From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

29 Saraju 720

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

29 Saraju 720 Empty 29 Saraju 720

Post  GM Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:26 am

Middle of the 2nd watch - The warband awake and go about their morning routines, another meal of hard tack and leftovers is had, washed down with the last of the ale.

The weather outside is cold, a strong wind blows from the north but the sky is clear of rain and only a few thin white clouds obscure the blue sky above.

Bjarni looks to the skies and says "Looks like the weather might warm up a little and it should stay dry enough too"
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

29 Saraju 720 Empty Re: 29 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:12 am

"We're the last to leave Bjarni. We best make a start if we are not to be left behind. A captain should be on his ship."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Svardkell Holg Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:20 pm

"Aye," says Svardkell with more than a little gleam in his eyes.
Svardkell Holg
Svardkell Holg

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:15 am

After breaking your morning fast and gathering the last of your belongings together, you leave the meadhall behind. Heading west, you following the trail towards Tarnbro. The trail takes you past empty fields,pastures and meadows, usually this area would be alive with children running about the fields and pastures while adults work the fields, repairing fences, weeding the crops and carrying out other tasks.

Herders would be keeping a watchful eye over their flock as they graze upon the last seasons crops and grasses along the riverbank.

By mid morning as you near the thran of Tarnbro you come upon a growing number of armed men, it turns out the Storzar's army is encamped near Tarnbro. Continuing your travels you arrive at the thran of Tarnbro. This thran is abuzz with activity, the combined Daas and Storzar's fleet lies off the the river bank, several smaller boats are moored at the wharf. The wharf is to small to allow many of the larger vessels to moor. The thran consists of a pallisaded compound sitting atop the north headland some 50' above the river, while about it the thran consisting of just over a dozen clanhouse, mainly of fishing families lies along the two main roads to the south and east. A small market square lies at the foot of the northern headland, surrounded by a cluster of buildings.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:48 am

Cresting a small rise as you approach the thran, a huge encampment can be seen to the south. The banners that can be seen indicates that this must be the main Storzar base. The number of tents reveals several thousand people living within its borders.

Making your way towards the harbour, you are able to find one of the few remaining fisherfolk who tells you that the boat you seek could anyone of the many that lay at anchor nearby. After some time you are able to locate a sailor who is able to point out the vessel you seek. The boat lays at anchor some 100 yards from the dock to the north.

The boat sits well in the water and from what you can see at this distance Cunate Daas was not embellishing when he told you of her trim lines. Her sails are furled atop her mast and several men can be seen moving about her deck. A carving on her prow is a life sized kestrel with wings outstretched and her claws dipping into the water where it attaches to the boat. The bird is carved as it would as it strikes the water to attack its prey....
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Svardkell Holg Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:49 pm

"Ah, a very good looking ship."
Svardkell Holg
Svardkell Holg

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Borygg will look around to find the wagons/carts that carried their sea chests from Ygesdram.

Post by GM After a quick search you find the person you need to speak with but he informs you that as yet they have not arrived. They should arrive either later today or about this time tomorrow
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:15 am

Bjarni, who has been uncharacteristically reticent the last few days (sorry - been out of contact in real life) swears when he sees the ship.

"She is a beauty. Lets get aboard and find out who the crew are. I suspect that a few of them will be put out that Cunate has given her care to us"
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:52 pm

Barak agrees that the boat looks fine: "The sooner we board her, the sooner we know who we will be sailing with for the next few days."

[BTW, when you say likesized kestrel, I take it you mean larger than life...?]

Post by GM I am referring to the larger breeds of the bird, which seem to be about 30cm long, I have taken a little liberty to make these birds a little larger for this region. Making the carving about a foot and a half long.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:15 pm

While waiting at the docks a sailor disembarks from a small row boat, he approaches your warband. "Are you the captain and crew for her?" he asks as he indicates the Wave Kestral. Nodding your head the man says "I am Skurgin of clan Velstaan (this clan is not known to any of you) I a here to take you aboard"

The boat obviously to small to take the warband across in one trip, makes the trip to the 'Kestrel' twice. Borygg arriving back at the docks in time to make the second trip across to the boat.

As you near the vessel you can see where the timbers are nicked and pitted from a recent battle. Making your way aboard it becomes obvious that this damage has been caused by blows from metal bladed weapons and by being struck by arrows.

Aboard the vessel you are greeted by three other men, you are informed that the rest of the crew, some fifteen men in are still ashore enjoying some shore leave. Once the last trip has been made the sailor who rowed you across ties off the small boat and joins the other three men aboard.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:49 pm

No doubt with everyone else, Barak greets the crew. "I'm Barak the Swift and I will be pulling an oar on this voyage". Once he is free he will walk round that ship and inspect the damage for himself.

Post by GM The damage to the ship is superficial, the timbers are pitted and nicked from battle (the damage should only take a few days to repair) but otherwise the ship is still seaworthy and on closer inspection her lines are sweet and she sits well in the water
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:52 pm

Bjarni introduces the others and himself to those of the original crew present and joins Barak in an inspection of the ship.

"She looks a fine vessel. The prettiest I have ever been on."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Svardkell Holg Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:17 pm

Svardkell will nod when introduced but will remain quiet. When introductions are over he goes to the side of the ship and stares off into the landscape.
Svardkell Holg
Svardkell Holg

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:41 am

After introductions with the crew that are aboard and a quick walk around the boat, you begin to take stock of what is aboard is what is needed. It would seem that ropes, sails and spares for the ship are in adequate supply, water barrels would be enough for a crew of 40 for about 5 days, other stores would keep the ship at sea for 3 days.

Given that the crew are on shore leave this will not diminish those stocks until the boat puts to sea.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:37 pm

Bjarni will ask if the crew complement, including the six of us, is up to strength - i.e. - Do we need to find a few more oarsmen?

Seeing Svardkell looking wistfully out to sea, Bjarni will clap him on the shoulder and say "Never fear, we will be sailing in Njehu's wake soon enough."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:49 pm

GM wrote:After introductions with the crew that are aboard and a quick walk around the boat, you begin to take stock of what is aboard is what is needed. It would seem that ropes, sails and spares for the ship are in adequate supply, water barrels would be enough for a crew of 40 for about 5 days, other stores would keep the ship at sea for 3 days.

Given that the crew are on shore leave this will not diminish those stocks until the boat puts to sea.
Since we don't really know the focus of our efforts and thus don't know how long we'll be traveling and the opportunities for restocking, how many days would be considered normal or typical to have stores on hand for? Is five days of water and three days of food/other what Borygg would expect to have or does he see that as a deficit that needs to be remedied?

Post by GM The information you have at hand is that the Daas is sailing to Myna - even in poor conditions it would take less than a day to make the journey.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:53 am

The sailor rubs his chin as he screws up his face in thought. "I have been told that one of you will be the new Hilmir (ships captain), another is to be our new mate and one other to be the Varnigr Hilmir (supercargo), as for the rest of you am I not sure. The bosun, Daan, is ashore at the moment, the port has 4 empty oars and the starboard watch has six. Our skogrord (ships carpenter) was wounded and has been taken ashore, I am not sure if he will be returning" he pauses before adding "his wound looked rather bad" he says almost in a whisper.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:02 pm

"I am the new captain and these are the new officers," Bjarni will indicate the members of the groups and the jobs Cunate has assigned. "I am sorry to hear of your chippie. We have lost comrades as well. Still, today is a new day. We will get our gear stowed and find another half dozen backs to fill the empty oars. There should be plenty of takers."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:24 am

The sailior nods his head "Do you want me to put word out about here that we are looking for six good men, I could go ashore now and see to it?" he says excitedly.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:32 am

"Yes - that will be good. I want experienced oarsmen and good fighters. I do not think Cunate will leave this ship underemployed"
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:52 am

The sailor smiles broadly as he turns he says to the sailor that brought you aboard "I need to go ashore" with that the two men board the small boat and row towards the shoreline.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:53 pm

About a watch later the sailor returns aboard the 'Kestrel' and informs Bjarni that he has put the word about that the boat is looking for crew and while he was ashore he also put word out to those crew already signed on to make their way aboard with all haste.

Those interested in sigining on will be at the market tomorrow by high Nolomar he informs Bjarni.

As Borygg moves about the boat searching the supplies aboard, he finds a small lock box, one of the sailors aboard hands him a key. Unlocking the box Boryyg finds the ships fund amounting to sum 126 pieces of silver.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:49 pm

Barak asks this useful sailor his name, and asks which oar should he take, and where to stow his chest (probably one and the same).
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:08 pm

The sailor smiles "My good mother would tan my hide for forgetting to introduce myself, I am Bjersi of clan Grebel of Myna" he holds out his hand in greeting. "As for where to place you, that is not for me, you will need the ships captain to assign you to a watch first"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:24 pm

"Ah well, I will just loaf around here until he does then. I think I introduced myself before, I am Barak the Quick. A hunter for my sins, and now a sailor. Previously, I've only be on my Da's boat which is a lot smaller than this and only had one watch."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next