From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Later in the meadhall (20 Saraju)

+2
Algared
Barak Daas
6 posters

Go down

Later in the meadhall (20 Saraju) Empty Later in the meadhall (20 Saraju)

Post  Barak Daas Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:25 pm

I am not going to repeat the in-character (and put the OoC conversation in to IC words), so I am assuming it was all said on the way back to Ygresdam if not before.

When the feasting is over, assuming no one is too drunk (and despite his earlier words Barak is ensuring he isn't too drunk, he fears an imminent attack by the Dagen at any point in time)...

Barak says to Algared "So tomorrow Algared, you will try to talk to Cunate about the majority of the party's feeling that the war is lost for now here and see what the options are. Will Cunate evacuate to somewhere else in Menglana or even go to Orbaal? And if he wants to stay and fight will he give his blessing to some of us at least seeking our fortunes elsewhere? Also, if you want to check out boats for sell, can you do it tomorrow. That way by tomorrow afternoon we will no what are choice are around staying here or leaving."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Later in the meadhall (20 Saraju) Empty Re: Later in the meadhall (20 Saraju)

Post  Algared Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:43 am

Yes Barak we will seek to find out Cunate's plans, unless he reveals them first. And express our concerns.

As to the prospect of seeing if there are boats available for sale. I wont do so unless we as a company agree, since I do not have the gold and all of us would will need to contribute. And it will also mean combining most of the collective wealth. Which will I believe also require the use of the gold pendant Svardkell offered for the collective good. I have raised the idea several times and have yet to hear if everyone else agrees. So Bjarni, Svardkell, Bryndis and Borryg what say you to attempting to purchase a vessel?

Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:33 am

I don't understand why we would need to buy a boat. Can't we hire on as crew, or even pay for passage? Unless we plan to stick to maritime adventures, owning a boat will be pretty limiting and, as someone pointed out recently, we're not exactly skilled in this area.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryndis Serewyn Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:35 am

"I have not the wealth you think me, as I have debts and obligations besides those owed to Cunate."
Bryndis Serewyn
Bryndis Serewyn

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:43 am

Whilst waiting for Bjarni and Svardkell to reply, Barak says "I agree with Borygg, we'd make a very mottley crew, and other than yourself Algared I don't think we're cut out to be grain merchants."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:52 am

While Bajarni and Svardkell ponder their thoughts, Algarted replies. "You want to leave because you feel the war here is not going well and because you want to control your destiny. As owners of a vessel we would decide our fate and we would decide what cargo to carry and where our destination lies.

If you crew on a vessel you merely exchange one lord for another, and have no more control on your fate than you do waiting and marching to fight in a shield wall. And if you pay for passage where do you plan to go and for what?

I suppose, I am proposing we form a maritime company as equal shareholder by investing our current wealth, we each hold one of these.” Algared holds up his gold coin to emphasise the point before placing it back into his valuables pouch.

At one time or another we have all expressed the desire not to merely be meat in a shield wall grinder. Barak, you think we aren’t cut out to be a ships company or merchants. If not then what, Mercenaries, mere crew on a vessel we have no stake in? We are as suited to investing in a boat and engaging in maritime trade as anything else. Borryg came to Ygesdram to seek to set up a merchant house on behalf of his employer, he likely has more experience as I as a merchant. Bjarni is more at home on a vessel. And Barak you began life as a fisherman and have more skill around boats than others amongst us, yet we have all shown ability to crew and sail a vessel.

If anything we are better suited to maritime trade and possibility of exploration than anything else. I am not saying it would be easy or that we wouldn’t be a motley crew. But we could employ extra crewmen as needed a Pilot or chippy if we needed by giving them shares of the profit earned or even allowing them extra sea chests. Yes we could merely offer to crew a vessel but at this point in time we are in position to invest in a vessel. And an investment is for the purpose of creating profit. Your coin will not increase by merely sitting in your pocket. And we are currently in position to consider investing our wealth in a vessel which we use to gain a return on the coin invested. I do not claim such, if possible will be easy. Nothing in life worth doing ever is.

Bryndis has said she still feels an obligation to the Daas as do I. As local traders along the rivers we could initially take tunnage from Raal Daas the miller, or Roldin Daas the bee keeper. Or we can take passengers to other local ports. We could also even use a vessel to bring in supplies directly for Jabor. I don’t see a vessel limiting but opening avenues for us and one that will enable us to turn a profit without the immediate danger of standing in a shield wall. As owners of a vessel we can still uphold our obligations with trade rather than merely standing in a shield wall and fighting to gain a gatehouse and once complete take short or medium haul cargo lots moving further afield exploring new ports or new lands.

If by chance we are called on to fight pirates or defend the vessel, we would be fighting for our wealth and property and home, an option I'd rather than being a mere crewman on a ship or fighting in some unknown Valhaker's shield wall which is what we will would need to eventually do. What wealth we have coin will not last long if we are paying for our stay in taverns.

As to paying other debts, a vessel is an investment, which if need can be sold later if need be, but in the meantime can make more coin to pay off what debt are owed. Individually none of us can afford such an investment. But everyone of up has a gold coin, Barak will likely say I am speaking like my father, but a coin sitting in our pocket makes us no more coin. As an investment it can make more coin. So what wealth we invest is not lost as our coin is lost by paying for passage to some unknown port.”

Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:53 pm

"We need something that is seaworthy, not some fjord tub. I say we ship down stream and either hire on as crew on a raider or steal a boat. The King in Pelyn probably has a few spare."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:26 pm

"I am not going to act against Ljarl and steal a vessel. A Talbar or Nivik would be seaworthy if large enough or at least large enough for a coastal trader. I would recommend investing in the largest vessel we could afford.

And why hire on as crew that's not an investment that is mere employment and signing on as crew for a raider is just hiring on to fight someone else's battles. Seems we'd just have more waiting, rushing then getting ready to die in someone else's fight and that if the very thing people have complained about not to mention nothing I ultimately desire. If that is the solution you all set your hearts on, I will not hinder you and will seek to see you leave Ygesdram on good terms but then my friends we will part ways for I can imagine no form of existence where that appeals to me.

Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:44 pm

"You are joking right Algared? I think your sense of honour is misplaced here. Stealing boats, land, women and wealth is how our ancestors lived, how we live. You need to get out more often my friend. Steal a decent ship, recruit a crew of stout rogues and go raiding ourselves."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:13 am

"When have Vikings ever stolen boats for their expeditions? All the expeditions I have heard of have equipped their own vessels and intended to use them to bring back the riches of their viking endeavours or for trade. Surely, it is you Bjarni who must be Joking here. As for my honour and Ljarl it is not misplaced.

However, confounding our ememies and reducing their capability to wage war isnt stealing is it. Though I don't see us cutting out a enemey vessel at night larger than 30', and where would you recruit crew from?

Last edited by Algared on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:31 am

Bjarni Daasen wrote:"You are joking right Algared? I think your sense of honour is misplaced here. Stealing boats, land, women and wealth is how our ancestors lived, how we live. You need to get out more often my friend. Steal a decent ship, recruit a crew of stout rogues and go raiding ourselves."
Borygg raises his cup and nods in agreement with Bjarni's words...
Algared wrote:"When have Vikings ever stolen boats for their expeditions? All the expeditions I have heard of have equipped their own vessels and intended to use them to bring back the riches of their viking endeavours or for trade. Surely, it is you Bjarni who must be Joking here. As for my honour and Ljarl it is not misplaced."
...and then sighs to himself and shakes his head at Algared's predictable response.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:34 am

"Algared, all this talk of investments, interest and profits just does my head in. It is not talk I understand or want to understand."

"I want my coins. I want to spend them. I want a new yew bow, I've heard they are the best. I want a gold bound sword engraved with runes of power, I want a snowbear cloak to keep me warm in winter, new waterproof leggings. I want a shield that carries the mark of Anhu like the one I lost, not the dagansman's shield that I stole from the dead. I want jewellery so everyone, including the beautiful women, know how successful I am. I want wealth on me when I die to take to me to Talagaad."

"Most of all I want my coin to buy Gelda if Jabor ever decides to free her. If I give my coin to you not only can I not spend it on what I want, I can't give her her chance of freedom. Is this boat worth two lives?"

"As for what I would do. I would start a new live somewhere. Live the life of a hunter. Or maybe I was wrong to choose against the life as a huscarl, I could make a good huscarl. Or I will follow Svardkell's lead, fighting on Harn as a mercenary sounds like it might be fun. Maybe we should kill a lindworm and steal all its treasure."

Angrily he adds "I don't know what I would do. But I know I do not want to be carrying sacks of grain on my back from some farmer's barn, to a trader's ship all in the name of profit."

Last edited by Barak Daas on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:03 am

And you want it without effort. You complain of fighting in a shield wall because it dangerous and moan about the waiting. How far would your coin have gone were we not provisioned at Cunate's expense and needed to pay or work for your keep.

You want to go fight as a mercenary for some foreign lord for much the same as you have been doing now. Then go, but it doesnt sound like fun to me. You want the wealth without the effort or the danger. We are not privledged sons where such things fall into our lap we have to work for what we get.. you want a ship then we either capture one from our foes or invest in one. You want to go a viking then be prepared for some trading as well. No matter what you do expect to find periods of waiting and then periods of rushing and maybe even fighting whether it's storms, mosters or within a shield wall.

Don't shake your head as though I'm stopping you Borryg. I have already said I wont stop you... but nor will I accompany you, which you'll probally prefer anyway since you wont have my notions of Ljarl nagging at you all the time and cutting into you looting and wealth."

Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:00 am

"We find a longship tied up somewhere with the naught but a skeleton crew, board her at night, and sail her away. We have enough here to put a small longship to sea. As to a crew - there are always men wanting more than this," Bjarni gestures around the room. "as to trading, the type of trading I want to do is to sail into a port somewhere and offload slaves and whatever else we took in the weeks before hand. But, we still do not know what Cunate has decided. His pronouncement may trump our own plans"
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:22 am

"Yes, perhaps we sail on Pelyn, put the king and his huscarls to the sword, loot the treasury and live the rest of our lives as men rich beyond imagining" chuckles Barak.

Last edited by Barak Daas on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:45 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Two attempts to spell sell/sale/sail)
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:26 am

"Now that would be a grand idea indeed - except that you are too lazy Barak"
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:48 am

Grinning Barak grows Bjarni a good natured (pretend) punch "... And who is it who has killed the most Ibanvaal here?"
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:57 am

"With a blade, probably you. With speeches, probably Algared." Bjarni makes ready to duck in case anythign is thrown at him. Smile
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Svardkell Holg Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:52 am

Barak Daas wrote:"I want my coins. I want to spend them. I want a new yew bow, I've heard they are the best. I want a gold bound sword engraved with runes of power, I want a snowbear cloak to keep me warm in winter, new waterproof leggings. I want a shield that carries the mark of Anhu like the one I lost, not the dagansman's shield that I stole from the dead. I want jewellery so everyone, including the beautiful women, know how successful I am. I want wealth on me when I die to take to me to Talagaad."

"Now those are words that I can get behind my friends."

Barak Daas wrote:"Or maybe I was wrong to choose against the life as a huscarl, I could make a good huscarl. Or I will follow Svardkell's lead, fighting on Harn as a mercenary sounds like it might be fun."

"Huscarl would be the way to go my friend. Anyone that tells you a Mercenary's life is easy or fun is lying or trying to recruit you." Svardkell chuckles.
Svardkell Holg
Svardkell Holg

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:32 am

"Well Alfared we come back to my original point. Tomorrow we need to try and find out what Cunate's plans are, and if necessary ask for leave. And if you want to pursue the idea of a boat, for whatever purpose, then we need to know if one is available and if so what the owner wants for it."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:14 am

Barak Daas wrote:"Well Alfared we come back to my original point. Tomorrow we need to try and find out what Cunate's plans are, and if necessary ask for leave. And if you want to pursue the idea of a boat, for whatever purpose, then we need to know if one is available and if so what the owner wants for it."

I have said we will seek to find out what Cunates plans are.

As for a boat whats the point? None of you want to part with your coin so we can make more. Even Jabor will tell you There are three ways to make coin, get employment, spend your coin on something like a boat or building an tavern that will make you more coin or get it as a result of warring and viking.

And if a vessel was wanted but one isnt available here, then I'd suggest we head towards Vulenhiem and see what we can acquire. We could try Myna but I have a feeling our kinsmen will not be to eager to aid us... or we find a vessel of our foes and take it as the spoils of war, of course would be a dangerous task and involve more shield work.

But as you say Barak all our discussion may be moot and Cunate may have plans that include us that take us further afield than any dreamed or imagined."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down