. Being so thin I feel we'll need all the help we can get.

Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:08 am

You can always hope!!!!
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:50 am

i was hoping Smile
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:52 pm

When you say the raiders are regrouping to the east, do you mean they have outflanked Algared's group and they are in the main settle at the middle east on the local area map, or that they are retreating back to the east end of the beach where the burning boats are?
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:16 pm

Barak Daas wrote:When you say the raiders are regrouping to the east, do you mean they have outflanked Algared's group and they are in the main settle at the middle east on the local area map, or that they are retreating back to the east end of the beach where the burning boats are?
GM wrote:The Ibanvaal warriors turn their heads in the direction of the horn, there is a noticable change in their behaviour as they seem to be trying to break off towards the east. Several warriors turn and run, some a struck down as they attempt to retire. But some make good thier escape and are able to elude their attackers.

…Algared's second attacker steps back and then breaks to east he joins a group of two other warriors and is has put some distance between him and any Daas warrior.

Barak …The Ibanvaaler in turn does not attack but instead begins to backstep towards the [b?]each, maintaining his guard against the two Daas warriors.

Borygg … the spearmen breaks away from the fight and quickly puts distance between himself and Borygg. Several of the Daas warriors attempt to stop the warrior from fleeing but the berserker does his job well and he engages each Daas warrior…

Bryndis … The second warrior taking the opportunity breaks to the east trying to put as much distance between himself and his Daas opponents.

Eijryk attacks the berserk warrior engaged against Borygg but his spear is dodged by the berserk warrior. The berserker seems intent on destroying anyone who attacks him but his return blow on Eijrky is blocked by the physicians shield.

Sigrun drops her bow and scans the countryside to the east, there is still nothing to be seen in the distance that would indicate a second enemy force approaching. Turning her attentions back to the fight, her target has merged with a group of several other warriors moving towards the east.

I was rereading at the post and it sems they are fleeing and trying to get away.. only one seems to be indicating backing up towards the beach. Given we as players know that the boats are burning means it is more likely that they are fleeing to the east of the map. Though perhaps the third boat will be taking or trying to take some off the beach.

I coulded see any reference to them regrouping, merely mereging as they fled. which happens if you have lots running towards a single point.

Given the pourous nature of the line as indicated numerous times it would seem an easy task to break combat and flee past or away from the Daas and head east. I think the reference in Sigrun's perspective is the most telling, she was looking to the east and sees no secondary force, but her target and others running eatwardly. In all likely hood they would flee whichever way they believed they could escape. if burning the boats was an action they knew was going to happen then running to the beach would be insane, if they didn't know running to the beach makes sense... does that make sense?
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next