From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

29 Nuzyael 720

+2
Jurri Grebel
GM
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

29 Nuzyael 720 - Page 2 Empty Re: 29 Nuzyael 720

Post  Borygg Raal Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:08 am

Kugald Daas wrote:"Well, that is two in favour of heading downstream immediately. Borygg, Algared and Vidar, what are your opinions?"

"If we do continue downstream, I am in favour of Barak's idea, we travel at dusk and dawn, laying up for black night and full day."

TTYL

- Kerry
I am with Jurri on this. Trying to spy on the Ibanvaaler force marching south gets us nothing in that we cannot alert anyone in time for them to do anything. Let's stick to the primary mission of reaching Froyaheim and finding out what we can about the Storzar.
As for traveling during the darkest of night, I agree with Barak that the risks outweigh the benefits. Night's blackness has been my friend on countless occasions in the past, but I was never trying to float down an unknown river any of those times.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:31 am

"My suggestion to scout our current location was more for our own safety, I want to know exactly where we lie, how close to the road we are and thus the possibility of being discovered. My thoughts are that finding the Storzer is important.

Question do we know the Ibanvaal host that vacated Froyby crossed the river to the other west bank? It would be worth finding out If it is still held by Menglana we could even ferry supplies to the Daas as well as hold up there in safety and get supplies. If the west bank has fallen as well then we need to make haste. I'm not sure what is best time to sail. while I imagine sailing only during dusk dawn and twilght would seem to offer the best cover but it could leave us as a suspicious craft clearly silouetted and raise more alarm than a vessel travelling during the day. I said it in the past, wheres the best place to hide a tree? In a forest of course. But we we are fatigued, if we sail when Barak suggests we can be under way today, if we travel by day then we are delayed for longer. having said that travelling durin the day means we cannot easily hide.

At least when we leave here we can try to ensure that the boat is stowed properly rather than the rush we had last night and that may afford us some comfort. While I know we initally wanted to confim if the host had marched, we will find that out at Froyahiem I imagine."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:07 am

"OK, it seems the preferred course is to head down river and determine when happened to Froyaheim. Sounds good. We should travel at dusk and dawn. We will take the mast down and travel with the current. That should reduce our profile and make us as quiet as possible."

"Barak, Algared and Vidar, you rig the mast as a ridge pole and sling the sail over it to make a tent. Then, stow everything as best you can. Borygg, Jurri and I will do a quick scout around to see if we can find out where we are and if there is anyone nearby. We will stay within yelling distance. As soon as we have determined if there is anyone around, we will return. If it is safe, we can take turns sleeping, with Barak, Algared and Vidar going first. We will wake when the light starts to dim and head down river as soon as as it is dark enough."

Kugald picks up his spear and shield, leaving everything else in the boat. "I don't intend to get into a fight if I can help it."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:17 am

Borygg dons his armour. He grabs his bow and strings it, then gets his quiver and club. He'll leave his spear and shield behind.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:18 am

Jurri will gather his weapons and join Kugald and Borygg. As they scout about, he'll keep an eye out for any trees that look climbable and that might provide a good vantage point for observing the surrounding area.

Post by GM The area is heavily wooded and while there a plenty of trees for you to climb, they would not provide you with any vantage point from which to view the surrounding area. Even if you did climb high enough all you would be able to see would be the canopies of the trees.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:55 am

As Jurri, Borryg and Kugald move off Algared begins to take stock of the groups rations and supplies. Then with Barak and Vidar begins stowing their gear making use of what storage is available. as he works he will ensure his shield and spear are within easy reach.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:04 am

Jurri, Borygg and Kugald gather their belongings together and head south along the river bank until the campsite is out of vision and then turn roughly east and out into the woods, soon after you leave your camp you notice the ground begin to rise as you continue heading east.

The ground is soft underfoot as you begin your journey. There is little undergrowth, with only small bushes scattered about, the ground is covered lightly with old pine needles and visibility continues to be limited to around one hundred yards.

You find the passage easy and with little undergrowth to impede you, you are able to walk quite silently through the forest. The only noises being the sounds of the wildlife and the clinking of your equipment.

The scenery becomes repetative soon after leaving the as you are walking through the trees on more than one occassion you find yourself becoming momentarily disoreintated but between Jurri, Borygg and Kugald you find your way back on track and continue your search.

You travel in a circuit around your campsite and while keeping within yelling distance find no sign of the road, nothing around but trees and you appear to be all alone.

After some time you hit the river somewhere north of your campsite and following the riverbank south you easily locate your campsite where you are reunited with the rest of the warband.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:57 pm

Kugald, Borygg and Jurri return to the boat.

"Nothing at all within yelling distance, just forest. I recommend we have something to eat and then Barak, Algared and Vidar get some sleep. Borygg, Jurri and I will take the first watch. Two can stand sentry while another rests. We depart as soon as twilight arrives."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:45 am

Time: Nearing the end of the 3rd watch.

With the search of the forest complete, Algared and Barak have completed the repairs to the boat just after Jurri, Borygg and Kugald return. Vidar continues to doze.

Kugald, Jurri and Borygg take their turn on watch as Algared and Barak join Vidar in catching what rest they can.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:48 am

Having noted previously the river current appears to be around two knots Algared calculates (mathematics) the approximate distance they travelled during the night. Based upon the plan to travel only during dawn and dusk he makes a further calculation of the distance they can expect to travel in the time period if relying upon the river alone to generate the speed. Having completed the calculations he i forms the group.

"Kuglad, Jurri, Borryg in you scouting mission I noticed you came back along the rivers bank. where you able to see any obstacles or points of refenernce, did you get a clearer view of the passage ahead? I realise you will not have seen snags, but rocks, bends and width of the river. Its better to be forewarned if possible I'm thinking."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:51 am

Time: Beginning 4th watch to end of 4th watch

The boat has been restowed, except for the sail and everyones personel gear and it remains beached and secured nearby.

The forest remains quiet except for the occassional bird landing in the trees near the warband and the calls of nature from other wildlife nearby.

After a few hours Kugald suggests that Borygg and Jurri turn in as Kugald wakes Barak, the two men stand guard for perhaps a 1/4 watch or so before Kugald wakes Vidar to continue the watch with Barak.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:59 pm

After waking Barak to take his place, Kugald crawls in under the sail and tries to get a little sleep...

"ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:16 am

Vidar awakens quite refreshed. He shares his strange dreams of scantily clad Elkyri showering him with adoration in exchange for strings of various jewelry and coins from foreign lands. He looks puzzled yet pleased.

"Well, no scantily clad Elkyri here! So what's the plan? What did I miss?"

After being caught up to date, Vidar performs his "morning" ritual and prayers, then settles in for watch-duty while the others capture some much needed rest.

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:50 am

Time: End of 4th watch to Mid 5th watch

With dusk fast approaching Vidar and Barak wake the warband and with a speed that comes from practice the warband break begin to break camp.

During the day the white fluffly clouds have started to give way to the dark ominous clouds that surely bring bad weather. Barak says to no one in particular "We should get rain tonight!" those around him look to the sky and nod in agreement.

Soon the warband have made the necessary preparations to move out, the boats sailing gear has been stowed, obvious signs of your presence have been removed or camouflaged as best as possible and your gear is aboard the boat.

With dusk nearing you untie the boat and push it out into the river, the warband quickly board and take up their positions Kugald at the bow, Algared at the tiller and Jurri and Barak watching to starboard while Vidar and Borygg watch to port. Each with oars at the ready. The boat needs to be rowed a little way out towards the middle of the river before it begins to catch the current and drift downstream.

You drift downstream with the oarsmen rarely needing to apply the oars for steerage. There are few problems (those that are encountered are easily overcome) as you make your way north downstream.

You see no sign of anyone or anything as you drift downstream.

Off to port the surrounding area remains unchanged as fields, pastures and meadows continue to roll by. On the starboard side the tree line runs all the way to the river bank while it seems the mountains rise straight out of the river.

You travel downstream for about 1/2 a watch as the darkness builds. With perhaps a 1/4 of light left with which to navigate with you reach the bend in the river. You continue to sail on and with barely any light left you decide that darkness is to near and that you had better make shore.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:09 am

"Algared, steer us towards the west bank while we can still make it out. We should make camp and wait for morning. If we cast off at first sin of false dawn, we should make a fair distance."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:41 am

Time: Mid 5th watch to near the end of the 5th watch

Under oars the boat steers for the western bank of the river. As the boat crosses from the eastern side of the river towards the western side the boats speed increases as the river current takes a better hold and you drift further downstream. As the boat touches the riverbank you can see from what barely remains of the light the ground only slightly rising away from the river.

Nearing the western bank you travel slowly along until you find a small stand of trees (approx 30m wide x 30m deep) as usual there is little undergrowth and the ground is covered with old pine needles and other old leaf matter.

Securing the boat to one of the trees the boat is pushed out of the water.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:00 am

"Let's see if we can set up the sail as a shelter and screen. Perhaps then, we can have a small fire and actually have some warm food for a change....what little food we have left. Barak, can you suggest the best way to set up camp? Vidar and Borygg, do you mind acting as sentries for the first watch?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:04 am

Kugald Daas wrote:"Vidar and Borygg, do you mind acting as sentries for the first watch?"
Borygg grabs his weapons and walks off away from the camp a bit (but within yelling range) to set up a good watch point.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:10 am

Algared once the boat is secure and camp has been made will if there is a fire prepare a warm meal. As they settle down he comments. "We could possibly have to of our oars men try fishing tomorrow as we drift or we can try fishing from the bank when its light, at least we may be able to suppliment our meager supplies."

Once the meal has been eaten and cooking gear cleaned Algared will spend time meditating upon the ways of the Odivishe.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:23 am

Time: End of the 5th watch to beginning of 6th watch...

Barak grabs the boats sail and goes about erecting a shelter for the night. Kugald offers his assistance and soon the sail has been converted to a makeshift shelter. The construction seems better than the last effort in that it offers shelter from the wind and rain. Algared ensuring that the boat is secured, he heads out with Jurri in search of some firewood.

Borygg and Vidar don their armour and gathering their weapons head up the slope towards the north western edge of the trees. They are able to find a suitable vantage point from where to watch the surrounding area. With the last of the daylight you can see Barak and Kugald erecting the shelter and then further to the south Algared and Jurri are going about gathering some wood for a fire.

Soon Algared and Jurri return with enough wood to start a fire and get some cooking done (there will not be enough dry wood for a fire all through the night though) Barak soon has a fire going and Algared has got his cooking pot, gathered some water and then call for food from Kugald, Barak and Jurri and then searching through his own pack selects some food from his own stock.

The smell of cooking begins to waft through the small stand of trees. The light from the fire is soon the only light available as darkness falls.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:54 pm

“Algared, how about you and I take the middle shift on sentry? Jurri and Barak, are you ok with the last shift? Wake everyone as soon as the first light shows over the mountain range.”

Once sentry duty is sorted out, Kugald curls up under the sail / tent to get what sleep he can. They aren’t traveling as far as he had hoped by moving just at dusk and dawn, but it is safer.

Food is soon going to be a concern. Algared’s idea of doing some fishing during the day is a good one.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:05 am

"Middle watch will be fine Kugald, we could travel faster by applying the oars I suppose if we are unable to resupply we may have to consider rowing before our supplies are depleted for once they are exhausted the option to row or sail will be removed are we tire." Algared thinks a little. "We could scout out this bank during the day? Do not know for certain the Ibanvaal host had crossed the river and taken the west bank. And if they have and are marching against the Daas then they will only have garrisons and will have unlikely removed all the Menglanan residents. If they never crossed then we may also be able to We may be able to aquire more supplies from friends. Though I admit taking such action my announce our presence and do away with our stealth." Algared remains quiet for a while then speaks this thoughts.

"If our purspose is urgent and we need stealth then we must consider doing away with drifting and increase speed. If stealth is more improtant and finding the fate of Froyahiem and the Storzers force is secondary then a slow pace drifting the river is likely better."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Replying to Algarad: "I think we can travel by sail or oars during daylight or twilight, but I don't fancy it in pitch darkness. I'll join you in the fishing tomorrow; naturally I know something about fishing off small boats" he smiles ironically.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:15 am

Borygg comes quietly but quickly back into the campsite from being out on watch.

"Guys, listen up. I smell smoke coming from that direction (points NW). It's pretty faint but it's there. Maybe a couple of us, perhaps Barak and myself, should sneak on over that way and see what we can find."
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:23 am

Assuming he was either awake or is awoken, Jurri will get himself ready quickly but quietly. Is our fire reasonably concealed or do we need to do something about that?
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next